Thursday 16 February 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th February 2023.

16th February, 2023.



I’m right, aren’t I … ?

If it’s not one thing, it’s another!

After the Great Disc Problem of a couple of days ago?   Where my external optical drive stopped working?   And was fixed by a further update?

Yesterday, I started having issues with Safari, my default browser.

It started refusing to open, when needed: bouncing up and down in a way that told me there was issues.

When opening, most Mac apps — if they’re on the Dock at the bottom of the screen — will bounce up and down to tell you they’re opening.


If they stay bouncing, without opening?

You know you’ve got issues.

I had an issue: one I didn’t figure out … until I had a look at the other account on my Mac.

Which had a perfectly working version of Safari.

Which meant the problem was one I had encountered, before.

My Safari .plist file was causing problems.

In Windows, there’s a thing called the Registry: which is where Windows operating systems store users settings on a given machine.

It’s one great big file: way down deep.

.plist files are the nearest Mac equivalent: there your settings for each app you use.

Except there’s multiple ones.   One for each app, each user’s using on a machine.   I’ve got one for Safari, another for Firefox, a third for iMovie, and one for each of the other apps I use.

There’s separate ones for Safari, Firefox,  iMovie, and the other apps … in the other account on this machine.

Diagnosing problems with a .plist file is relative easy.   You log out of your account, and into another: if the app in question works in the latter account, the .plist file in your account has gone wrong.

Your copy of the file only needs deleting, for the app to work.

I logged out of my user account, into the other … to find the other Safari was working perfectly.

My .plist file had gone wrong.

It was a relatively trivial job to delete the thing: it took longer to find it, than to get rid of it.

But once that was done, and Safari working properly?

I heaved a sigh of relief.

~≈🆘≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The Kyoto Protocol came into force: on 16th February, 2005.   The Protocol is supposed to reduce what: intercontinental ballistic missiles, greenhouse gas emissions or landmines?

Q2)        16th February is the feast day of Saint Juliana of Nicomedia.   She’s traditionally pictured leading a what on chains: a devil, a donkey or a dancing bear?

Q3)        Boutros Boutros-Ghali died on 16th February, 2016.   He served as the Secretary General of the what: United Nations, Communist Party of China or the Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Thinking Persons?

Q4)        The Altmark was boarded by the Royal Navy: on 16th February, 1940.   The German ship was a what: battle cruiser, oil tanker or hospital ship?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Andy Ducat was born on 16th February, 1886. He played cricket for which county side: Somerset, Surrey or Sussex?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        15th February is the Feast day of Saint Sigfrid of where: Sweden, Norway or Finland?
A1)        Sweden.

Q2)        15th February is Parinirvana Day.   It’s marked by whom: Muslims, Sikhs or Buddhists?
A2)        Buddhists.

Q3)        15th February, 2023, is a Wednesday.   The Latin phrase for Wednesday is dies Mercurii. Which means Day of whom: Jupiter, Mercury or Aphrodite?
A3)        Mercury.

Q4)        ENIAC was dedicated on 15th February, 1946.   The world’s first general purpose computer was held where: Jesus College Oxford, the University of Pennsylvania or MIT?
A4)        The University of Pennsylvania.

Q5)        Finally … ?   15th February, 1995, saw the birth of Megan Jovon Ruth Pete.   She’s better known as which American rapper: Megan thee Stallion, the Real Roxette or Missy Elliot?
A5)        Megan thee Stallion.
Here’s a thought … 
“There came a point when if a conspiracy was that powerful and subtle it became pointless to worry about it.”
From Chapter 5 of Excession, by Iain M. Banks, 16 February 1954 – 9 June 2013.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!   (I think you got mixed up, somewhere, yesterday.)

        I’ve STILL not got to the chair, Olga!   I have a pile of stuff to do, yesterday!   And I’m due at the Job Centre, today!
        I see what you mean about Abilify!   I get the impression, though, that usually — usually — pharma companies are a little careful about that.

        Yep: sounds like we’re Pisces, Debbi.   (I know it’s pronounced PIE seas.    I’ve also heard pronounced PISK ease!   Which is a bit of a mouthful.)

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) greenhouse gas emissions

Q2) a devil (a winged devil, to be precise)

Q3) United Nations

Q4) oil tanker

Q5) Surrey. What a way to go! At least he went doing what he like, I guess.
Keep me posted on the chair, although, with your explanation about Safari, I'm not surprised you didn't have time to do a lot of things yesterday.

Freda said...

1 Greenhouse gas emissions
2 a devil
3 United Nations
4 Tanker
5 Surrey

Debbi said...

That's right. PIE-ces. You are correct, sir! :)

1. greenhouse gas emissions
2. a devil
3. United Nations
4. oil tanker
5. Surrey