Saturday 25 June 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25-6-2016

You know, I don’t think I’ve seen a day like it.

You’ll know I live in the UK: and that my country has voted to leave the UK.

The reaction to, that I’ve seen?

Is … 

Deeply angry … 

Understandably.

I’ve had half an eye on social media.   There’s some angry mutterings on Twitter: but I must say, I’ve only following so many people in the UK,

Facebook, on the other hand?

Facebook, where I’m following or friends with more of my fellow Brits, I’m seeing a lot of anger.

A lot of anger.

I don’t think Brentwood, England and the UK, is having a civil war.   Wars, as many have point out, usually aren’t civil.

But, after seeing quite a few people openly complaining about those who’ve voted Leave, on the streets of Brentwood?

I’m thinking it’s a close-run thing.

~≈®≈~


But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 25th June, 1903, saw the birth of writer, George Orwell.   Which of his novels is about a man called Gordon Comstock?
Q2) 25th June, 1950 saw the UN condemn the actions of North Korea: when it invaded where?
Q3) Prince’s most successful LP was released on 25th June, 1984.   What was that album’s name?
Q4) 25th June, 1999, saw the UN security adopt Resolution 1249.   The Resolution recommend which country be allowed to join the UN: Nauru or Kiribati?
Q5) Finally … Which gay rights symbol was flown for the first time: on 25th June, 1978.
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 24th June, 1571, saw the formal founding of Manila.   Manila is the capital city of where?
A1) The Philippines.
Q2) The first woman to sign a million dollar movie contract, did so on 24th June, 1916.   Who was she: Theda Bara, Mary Pickford or Angeline Jolie?
Q3) 24th June, 2010, saw the end of the longest tennis match in the game’s professional history: between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut.   It took place at which tennis club?
A3) Wimbledon.
Q4) The USA’s first woman in space returned home: on 24th June, 1986.   What was her name?
Q5) Finally … 24th June, 1974, saw the British government admit it had tested what: computers, nuclear bombs or long-distance phone lines?
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I am convinced, the way one plays chess always reflects the player’s personality. If something defines his character, then it will also define his way of playing.”
Vladimir Kramnik, born 25th June, 1975.
And this tune … 


Have a good day … 







*        Olga, I can understand you going, if that’s your decision.   Personally?   I’d be sorry to see you go.   I think Britain needs its European residents: if only to show us it’s full of human beings, rather than faceless figures to demonise!   Elections, polls and ballots.   You have to love them!   At least I know your mother’s health is starting to look good: that’s SOMETHING!   (Oh, elections as Big Brother contest?   Not a bad idea, actually: as I recall, the show usually — bar Thursday’s referendum — gets a bigger turnout!)

†        Oh, did you hear Trump had visited Scotland, Debbi?   Sorting out issues with the golf course he owns.   Apparently, he’s a Brexit fan … 

Say no more …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Keep the Aspidistra Flying
Q2) South Korea
Q3) Purple Rain
Q4) Nauru
Q5) The rainbow flag

Thanks, Paul. I hope things will calm down. There is time, although at the moment there seems to be plenty of uncertainty. I wouldn't anger the Scots if I were Donald Trump. Now we only need him to win the US elections and perhaps I'll check if they need anybody in the Mars expedition. Or I'll move to a Buddhist convent somewhere.

Debbi said...

Say no more, indeed! :)

1. Keep the Aspidistra Flying
2. South Korea
3. Purple Rain
4. Nauru
5. the Rainbow Flag