Sunday 19 June 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19-6-2016

I hate my guts!

Hmmm … 

Let me try and explain that, if I can.

I’ve started to suffer with bouts of stomach cramps: that my doctor’s linked to IBS.

To try and keep a lid on this?   I have to basically watch what I eat.   Some things set it off, basically, and some things don’t.

Yesterday?

Yesterday, as I was due to work from 16:30 to closing time, I had an early dinner.

A baked spud, pie, and some mixed veg.

Which set off my stomach: forcing me to phone in ill.

That’s … 

Understandably, that’s NOT something I’m happy about.

For starters, the box of pies concerned?   Were new: a brand I’d had before, with no problems.   Indeed, that was the second pie from a box of four.

The first one didn’t set off my stomach.

The second did!

So that’s one thing.

The other?

The other, and really annoying, thing?

Is that I’ve now lost eight hours work.

Being ill.

I am not a happy bunny … !

~≈†≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring ten out of ten, and Debbi bagging nine.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 19th June, 1978, saw the birth of actress, Zoe Saldana.   Which character does she play, in the new Star Trek films?
Q2) Who — in his absence — was found guilty of murdering Sandra Rivett, on 19th June, 1975?
Q3) Cartoon strip, Garfield, debuted on 19th June, 1978.   Exactly what kind of animal IS Garfield?
Q4) 19th June, 1934, saw President Franklin D Roosevelt sign the law that brought the Federal Communications Commission into being.   The FCC regulates the use of what by the US, and its citizens: radio, prescription medication or air-travel?
Q5) Finally … A solar eclipse occurred: on 19th June, 1917.   Such an eclipse happens when what, comes between Earth and the sun?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th June saw the then Prime Minister deliver his This was their Finest Hour speech.   To whom: the House of Lords or the House of Commons?
A1) The House of Commons.
Q2) In which year?
A2) 1940.
Q3) The speech was delivered by the then Prime Minister.   Who was he?
Q4) The speech was given during World War Two.   By a Prime Minister of what: a Labour party government, coalition government or Conservative government.
Q5) Who was Minister of Defense in that government?
A5) Him again: Sir Winston Churchill.
Q6) This speech was the third in a series of three such speeches.   The first, on 13th May, saw the PM offer “Blood, toil, tears and …” what?
A6) Sweat.
Q7) The second, on 4th June, saw the PM claim that “We shall fight them on” … what: the stairs, beaches or lawn?
A7) Beaches.
Q8) All three speeches took place during the Battle of where: Britain, France or El Alamein?
A8) France.
Q9) The speech claimed what was about to begin: the Battle of Britain, the Battle of France or the Battle of El Alamein?
A9) The Battle of Britain.   (Although, strictly, that was about a month or so later.)
Q10) Finally … According to the speech, people would consider the period whose finest hour: the British Empire and its Commonwealth, the USA’s or the USSR’s?
A10) The British Empire, and the Commonwealth.

I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I could not be the clever one in the family, so I decided to be the funny one.”
Barry Took, 19 June 1928 – 31 March 2002.
And this tune from Nick Drake …


Have a good day …










*        That’s though, Olga, how is your mother settling in at home?

†        Yeah, but hang on, Debbi, it’s not necessarily an obsession, is it?   It’s a constitutional right!  Personally?   I think the idea of a written constitution’s a good one: the UK, famously, has an ‘unwritten constitution’, which mess you can’t pin a government down on things.   The US constitution?   Gives us all a good example on how to write one.   Unfortunately, that Second Amendment?   Seems to have caused a LOT of problems … !

1 comment:

Debbi said...

The thing that gets me is that even with the 2nd Amendment, we should be able to regulate guns. We have a 1st Amendment, too, but that doesn't mean we can't have libel laws. Or regulate advertising. Etc. :)

1. Uhura
2. John Bingham
3. a cat
4. radio
5. the moon