Saturday 4 February 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4th February 2023.

4th February, 2023.


Right … it’s Saturday, 4th February: and a month away from my birthday.

It you want to buy me an expensive present, now is possibly the time!

Ahem!

On a more serious note?

I noticed this piece on the BBC’s news site.

It tells us how parliamentary candidate, Heidi Alexander, is concerned how recently introduced voter ID requirements — for ID that will be needed in May’s local elections — hasn’t been taken up.

I think she may have a point.

When the scheme originally announced, there were costs involved.

But the Voter Registration Certificate*, itself, is now free.

However?

If you can’t take a photo with your smart phone, you have to get a (charged for) passport photo.

THEN find some some way of sending it in.

The scheme is going to cause problems.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.



The day also saw Olga^ leaving us a message!

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        Forty-six of the forty-seven ronin committed suicide on 4th February, 1703: in what was then called Edo.   Edo is now called what: Chiba, Hamamatsu, Tokyo or Nagasaki?

Q2)        Ceylon became independent from the UK: on 4th February, 1948.   What’s Ceylon now called: Sri Lanka, Madagascar or Vanuatu?

Q3)        4th February is the International Day of Human Fraternity.   The word ‘fraternity,’ comes from the Latin word for what: brother, sister or cousin?

Q4)        Observers from the International Commission of Control and Supervision went where, on 4th February, 1973: Korea, Vietnam or Cambodia?

Q5)        Finally … ?   According to Wolfram Alpha, 4th February, 2023, saw the sun rise in the UK at 7.34 GMT.   GMT stands for Greenwich Mean … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        3rd February is the traditional date of Setsubun.   Where: Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan or Japan?
A1)        Japan.

Q2)        Which British Prime Minister made the Wind of Change speech on 3rd February, 1960: Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan or Clement Attlee?
A2)        Harold Macmillan.

Q3)        Alfredo Stroessner was overthrown: on 3rd February, 1989.   As dictator of which South American country?
A3)        Paraguay.

Q4)        3rd February, 1922, saw the death of writer, John Butler Yeats.   Where was he from: Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or England?
A4)        Ireland.

Q5)        Finally … ?   3rd February, 1956, saw the birth of actor, Nathan Lane.   He plays Ernie Smuntz.   In what: The Birdcage, Mouse Hunt or Penny Dreadful: City of Angels?
A5)        Mouse Hunt.   (He’s fantastic in Penny Dreadful: City of Angels).
Here’s a thought … 
“I haven’t had an alcoholic drink in 22 years, but when I did drink I’d go for either Canadian whisky or Budweiser.   Sometimes both.   For a long time I used to think ‘Hey you, get off the floor!’ was my name.”
Alice Cooper, February 4, 1948.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        I’m thankful it’s now free: the prices first suggested were prohibitive, for those of us on benefits.   The downside of that?   Is that my certificate is an unlaminated, easily damaged, sheet of A4 paper.   If it were laminated, it would be better protected … but harder to fit in a wallet or pocket.   I’m assuming a paid for version would laminated, credit sized, fit in a wallet … and possibly tap dance.   Ever get the feeling we’ve been cheated … ?


        Hello, Mum!   (It was Ireland, rather than Northern Ireland, Mum: and Mousehunt!)

‡        I think I’m going to need it, Debbi!   Oh, I’ll have my reviews of the next episode of The Crusade up, later.   Oh, and I thought I should pass this on: you have to give John Lydon credit for trying!

^        OK: cheers for letting us know, Olga!   I hope the station manages to get things sorted out.   (And cheers.   The meeting went well: and hopefully, the hearing will go well, too.   I just need to discuss things with my GP.)

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 Tokoyo
2 Sri Lanka
3 Brother
4 Vetniam
5 Time

Olga said...

Q1) Tokyo

Q2) Sri Lanka

Q3) brother

Q4) Vietnam

Q5) Time
Thanks, Paul. It wasn't a problem with the radio station, but with one of the news items I am supposed to be covering on Monday. I got an e-mail telling me that one of the interviews I had arranged with a well-known Argentinian author (Claudia Piñeiro, I'm covering a festival of crime and noir novel here in Barcelona) had to be cancelled. I thought she wasn't going to be there at all that day and perhaps the other event I was covering wouldn't go ahead either, but it was a problem with the way the e-mail was written, as she will be there on Monday, but will be leaving the next day. I might or might not get to talk to her briefly that day, but at least can cover the event.
I know there were some printing and photography shops that were offering laminated versions of the COVID certificate here, but there was a cost (small) involved, and it might be difficult depending on the format of the document. If you only get the papercopy and not an electronic version, it could be done but it might not work out too well...

Debbi said...

Wow! Johnny is truly awesome! I am impressed.

1. Tokyo
2. Sri Lanka
3. brother
4. Vietnam
5. Time