Tuesday 9 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9-6-2020: La Rioja

9th June, 2020.


It’s officially the case: it’s Tuesday.

And, contrary to the Rolling Stones song … ?

It’s not ruby!


That’s possibly a bonus … !

~≈Î≈~

In other news … ?

I had my boiler looked at, on Sunday: on an emergency basis.

I managed to chase up the permanent repair.

Apparently?   They’re waiting for a part to turn up: on Thursday or Friday.

Once that’s arrived?   They’ll be calling me to arrange a date.

My only concern, there?

Is whether the engineer would be able to move the thermostat from it’s place in the hallway, to somewhere nearer the boiler: according to the engineer who visited, on Sunday, the signal couldn’t reach.

We’ll have to see … 

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 9th June is La Rioja Day.   La Rioja is in which European country?
Q2) What’s La Rioja’s capital?
Q3) Rioja Alta, Rioja Oriental and Rioja Alavesa grow grapes.   Grapes used to make what?
Q4) Gonzalo de Berceo was a famous Riojan what: actor, poet or sculptor?
Q5) Finally … ?   La Rioja was part of the Muslim domains in Spain: called Al … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Today is the 8th.   8 is an even number.   Is it a prime number?
A1) No.
Q2) What is the cube root of eight?   (∛8)
A2) Two.
Q3) In computing, 8 bits is a what?
A3) Byte.
Q4) 8 is a Fibonacci number: and the sum of the two preceding Fibonacci numbers.   In other words, it’s 3 plus … what?
A4) Five.   (5.)
Q5) 8 is the atomic number of which gas: Nitrogen, Oxygen or Fluorine?
A5) Oxygen.
Q6) Spiders have eight legs.   Are they arachnids, insects or diplopoda?
A6) Arachnids.
Q7) In Rugby league, the Number 8 player is a what: hooker, lock or prop?
A7) Prop.   (If I’ve understood it correctly, they’re usually the biggest players on the field.)
Q8) In music, a group of notes going from one note to one, eight notes above it, is called a what?
A8) An octave.
Q9) A horizontal figure of 8 — ∞ — is used to represent what: infinity, eternity or absolute zero?
A9) Infinity.
Q10) Finally … ?   A V8 engine has eight what: cylinders, crankshafts or valves?
A10) Cylinders.
Here’s a thought …
“In medieval times La Rioja was often a disputed territory.”
From The Wikipedia entry on La Rioja.
And some dancing^ …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Cheers, Olga, you’re a star!   (I have to say, Re-Read sounds like a literary version of CeX, the technology shop where I used to work: they’re handy places, aren’t they?   I wish we had somewhere like that, around here!)
You know, my grandmother had Reynauds: it got really nasty, at the end, I know that.   And a friend has white finger, from operating bits of industrial kit‡.   As it’s in the family, I have to wonder if I’ve picked it up it up, myself: my fingers and toes tend to get pale, sometimes: from the little I’ve read, that can be a symptom.   Gloves and heating, it is!
Oh, and Debbi’s a tough one!
Ummm … about those dancers …

†        Debbi, we’ve been bigging you up!   Well done for yesterday!
Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is really worth the effort!   Nathan Laneª’s astounding, and Natalie Dormer’s putting in some work, and the rest of the cast … ?   Really are something else!   The soundtrack’s great, too: grimly gruesome when it needs to be, and suitably noir when that’s what’s needed!   (The original Penny Dreadful’s rather good, too: but it’s a different genre.)


‡        As I recall, Spud had done some building work: and is a qualified chef.   Some kitchen meat sliders and food processors can vibrate as rapidly as pneumatic drills … hence the white finger.

^        Oh, my lord, that’s Morris dancing!

ª        From what I know, Nathan Lane’s got a very good rep as a comic actor: he voiced Timon in The Lion King, after all.   But, much like Jon Pertwee and Robin Williams?   He can play straight roles, extremely well.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Spain
Q2) Logroño
Q3) Wine (vino)
Q4) Poet
Q5) Andalus
Yes, the dance made me think of Morris Dancing as well. It's quite good exercise, but I don't think it will become as popular as Zumba any time soon.
Let's hope the heating gets sorted soon. I didn't have a thermostat at home and didn't have any problems, I imagine because I lived alone and I spent a lot of time out of the house, so I set it up as it suited me. At one of my friend's houses they had installed the thermostat in the kitchen, and because they loved to cook and spent a lot of time in the kitchen, that meant that the kitchen was always warm and the thermostat would switch the heating off in the rest of the house. It was always freezing cold there. Not the best place to put the thermostat, at least if you like to cook.
Yes, I think Raynaud's runs in families. My mother doesn't suffer from it, but my father did, and I remember he never managed to get his hands and feet warm when he went cycling in the winter, and that's considering the weather is not that bad here. I had a hard time in winter in the UK, and I took to wearing gloves for skiing, but even those didn't always help (and it was impossible to do anything with them on). I've had my fingers turn purple at times, and trying to open the door with completely unfeeling hands is not easy.
Thanks for sharing the video. Here are the links to my blog posts. One never knows but everything helps:
http://www.authortranslatorolga.com/2020/06/09/aprende-ingles-con-olga-idiomas-aprenderingles/
http://www.authortranslatorolga.com/2020/06/09/learn-spanish-with-olga-my-new-page-spanish-languages/

Debbi said...

Nathan Lane is excellent. Was fantastic in The Birdcage! :)

1. Spain
2. Logroño
3. wine
4. poet
5. Al-Andalus