Monday 6 February 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6-2-2023 — Massachusetts.

6th February, 2023: Massachusetts.


Yes: it’s officially Monday.

And … ?

I’ll have a video review up, later.

I managed to catch the first episode of For All Mankind’s first series, last night.

And came away mildly impressed.

I’ll post it and the written review, later.

~≈¥≈~

I’m due to be at a phone hearing on the 8th: by phone, at 14:45.

At least, in theory, on the 8th, by phone.

I checked my online account, yesterday: and it seems that the hearing is still on the 8th.

At King’s Lynn Magistrate’s Court.

I’m hoping that’s a typo!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        Massachusetts joined the Union.   On 6th February of which year: 1787, 1788 or 1789?

Q2)        It was which state to do so: the fifth, sixth or seventh?

Q3)        The state is the what of Massachusetts: the Commonwealth, Province or Republic?

Q4)        What’s the State’s capital city: Boston, Worcester or Springfield?

Q5)        That capital is home to a type of what: barbecue sauce, baked beans or pizza?

Q6)        The first permanent English colony in the USA was in Massachusetts.   What was it called: Portsmouth, Plymouth or Dartmouth?

Q7)        Massachusetts was on which side, in the American Civil War: the Union, or Confederate?

Q8)        The first — and third — governor of Massachusetts was John Hancock.   In US slang, John Hancock is your what: signature, spectacles or feet?

Q9)        MIT is a university in Massachusetts. MIT is the Massachusetts Institute of what?

Q10)        Finally … ?   The 41st President of The United States was from Massachusetts.   Who was he?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        5th February is Constitution Day in Mexico.   It marks the day the country adopted its Constitution.   5th February, when: 1915, 1917 or 1919?
A1)        1917.

Q2)        The Constitution named Mexico as a federal what: republic, monarchy or stratocracy?
A2)        A Federal republic.

Q3)        The Constitution names who as head of state: the president, monarch or cardinal archbishop of Tijuana?
A3)        The president.

Q4)        Mexico’s constitution is in which European language: Spanish, Portuguese or Italian?
A4)        Spanish.

Q5)        Finally … ?   A clause in the Constitution prevents the capital city becoming a federal state.   What IS the country’s capital?
A5)        Mexico City.
Here’s a thought …
“Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and I found that out when I was Attorney General in Massachusetts.”
Edward Brooke.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

        That sounds very familiar, Olga: the US and UK definitions of words like ‘fag^,’ can cause endless confusion.   That applies to different terms for the same thing, too: Debbi’s got a cell phone, I’ve got a mobile.   But you knew that!   :D   Either way … ?   It sounds like you’re due for a good afternoon!
        Talking of literature … ?   I’ve started reading a short story collection called Temps.   It, and the follow up, were fun.   (It’s about a bunch of super heroes … working for the Civil Service …)

        Go for it, Debbi: it sound like a good idea.   If it’s any help, most (musical) keyboards can be plugged into a Mac, and used with GarageBand.   At any rate, I hope the set, today, isn’t too challenging!   I’ve tried to keep the answers short: but that’s not always possible!
        Oh, I’ve mentioned it to Olga, already, but I’ve just started a short story collection called Temps.  It’s  fun: and edited by Neil Gaiman.   (I’m on the second story, by Dave Langford.   Which is quite a piece of work.)

^        There’s a scene in Good Omens that exploits it, Olga.   A modern English witch-finder meets a US soldier, and asks him for faggots: then tells the soldier, “We burn them.”   The (slightly conservative) soldier gets a look on his face.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1788

Q2) sixth

Q3) the Commonwealth

Q4) Boston

Q5) baked beans

Q6) Plymouth

Q7) the Union

Q8) signature

Q9) Technology (I visited the IT Museum a number of years back, and it was well-worth the visit. Those were early days of AI and they already had a lot of interesting things going on. Harvard is well-worth a visit as well. I do like Boston and Cambridge. (“That” Cambridge. Well, the UK one as well, although if I had to choose, I prefer Oxford.)

Q10) George H. W. Bush
I take note about the stories. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but I have just read a book called "How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems by Randall Munroe", and I think you might enjoy it. The author has a blog as well, and he likes to apply science to some pretty bonkers ideas. He also likes to do funny drawings (stick figures, but normally it is the actual dialogue or the actions that are the funny bit).
Talking about different words for same thing and vice versa, recently there was a never ending discussion on Twitter about how you call this, and that, in Spanish. There is something we call altramuces (I had to check, and it seems they are called either sweet lupines or the seeds of sweet lupines. Here they are eaten in salt water, a bit like olives, as a snack), but in many parts of Spanish-speaking America they call them "chochos" and let's say that, in Spanish from Spain, that is a colloquial way to refer to a part of the female anatomy. I can't look at the things these days and not chuckle.
Oh, I remember shortly after landing in the USA to spend a year studying at Mount Holyoke (yes, Massachusetts, but I know I've mentioned that before) they took us shopping, and I we couldn't find the shopping trolleys, so I asked one of the supermarket employees, and she looked as me as I was mad, until I remember it was a shopping cart there!

Freda said...

1 1788
2 6th
3 Commonwealth
4 Boston
5 Baked Beans
6 Plymouth
7 Union
8 Signature
9 Technolgy
10 George H W Bush

Debbi said...

I'll have to look for it. Neil is darn good. :)

1. 1788
2. sixth
3. the Commonwealth
4. Boston
5. baked beans
6. Plymouth
7. the Union
8. signature
9. Technology
10. George H. W. Bush