Wednesday 18 March 2009

Cinemas, Letter’s, and local politics!

Wow.

Twice in the space of a fortnight!

As those of you who read the Gazette will know, I got my second letter published in the the Brentwood Gazette, today.   I’m pleased.

And wondering if I should be taking a wage for that!   But there’s a link to where I posted it it, here.

But, seriously, it’s nice to know that someone likes what ones written; – at least well enough to publish it.

Granted, it’s only a letter to the local paper, but nice to know the Gazette thinks I’ve something to say; – as it has, and does, to any resident who cares to write in.

One of the letters sent to the Gazette, today, from a Mrs M. L. Paul prompted me to write, again.   I’d urge to have a look at this week’s Gazette; – Brentwood Library should have, if you can’t get it from the local newsagent.   But here’s the letter I sent off today.   I don’t know if it’ll be published – third time might just be pushing it – but …

I’m writing in response to Mrs Paul letter in this week’s Gazette and ask about her definition of the word 'local'.

I feel that Mrs Paul may well have some valid points, in quoting the ONS figures that show our town has an increasingly ageing population.  However, I can’t help but wonder if these are in line with national figures – we are, after all, told that Britain has an increasingly ageing population, nationally.   I also believe that one good way to reverse this trend is to introduce facilities the younger generation will want to use.   And the more of these there are, the more people will wish to move to the area, providing increased for more of the same.   I’m no expert, but I believe it’s what’s known as a positive feedback loop.

Which brings me to my second point, here.  The definition of local.   I think I can speak for about a third of my neighbours, and some ninety percent of my friends in saying that I don’t drive.   So Mrs Paul saying that the cinema’s in Basildon, Chelmsford and Romford are ‘local’, to me, is stretching the definition.   And while Romford is easier to get by public transport, I’ll happily agree with her that it’s not a reassuring place to be, late at night.

Something I’ve heard a few people say.   But I know for many, like myself, getting to any of them is a trek.

I also know that, for those of us who rely on public transport or who don’t drive, surface, or subsurface, parking isn’t really an issue.

I’d also like to take this chance to thank Councillor Carter for providing the address of the relevant departments to write.   I must admit, I already have, in support of the development, and I’ve received some very helpful emails in return, from Janna Tweed.   To quote the end of the document she forwarded to me this morning, between Lindsay Speed, the head of her department, and Ms E Whettingsteel, one of the consultants for CBRE, ‘It does not, in the Secretary of State’s view, raise issues of such wider significance requiring a determination by her.   The decision as to whether to grant planning permission remains with Brentwood Borough Council’.

Which, barring any problems, means the the development will go ahead.   Brentwood will get the cinema it has been needing for the past twelve years. needs.

I will add, of course, that I will be posting this letter to my blog.

You can read the letter’s I got from Janna, this morning, here.   Which I’ve sent to the Gazette, I should add.

But, barring any major problems, my home town’s going to be getting the cinema it’s been needing for the past twelve years.

I feel good about that.

No comments: