Tuesday 28 June 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 28-6-2016: Saxophony


Drat … ! I didn’t get to see Event Horizon, last night.

As the blu-ray I’d bought hadn’t finished, by the time I’d got around to wanting to watch something.

Still, it’s ready to go, as and when I get another chance.

Which might be, tonight, I don’t know as yet.
At ANY rate … ?   Last night saw me watching 13Hrs, instead.

Nice film, that.   Especially when you consider it’s only 99p to rent the thing on iTunes.

Not bad for 99p … 

~≈¥≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.
Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 28th June, 1846, saw the saxophone patented.   By Adolphe whom?

Q2) Adolphe was from what’s now which European country?

Q3) The Sax, itself, is what kind of instrument: brass, woodwind or stringed?

Q4) The Saxophone’s mouthpiece is what determines whether it’s brass, woodwind or stringed.   What’s that made from?

Q5) The Sax usually comes in two keys: name one of them.

Q6) Most of the larger saxophones have a u-bend: around the third hole.   Name either of the models that usually don’t.

Q7) A traditional Saxophone quartet has four instruments.   Name any one of the four.

Q8) Which Hazel O’Connor song in Breaking Glass, featured a sax solo by Wesley McGoogan?

Q9) Charlie Parker, Lester Young and John Coltrane all played versions of the saxophone.   What genre of music did they play?

Q10) Finally … Adolphe never built the lowest pitched sax that he designed designed.   What was that instrument called?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 27th June, 1985, saw what route removed from the US highway system?
A1) Route 66.

Q2) The Route opened in which year: 1925, 1926 or 1927?
A2) 1926.

Q3) The Route started in which Illinois city?
A3) Chicago.

Q4) The Route ended in California.   Where in California: Santa Ana, Santa Cruz or Santa Monica?

Q5) Finally … which band advised us to get our kicks on the route?
A5) The Rolling Stones.

I’ll leave you this thought …
“I started realizing that music is the one area where I’ve always let go. When that saxophone goes into my mouth, I get into a space where I never think about the notes I’ve already played or anticipate the notes ahead.”
Kenny G.
And these tunes …



Have a good day …






*        Actually, Olga‡, I think the relevant US highway body has: the Route’s so well known, it’s a Historical Monument!   At ANY rate, I’ve STILL got Event Horizon pencilled in: it’s sort of a haunted spaceship story.   (With extra gore, I should add!)

†        They’re all over the place, Debbi‡.   It gets worse.   There’s a ton of Greek mononymic philosophers: Plato, Aristocrates, Orincrates … !

‡        I have to admit, I had the Rolling Stones version in mind.   That will teach me to check these things!

2 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Right, sorry about the formatting, today, folks! I think a mix of an older browser, and whatever Google’s doing at their end means … 

Well …

My default formatting’s gone for a Burton … 

Debbi said...

No prob here, Paul! :)

1. Sax
2. Belgium
3. woodwind
4. cane (reeds are made of cane)
5. alto
6. soprano
7. baritone, tenor, alto & soprano
8. Will You?
9. jazz
10. subcontrabass