Sunday 29 March 2009

Spirited Away: That’s the spirit …


You know, I’ve got to confess, times are decidedly hard, at the minute …

Recent events, and the lack of hours at work, leave me with little in the way of finances, and no weekly quizzes to actively prepare for.

Beyond the daily questions I’m posting here, of course.

Feel free to leave answer for those, folks.   It’s nice to know I’m having an effect.

I’m so short of money that I’m can’t – at the moment – see how I’m to take up the very nice invite from the No Idea’s, to sit in with them on The Rising Sun’s quiz, tomorrow night.

Which is a very nice, and very flattering invite, indeed.   Adrian, Margaret, John and Trish have bee one of the most formidable teams I had taking part in one of my quizzes, and getting a invite from them is both an honour, and praise, indeed.

But – to quote an old cliqué I’ve heard, from the people who saw the truth of it – one day at a time.

Something I did mange to do, last night, was use the hard drive recorder to tape “Spirited Away” so I could watch it today.

And I’ve got to admit, I found it rather good.

I’m not usually one for cartoons.   I think, like many of us in Britain, I grew up on 2000AD and endless repeats of Tom and Jerry cartoons and tend to think anything beyond that is kids stuff.

Reinforced by the heavily censored version of Battle of the Planets shown by the BBC, when I was a child

Which isn’t necessarily the case, of course.

I have, after all, seen Shrek and found it hysterical – plenty in there to make kids laugh, and adults laugh even louder, recognising the references.

But the  Japanese made and Hasao Miyazaki directed, Spirited Away is a different kettle of fish.

In part, I feel, because the film seems to keep the computer animation so prevalent in many animated films one sees, these days, to something of a minimum, giving Spirited Away a very old fashioned look and fell.

Another point is the simple fact is it is – as you may guess from the name of the director – a film made in Japan, originally for a Japanese audience, in Japanese – with English subtitles, I should add – and with a very Japanese look and feel to it.   I’m assuming it also draws from the varied animé traditions that have grown up in the land of the Rising Sun, over the past few years.

Which made it and very unique looking film, to my comparatively innocent eyes.

I think I can safely say I have a limited knowledge of Japan: with what I know largely picked up from news reports, an ageing copy of GURPS Japan, and the World War Two history I learnt at school, along with know roughly what Japanese letters look like, as they come enabled, under Leopard.

Actually, a bit of a side issue, here.   I used to work at a shop in Brentwood High Street, called Arnold’s Gift Centre, whose owner was a London-born chap called Arnold.   Obviously.   But I can remember something he said, when we saw a news report about the A-bombs being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki  – I think the report was about one of the anniversaries, but don’t quote me – and said he’d always mentally put the A-bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on a moral par with the Holocaust.

Which, as he was Jewish, always stuck in my mind, and definitely left an impression on me: and always gets me looking sideways at warfare.   It strengthened a long held certainty that wars are not the best way to sort out an international argument.

And that neither side behaves well in such a conflict, whatever side wins, or claims the high ground.

But, back to my earlier point, Japan is, to me, unfamiliar territory.

And “Spirited Away” an alien looking film.

But it’s also one that tells story that will be familiar, even though it’s in unfamiliar garb.

Quite simply it tells us of how Chihiro, the little girl at the heart of the story, is forced to grow up by travel through an alien enviroment, finding friends, love, meaning.

It’s a coming of age movie: a very familiar rite de passage.

And one that touches emotions in a way I’ve not seen a cartoon do.

I think I’d like you to see this film.

And let me know what you think, folks …

No comments: