Friday 24 February 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24th February 2023.

24th February, 2023.


Yes: it’s Friday.

Yes: I went shopping, yesterday.

And yes … 

There’s always something I forget!

Tea bags and sugar.

Saying that … ?

I’ve got enough for now.

But given I’ve learnt how to use the shopping list app on the relevant shop’s App?

Yes: I’m kicking myself!

~≈🛒≈~

You know … I’ve a question in today’s set: about Russia’s invasion of somewhere, a year ago, today.

It should be obvious where I’m talking about: but I don’t want to give you too many clues!

At any rate?   I sympathies are with the invaded small nation.

And, try as I might … ?

I’m thinking I should try and find a copy of the old 2000AD strip, Invasion: about a Volganha! — invasion of Britain.

Thinking of that story is inevitable, given the day.

At any rate … ?

I can remember that many I knew were showing support for the country: by adding the now familiar blue and yellow flag to their profiles.


Something I’ve personally not done: and don’t see myself doing.

Why?   Outside of thinking it’s virtue signalling, and groupthink*?

I don’t think it serves any useful purpose.

It’s not sending bullets, tanks or planes to the invaded country’s army, after all.

~≈🥷≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw MumOlga‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)         Louis Philippe 1st abdicated: on 24th February, 1848.   As king of where: Spain, France, Italy or Germany?

Q2)        Ninety-eight years later, 24th February, 1946, saw Juan Perón elected President.   President of where: Argentina, Bolivia or Colombia?

Q3)        24th February, 2022, saw Russian forces invade where?   (As I wrote this set, President Zelenskyy, the invaded country’s leader, was given a rousing speech to MPs.)

Q4)        24th February, 1955, saw the birth of Steve Jobs.   From 1985 to 1997, he was head of which company: NeXT Inc, Apple or Disney?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The last battle of the Cudgel War was fought on 24th February, 1597: in what was then called Ostrobothnia.   Ostrobothnia is now part of where: Finland, Sweden or Norway?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        23rd February is the Emperor’s Birthday.   Where: Thailand, Japan or India?
A1)        Japan.

Q2)        Who IS that Emperor: Naruhito, Akihito or Hirohito?
A2)        Naruhito.

Q3)        The Emperor sits on the what: Chrysanthemum Throne, Begonia throne or Porcelain Throne?
A3)        The Chrysanthemum Throne.

Q4)        The Emperor is part of the what dynasty: Yamato dynasty, Tomato dynasty or Takamura dynasty?
A4)        The Yamato dynasty.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The birthday will be marked by a public holiday: and a ceremony at the Imperial Palace.   The Imperial Palace, where: Bangkok, Tokyo or New Delhi?
A5)        Tokyo.
Here’s a thought … 
“Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me.”
Steve Jobs, February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        The phrase was apparently coined by writer and journalist, William H. Whyte.   Going by the Wikipedia entry for the word?   Whyte was a fan of Orwell’s 1984.   You have to love Newspeak, to add a word to it!

        Hello, Mum!

        I think it’s going to be one of those scandals, Olga: it’s not the first time the Academy’s done something like it.
        I thin k the only thing I had trouble finding, yesterday — at least, the only thing on my shopping list I had trouble finding!!!!! — was toilet rolls.   I found the ones I needed … after several yards of empty shelves.   They were having trouble with milk, too.

^        I can’t say I blame you, Debbi!   I don’t know if 2000AD has a US site, but it might be worth looking out for.   (Oh, I borrowed the blu-ray of Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. from a friend: some of the extras look good.)

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 France
2 Argentina
3 Ukraine
4 Walt Disney
5 Finland

Olga said...

Q1) France

Q2) Argentina

Q3) Ukraine

Q4) NeXT Inc

Q5) Finland
I agree with your comment about Ukraine's flags and others... The issue for me is that many people will change their profiles every two seconds (or every second day, to be fair) according to whatever the new popular cause is, and that, to my mind, means that they seem to be all interchangeable to them. And, what good does it do? I think there might be some comfort, initially at least, knowing others are thinking of it and showing their support, but I am sure most people there will have other things to worry and care about. I am not big on Bible, but I've always thought the saying (I went and checked) from Matthew 6:3 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing," is right. Do whatever you do because you think it is the right thing to do, not so that others see how good you are or thank you for it.
I hope you can get tea and sugar, but at least those shouldn't be too complicated to get nearby (although sugar is one of the foodstuff's that has increased a lot in price here. Mind you, I don't buy it, but my mother does, for herself).

Debbi said...

Love the quote from Steve Jobs. I think it's fair to say he created a real legacy.

1. France
2. Argentina
3. Ukraine
4. NeXT
5. Finland