Sunday 5 February 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5-2-2023 — La Constitución.

5th February, 2023: La Constitución.


Right … it’s officially Sunday … and I’m expecting a quiet day.

It’s a Sunday, after all.

And, frankly?

The most exciting thing I’m expecting to happening?

Is going for a walk!

At any rate … ?   I mention a video in the intro, didn’t I … ?

Yes: I’ve covered the next episode of classic Dr Who series, The Crusade … !


~≈◊≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        5th February is Constitution Day in Mexico.   It marks the day the country adopted its Constitution.   5th February, when: 1915, 1917 or 1919?

Q2)        The Constitution named Mexico as a federal what: republic, monarchy or stratocracy?

Q3)        The Constitution names who as head of state: the president, monarch or cardinal archbishop of Tijuana?

Q4)        Mexico’s constitution is in which European language: Spanish, Portuguese or Italian?

Q5)        Finally … ?   A clause in the Constitution prevents the capital city becoming a federal state.   What IS the country’s capital?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Forty-six of the forty-seven ronin committed suicide on 4th February, 1703: in what was then called Edo.   Edo is now called what: Chiba, Hamamatsu, Tokyo or Nagasaki?
A1)        Tokyo.

Q2)        Ceylon became independent from the UK: on 4th February, 1948.   What’s Ceylon now called: Sri Lanka, Madagascar or Vanuatu?
A2)        Sri Lanka.

Q3)        4th February is the International Day of Human Fraternity.   The word ‘fraternity,’ comes from the Latin word for what: brother, sister or cousin?
A3)        Brother.

Q4)        Observers from the International Commission of Control and Supervision went where, on 4th February, 1973: Korea, Vietnam or Cambodia?
A4)        Vietnam.

Q5)        Finally … ?   According to Wolfram Alpha, 4th February, 2023, will see the sun rise in the UK at 7.34 GMT.   GMT stands for Greenwich Mean … what?
A5)        Greenwich Mean Time.
Here’s a thought … 
“The Constitution of Mexico, formally the Political Constitution of the United Mexican States, is the current constitution of Mexico.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the Mexican Constitution.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

        Ooooh … it’s a badly written email that’s causing issues, Olga?   That doesn’t surprise me: some of the ones I read at my last job were horror stories!   Would I be right … in assuming that Argentinian Spanish, and Castilian Spanish are as different as British and American English?   Because I know that can cause issues, occasionally.   (As I recall, Orwell’s supposed to have sent reams of letters to his US publishers: about whether ‘onto’ was hyphenated or not^.)
        At ANY rate … ?   I hope you managed to get the interview sorted!
        Yeah, laminating would be helpful: but it would cost, and not fit in a pocket.

        You have to give him credit for trying, Debbi!   Oh, Hanif Kureishi’s just been on the radio: being interviewed after a devastating fall.   I was getting a touch cynical when he said “… blogs take two, two and a half hours, to write,” until I remembered he’s lost the use of both hands.
        Which makes me wonder … would any of the research being done for his injuries be help for dystonia sufferers?   I suspect it might not, but thought I’d ask.

^        My copy of Harts says it —and most other compound words — are hyphenated in British English, but not in American English.   But, apparently, the only British English exception is the word ‘no-one.’   I’m assuming that’s so it doesn’t get mixed up with the word, ‘noon.’

4 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Before I forget … ?

Tomorrow’s set is a 10 question one about Massachusetts … 

Freda said...

1 1917
2 Republic
3 President
4 Spainish
5 Mexico City

Olga said...

Q1) 1917

Q2) republic

Q3) the president

Q4) Spanish

Q5) Mexico City
Oh, yes, there are differences between Spanish from Spain and from Argentina (although the biggest differences I've noticed are in the use of specific words that we would use with different meanings and vice versa). But the e-mail was from her publishers here (well, with the company that looks after the promotion, I think), and it was in Catalan. The thing that confused me the most is that she mentioned an interview on Wednesday, when I had the interview scheduled for Monday. In any case, the person responsible phoned me, so it is all clear now. She might talk to me for a few minutes, but we shall see. In any case, I'm expecting to enjoy the literary chats.
I was supposed to be having a class with Jordi, but after a week's holiday, I guess the work has piled up, so we won't be doing a class tomorrow, and that means I will have time to catch up on the teaser, even if it is a ten question one.
I'll keep you posted on the interview or not, hopefully on Tuesday (although now I'm meeting a friend in the morning, so it depends on how long our chat goes on for).

Debbi said...

Yeah, actually it kinda does help.

Allegedly, I should be able to retrain my brain to change in whatever way needed to fix my problem, if I keep my using my hand and foot as one usually would without the problem. However, it would take me forever to write a novel or screenplay entirely that way. I can certainly empathize with the guy.

1. 1917
2. republic
3. the president
4. Spanish
5. Mexico City

I just managed to do it now. But barely. :)

I'm trying to get in the habit of playing the keyboard again.

I was a really good pianist many years ago. Actually, considered music as a career. But now I can write about it. La dee da! :)