Thursday 7 March 2024

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 7th March 2024

7th March, 2024.


It’s official: it’s Thursday morning, the day after the 2024 Budget … 

And I think there’s only so much droning from the Chancellor — Jeremy Hunt: he was just being interviewed on the Today programme — a body can put up with.

Or, at least, droning: without mentioning anything of interest to me: and many others.

Frankly?

It sounds like the Cost of Living payments have been cancelled.

That’s not a good thing.

Thousands of people relied on those … 

~≈Ü≈~

It’s got To be said: I have still not managed to sell the laptop.

Not yet, anyway.

I think a lot of the enquirers came through the few days worth of advertising I could afford.

Something I can’t afford to do again.

Thankfully?

There’s a shop in Brentwood High street that buys in, refurbs and sells on, second hand laptops.

We’ll have to see what they can offer.

~≈Ü≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

The day also saw Olga§ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        Israel named its first female party leader: on 7th March, 1969.   Who was she?

Q2)        Goldie escaped recapture for a second time: on 7th March, 1965.   What was Goldie: an eagle, giraffe or lion?

Q3)        Writer, E. L. James, was born on 7th March, 1963.   2011 saw her publish Fifty Shades of what

Q4)        Actor, Peter Sarsgaard, was born on 7th March, 1971.   He played DA Gil Colson, in which 2022 film: Minions: the Rise of Gru, The Batman or Thor: Love and Thunder?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Bloody Sunday happened on 7th March of which year: 1920, 1965 or 1970?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        6th March, 2018, saw Forbes Magazine name who as the world’s richest man?
A1)        Jeff Bezos of Amazon.

Q2)        Comedian and actor, Alan Davies, was born on 6th March, 1966.   He’s the longest running panellist on which British TV show?
A2)        QI.

Q3)        Singer, Agnes, was born: on 6th March, 1988.   She’s from where: Finland, Sweden, Norway or Denmark?
A3)        Sweden.

Q4)        6th March is the feast day of Saint Chrodegang, an early Bishop of Metz.   Where is Metz: France, Belgium or Luxembourg?
A4)        France.   (As far as I can tell, the place has nothing to do with creepy Schnapps adverts.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   6th March is Independence Day, where: Gambia, Ghana or Guinea?
A5)        Ghana.

Here’s a thought …
“People look at me like I’m a first-time director.   It drives me insane.   I’ve produced six movies.”
Director, Matthew Vaughan, born 7 March 1971.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

†        I’ve been reading Pratchett since the 1980s, Debbi!   And, as some one who used to sell role playing games?   It didn’t take much to recognise a Lankhmar pastiche when I saw it: Leiber’s Swords setting was one of the first such works TSR licensed from an outside author§.   (Sir Terry was a games master, as well as a fantasy fan: and would’ve known about that.)
        As for Mr Hunt’s rental properties … ?   I wish someone had sent that to Amol Rajan: he was interviewing the Chancellor, this morning … 
        You can … ?   Blimey, I’m mildly impressed: I hope you get a good chunk of royalties, at those prices!


‡        That’s OK, Olga: I think it got banned the minute it got posted!   It was from one of the 60th anniversary specials: where the Toymaker’s gold tooth gets pinched!
        As for Mr Hunt … ?   The less said, the better: we get a pay rise: and that’s about it!
        I saw your photo on Twitter: you definitely look woeful, there.   You have my commiserations: both on the tooth, and for the loss!   I can only hope the funeral gets a good turn out.


§        As I recall, Debbi?   TSR’s best selling, in-house, settings for Dungeons and Dragons included one called Dragonlance.   As I recall at least one of the writers of the Dragonlance novels was a devout Mormon: and used elements of their faith in the book.   It wouldn’t be the first time: Glen A Larson, the guy that created Battlestar Galactica?   Nicked chunks of the faith for that!

3 comments:

Mum said...

1 Golda Mier
2 Eagle
3 Gray
4 Thor love and Thunder
5 1970

Olga said...

Q1) Golda Meir

Q2) an eagle (It can’t be easy for a giraffe to escape from a zoo and avoid capture, to be honest).

Q3) Grey

Q4) The Batman

Q5) There are a few of those, but the only one on a 7th of March was in 1965, in Alabama. You imagine Sundays should be quiet days, but then, years back there were not many days when people had a day off and could organise...
Thanks, Paul. I'm still looking like a hamster today, although now it's less read and more blue (bruise colour). It's curious, because the implant is of one of the upper teeth, but it looks and is more swollen on the bottom (I guess good old gravity and space). We have the funeral tomorrow morning, I have an appointment of a test (a checkup) in the early afternoon, and I might have to go and collect the materials from the radio station (although it depends on how I am feeling and looking tomorrow, as it is an outdoors event. So, I might not make it tomorrow. We shall see.
I hope something comes up for the laptop.

Debbi said...

Myths, legends and fairy tales are also ripe for adaptation. Along with every writing in the public domain.

1. Golda Meir
2. an eagle
3. Grey
4. The Batman
5. 1965

The way I get paid for print books is I get the difference between the retail price and the cost of production. Since I'm the publisher or my imprint is.

The cost of production eats up most of the money. As does the wholesale discount when bookstores actually purchase them as inventory. That rarely happens for most indie authors.

Print on demand removes the need for me to warehouse my inventory. My very limited inventory. :) I buy books, as needed, in small amounts.

Nine times out of ten, I sell books at bookstore signings on consignment, with me getting 60% of the take (I think. It's been a while. I don't do a lot of signings these days, but I would like to.)

So anyway ... :)