Tuesday 17 March 2009

A House Of Cards

Now, I don’t know if you remember me mentioning that it’s not often good TV turns up, andthat it should be recommended, when it does?   Certainly blogged about.   I was talking about “Genesis of the Daleks”, at the time; – which is stand-out story of the classic version of “Doctor Who”.

And I have to admit, one thing I’m thankful for is the amount of stuff being re-shown on various Freeview channels.   I’m thinking in this case of Yesterday; – the newly re-named UKTV History.   Who have just made my day.

Usually, I don’t go near the dramas the station shows; –  endless Jane Austen, Catherine Cookson, and James Herriot may give me some fascinating historical viewpoints, but really don’t appeal.   It’s partly why I gone off Fred Dibnah, as well, UKTV History were showing a little bit too much, at one point …

But they have managed to bag something I missed when it was shown originally, and when it got repeated on BBC4.

Here, let me introduce you to someone …



Ian Richardson, as the career defining Sir Francis Urquhart, in “House of Cards”.   And I can’t help but think that Late Ian Richardson must have had a WHALE of a time, playing the part!

I knew, of course, that the series had a very good reputation, amongst both fans and viewers, but this is, don’t forget, the first time I’ve seen as much as the first episode.   That intro has  impressed me; – certainly the first thirty seconds – a brief line from Ian Richardson, as Sir Francis Urquart, spoken to camera – caught me, and had watching the rest of the episode.   Which sees Ian Richardson’s Chief Whip involved in mild to serious backstabbing, two parliamentary leaks, and some … ahh … dubious … transfers of money.   Fairly relevant, actually, given that Bernie Madoff seems to be having trouble, that way …

And beautifully played from all concerned, but it’s Ian Richardson that steals the show, from where I was sitting.   Many, it seems, say that Richardson derived performed was influenced heavily by “Richard the 3rd”, and “MacBeth”.   I wouldn’t swear to the former, but I did pick up on the Lady MacBeth overtones of Elizabeth Urquhart, ably played by Diane Fletcher.   And the possibly Banquoesque tones to rookie journalist, Mattie Storin – played by the gorgeous Susannah Harker.

This first episode has a lot going on; – a hell of a lot more than ITV’s “Demons”, which I wrote about, a little while ago.   Granted the latter is aimed at more of a family audience, but, given the multi layered nature of the current version of “Doctor Who”, let along something like “House …”, “Demons” did fall a bit short.

But, at any rate, I am impressed with “House of Cards”.   Certainly impressed enough to set the timer on the recorder.   And to recommend it to you.

But as for whether Sir Francis is the best, juiciest, nastiest, charming, affable, deadliest, scheming, two faced, and above all LIKEABLE villain I’ve ever seen on TV … ?


No comments: