Friday 19 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19th June, 2020

19th June, 2020.


Yep: it’s official … I’m getting my boiler’s thermostat replaced, today.

At some point between eight and one.

OK … that means I’m going to be stuck in doors, at a time I’d prefer to be out and about.

Still …

At least I can ask him if moving the thing’s possible.

Given the bad signal, that would be handy.


~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) The Nicene Creed was defined at the First Council of Nicaea: on 19th June, 325AD.   It’s the basic statement of belief, in which religion: Christianity, Judaism or Islam?
Q2) In leap years, 19th June is the 171st day of the year.   Is 171 a multiple of 9?
Q3) 19th June, 1861, saw the birth of Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Haig.   At the time of his death, he held the highest rank in the British Army.   What is that rank?
Q4) 19th June, 1987, saw a car bombing at a Hipercor shopping centre in Barcelona.   By which terrorist group?
Q5) Finally … ?   Moe Howard was born on 19th June, 1897.   Which comedy trio was he part of?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) The first American woman in space launch on a space shuttle: on 18th June, 1983.   Who was she?
A1) Sally Ride.   (Should I avoid playing this?)
Q2) Egypt declared itself a republic: on 18th June, 1953.   What’s Egypt’s capital city?
A2) Cairo.
Q3) 18th June, 1942, saw the birth of Beatle, Paul McCartney.   What was the name of the band he joined in 1957?
A3) The Quarrymen.
Q4) 18th June, 1987, saw the birth of cricketer, Moeen Ali: also known as the Beard that’s … what?
A4) The Beard that’s Feared.
Q5) Finally … ?   18th June, 1960, saw the birth of Barbara Broccoli.   Eon Productions, the film company she’s a head of, is best known for producing which film franchise?
A5) The James Bond films.
Here’s a thought …
“We’re not nearly as violent as the Westerns.”
Moe Howard, June 19, 1897 – May 4, 1975.
And a song …

  

You really couldn’t get away with that opening line, nowadays.

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I think the cheap Chinese ones can be more of a problem, Olga: especially if they’re an unknown brand.   Saying that?   The repair shops I’ve been to tend not have an issue with Huawei phones.   Mind you, Huawei’s everywhere!   But I’m the same with mobiles, to an extent: it’s not that often I can afford to buy a new one, so I tend to make them last!
You know, I think I might know that reseller: vaguely, anyway.   Was it TekServe?   They were quite well known!   It must be, actually: TekServe’s Wikipedia entry mentions American Pickers.   I’m impressed: the magazine article it links to mentions the auction they held.   One of the lots was an old timex Sinclair: the US ZX Spectrum.   Now THAT takes me back: I’ll have to keep an eye open!
As for George Floyd … ?   Well … Unconscious bias is a bad thing … how we deal with it, I don’t know, but it’s there, and it’s an issue … !
Oh, about the Example post?   The one you’ve commented on?   I’ve used that as the basis of some feedback … !   The new blogger interface is annoying, you can’t use HTML tags with it!
Oh, JUST as a thought … ?   I’ve a friend called David, over in Hamburg: he’s just applied for a job teaching English as a second language.   I’ve given you a mention … !


†        I think we’re right Trevor: it’s a legal no-no.   I seem to recall reading there’s a bit of 18th century legislation that restricted distilling to what’s now the Scottish whisky industry.   Although, granted, it’s now expanded.   (The Excise is now part of HMRC, by the way!)

‡         I’m betting it’s strange, Debbi!   I think I’d be just as unnerved … !   And I have to admit, I’ve got a bathmat, myself: lord, I’m careful!   Oh, did I mention I get ScreenRant notifications to my phone?   I caught this one, yesterday.   Apparently, they’ve only just worked out Mister Saxon is an anagram of Master No. Six.   What they’ll make of toclafane, I don’t know!   (Someone I knew was convinced it was a reference to the Sontarans.   I knew very well it was an obscure bit of gay slang … )


3 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Christianity

A2 Yes (9 times 19)

A3 Field Marshal

A4 Euskadi Ta Askatasuna commonly called ETA

A5 The Three Stooges


Before 1963 it was against the law to make beer or wines at home. This did not stop people like my maternal grandmother making "country wines". I remember back in about 1959/60 she gave a bottle of her Rhubarb wine to a couple of workmen who were building an amenity block on to the back of her house. They drank it out of their tin mugs and became to "exhausted" to continue working that day. As kids we were given small tots of her wines to help us ward off certain illnesses.

Olga said...

Q1) Christianity
Q2) Yes
Q3) Field Marshal
Q4) ETA
Q5) The Three Stooges
Thank you and good luck to David! And yes, you're right about the store. It's the same one in the video.

Debbi said...

Well, all I can say is thanks for the 5-question set!

Gives the old hand a break. But odd to do and listen to Louis Jourdan simultaneously. :)

1. Christianity
2. yes
3. Field marshal
4. ETA
5. The Three Stooges

Ever see the Stooges? They're funny, in a highly slapstick way. :)