Friday 17 February 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th February 2023.

17th February, 2023.


Right … 

I have to dusty in … !

I’m expecting a plumber: to check my aging bath tube, and change the tap in my kitchen sink.

Unfortunately?

I’ve been told he’ll turn up between eight AM and five PM.

Bar possibly sneaking out to put my cost of living voucher onto my gas?

I’m going to be stuck indoors all day!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        17th February, 1490, saw the birth of Charles 3rd.   Charles was a duke of where: Aquitaine, Bourbon or Orléans?

Q2)        17th February, 1912, saw the birth of which writer: Ursula Le Guin, Andre Norton or Marion Zimmer Bradley?

Q3)        Actor, Hal Holbrook was born on 17th February, 1925.   He played Deep Throat in which 1976 film: The Girl from Petrovka, All the President’s Men or Midway?

Q4)        17th February, 1979, saw China invade where: Vietnam, South Korea or Taiwan?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Ranger 8 probe photographed the Sea of Tranquility: on 17th February, 1965.   Where is the Sea of Tranquility: Mars, Earth or the Moon?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The Kyoto Protocol came into force: on 16th February, 2005.   The Protocol is supposed to reduce what: intercontinental ballistic missiles, greenhouse gas emissions or landmines?
A1)        Greenhouse gas emissions.

Q2)        16th February is the feast day of Saint Juliana of Nicomedia.   She’s traditionally pictured leading a what on chains: a devil, a donkey or a dancing bear?
A2)        A devil.

Q3)        Boutros Boutros-Ghali died on 16th February, 2016.   He served as the Secretary General of the what: United Nations, Communist Party of China or the Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Thinking Persons?
A3)        The United Nations or UN.

Q4)        The Altmark was boarded by the Royal Navy: on 16th February, 1940.   The German ship was a what: battle cruiser, oil tanker or hospital ship?
A4)        Oil tanker. (It was targeted as it was carrying British PoWs.)

Q5)        Finally … ? Andy Ducat was born on 16th February, 1886.   He played cricket for which county side: Somerset, Surrey or Sussex?
A5)        Surrey.   (He’s the only player to have died playing at Lords.   He was also a quartermaster, during his army days.   Cue the music.)
Here’s a thought … 
“It can happen that two people can love each other and not be able to get on at all.”
Alan Bates, 17 February 1934 – 27 December 2003.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        He was the only player to die playing at Lord’s, I know that, Olga!   If you’re going to go, go there.
        At any rate … I might have a chance to put the chair together, today … once I’ve done the next set of videos, caught up with Picard, got my gas paid for … it’s one of those days … !

        Hello, Mum!

        I hope so, Debbi: there can be all sorts of misunderstandings!   Oh, I’m going to be starting on Picard, season three, tonight: I’ll have my review up, tomorrow.   (The first episode’s called The Next Generation.   I wonder who else is in it … … )

3 comments:

Olga said...



Q1) Bourbon

Q2) Andre Norton

Q3) All the President’s Men (I think it’s 1925 not 1924, at least according to Wikipedia and IMDB)

Q4) Vietnam

Q5) the Moon
It sounds as if you have one of those busy but stuck days. I hope you can do everything you plan and you don't have to wait too much for the engineer to come. I've been having a bit of a cold and I can hardly talk today. I was supposed to be covering a children's carnival party tomorrow morning (I was supposed to be a member of the jury to decide on the fancy dresses as well), but I don't know if I'll have any voice left tomorrow or not. I've messaged the editor of the programme to see what he thinks. It is an open-air event, with music and noise, so it is common to run out of voice by the end of it even when your throat is OK, so I don't know.

Freda said...

1 Bourbon
2 Andre Norton
3 All the Presidents Men
4 Veitnam
5 Moon

Debbi said...

And someday perhaps we may see it. We'll see how that goes.

1. Bourbon
2. Andre Norton
3. All the President's Men
4. Vietnam
5. the Moon