Monday 20 March 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20th March 2023.

20th March, 2023.


Yes: I think I’m officially getting old.

I’ve got a painkilling gel for me knees: one that’s not as powerful as the co-codamol I’ve got, but equally, not one that makes me sleepy.

So … ?

I went to smear some on my knee, this morning.

I’m glad I was a little slow.

I realised I’d picked up the toothpaste … before I put it on my joints.

That could’ve been entertaining … 

~≈Œ≈~

It’s strange how time flies, sometimes.

Radio 4’s Today programme is reminding me it’s been twenty years since the start of the US Invasion of Iraq.

To the day.

That’s possibly going to be argued about for years: and something I felt was possibly — very possibly — unneeded … and possibly illegal.

It’s also, possibly something that’s given Vladimir Putin ideas.

Although I don’t see the US encouraging its allies to invade Russia: after the latter invaded a smaller neighbour.

At any rate?

It’s something I didn’t like then … and don’t like now.

But … ?

That still reminds me of a joke that was doing the rounds at the time.

Uday Hussein goes out to buy his father, Saddam, a gift.

And gave it to his father in a carrier.

When he handed it over to his father?

He said “The shop had run out of boxes, so they put it in a bag, Dad.”

I didn’t say it was a good joke, now did I … ?

~≈Œ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The United Nations has six official languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.   Which of them is celebrated on 20th March?

Q2)        The Jules Rimet Trophy was stolen: on 20th March, 1966.   The trophy was usually awarded to the winners of which: football’s World Cup, Snooker’s World Championship or the World Conker Championship?

Q3)        20th March is World what Day: World Finch Day, World Tit Day or World Sparrow Day?

Q4)        20th March is the International Day of Happiness.   When was it first marked: 2013, 2014 or 2015?

Q5)        Finally … ?   20th March is the feast day of Saint Cuthbert of Lindisfarne.   His tomb is where: Durham Cathedral, Saint Paul’s Cathedral or Lindisfarne Island?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Governor Fred B. Balzar approved the law that allowed gambling: on 19th March, 1931.   It allowed gambling, where: Texas, California or Nevada?
A1)        Nevada.

Q2)        Bruce Willis was born on 19th March, 1955.   He’s recently been diagnosed with a form of what: HIV/AIDS, Dementia or Cancer?
A2)        Dementia.

Q3)        Frank Nitti committed suicide on 19th March, 1943.   He’d been leader of which city’s Mafia: Chicago’s, Detroit’s or San Francisco’s?
A3)        Chicago’s.   (He’d taken over as boss after the — um — retirement of Al Capone.)

Q4)        ver.di was formed on 19th March, 2001.   It’s a trade union in which European Country?
A4)        Germany.   The group’s full name is Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft.   Just don’t ask me how to pronounce it!

Q5)        Finally … ?   19th March is Kashubian Unity Day.   Where: Poland, Finland or Estonia?
A5)        Poland.   (The Kashubians are an ethnic group in what’s now Poland.)
Here’s a thought …
“He’s hit the beans on toast.”
Paul Merson, born 20 March 1968.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Hello, Mum!

        That they did, Olga, that they did!   Whether I can submit that, now, or wait until the tribunal, I don’t know.   I’ve just emailed them: but suspect I won’t be able to send them that video.   It’s too big.
        I hope so, too, Olga.   I’ve had my issues with alcohol, over the years: so having an opiate in the flat, even a mild one, is just a little bit unnerving!

        I have to admit, Liquid Television isn’t something I’ve heard of: although the Wikipedia entry says it aired on BBC 2.   It’d probably get a look in on BBC 3, these days.   And Argh! It’s The Mr Hell Show would fit right in!
        You know, about the only things I can remember Johnny Lee Miller in?   Were Hackers, and Trainspotting.   I can remember watching Hackers, and being more interested in what Macs people were using!


5 comments:

trev-v said...

Once again you have got the scores wrong. All 5 Ladies put in the same answers. So why has 1 got five right and the other 2 4 right ?

Nik Nak said...

It’s OK, I got it corrected, Trevor … 

Olga said...

Q1) French

Q2) Football’s World Cup

Q3) World Sparrow Day

Q4) 2013

Q5) Durham Cathedral
Keep me posted on how things develop. Oh, and I did the opposite. I put the painkiller gel on my toothbrush. Luckily I realised before using it, but getting rid of it wasn't easy. Perhaps that shows that they should make the containers different from each other... Or perhaps we should pay more attention.

Freda said...

1 French
2 World Cup football
3 Finch Day
4 2013
5 Durham Cathedral

Debbi said...

Interesting. I just printed the screenplay for Hackers, but haven't seen the movie.

I have seen Trainspotting. I liked it a lot.

1. French
2. football's World Cup
3. World Sparrow Day
4. 2013
5. Durham Cathedral