Thursday 11 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11th June, 2020

11th June, 2020.


Right … 

Just in case anyone else notice I called yesterday, Tuesday?

It’s now officially Thursday!

Ahem!

He says … 

~≈◊≈~

Moving rapidly on … ?

I now have a copy of the New Hart’s Rules for writers.


It’s a relatively hefty guide to the mechanics of writing: lay-out, spring, punctuation.

How much use I’ll make of it, or English Grammar for Dummies, I don’t know.

But at least I have copies I can refer to.

~≈◊≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 11th June, 1938, saw the start of the Battle of where: Wuhai, Wuhan or Wuhu?

Q2) Paul Boatang, Diane Abbott and Bernie Grant were elected to Parliament: as the UK’s first Black MPs.   On 11th June of which year?

Q3) 11th June, 2004, saw the Cassini-Huygens probe make a close fly-by of Phoebe.   Phoebe is a moon of where?

Q4) 11th June, 1572, saw the birth of playwright, Ben Jonson.   His A Tale of a Tub was a what: a comedy or tragedy?

Q5) Finally … ?   11th June, 1959, saw the birth of actor and comedian, Hugh Laurie.   What was the name of the drama society he was president of, whilst at Cambridge University?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 10th June, 1886, saw the eruption of Mount Tarawera.   The volcano is in which country?
A1) New Zealand.

Q2) Jaycee Lee Dugard was kidnapped on 10th June, 1991.   She was eventually freed in which year?
A2) 2009.

Q3) 10th June is the feast day of Saint John of Tobolsk.  Tobolsk is in which country?
A3) Russia.

Q4) 10th June is World Art what Day?
A4) World Art Nouveau Day.

Q5) Finally … ?   10th June, 1961, saw the birth of singer, Max Alfred Elliot: better known how?
Here’s a thought …
“Art hath an enemy call’d ignorance.”
Every Man out of His Humour (1598), Act I, scene 1, by Ben Jonson.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Reality and imagination, Olga?   What can I say?   Apart from giving you my apologies for taking a while, this morning, Blogger’s playing silly buggers, if you’ll excuse the language!   As I’ve said to Debbi, I’ve had to revert to the legacy version: as the new one’s got me seriously swearing.
I don’t know that the walls are THAT thick, to be honest.   My phone can pick up my router, quite clearly, from the front door of the building: that’s about the same distance away as the boiler is from the thermostat.   Mind you, routers have a far more powerful signal.

†        At least I’ve managed to get the correct day, today, Trevor … !   (Can you get sarcastic at Larry Page and Sergei Brin for me, please?   Google owned Blogger is playing silly buggers!)

‡        You’re on Blogger for some of you blogs, aren’t you, Debbi?   Are you getting issues with the new layout?   It’s a git!   I’ve had to revert to the legacy version, as the new layout is utter sh*te!   Pardon my French!   But I’ve spent a lot of time faffing about, this morning!
At ANY rate … ?   Yes: GIMP’s got a mildly steep learning curve.   But the ‘Select’ options are good, as are the filters.
As for One Hour Photo … ?   Wow!

3 comments:

trev-v said...

Would not have known what day it is without the help of your Intro.

A1 Wuhan

A2 1987

A3 Saturn

A4 comedy

A5 Footlights

Olga said...

Q1) Wuhan

Q2) 1987

Q3) Saturn

Q4) comedy

Q5) The Footlights
You're right about the rooters. I did try GIMP but couldn't get the hang of it. I mentioned my issues with the recent changes to Wordpress, although I've ignored it and carried on with the classic editor. They said they would remove it (although later in Wordpress.org than .com) but now they've decided to keep it. I guess enough people have complained about it. They should apply the 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' but, no. I feel your pain.

Debbi said...

Actually, I'm pretty much on Wordpress, at this point. I was posting videos on Blogger, but I eventually stopped doing that. :) I embed my YouTube videos on whatever blog seems to suit them.

1. Wuhan
2. 1987
3. Saturn
4. a comedy
5. Footlights