Tuesday 2 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2nd June, 2020.

2nd June, 2020.


Right … 

It’s officially Tuesday … and stuff’s happening … 

At least it will be … once I get dressed.

Job hunting, included … 

And possibly?   A piece on digital poverty.

I’ve had word from EE, telling me what they’re doing on that front: so I’ll have to see what I can do, there.

I do know they’ve told me about an organisation giving away tablets with pre-pay sims.

You have to go online to get them.

How do you go online to get a tablet to get online … if you’re not online …?   And can’t get online because of lockdown … ?

Oy veh … !

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 2nd June is the feast day of Saint Felix of Nicosia.   Nicosia, where: Sicily, Cyprus or Lesbos?
Q2) 2nd June is Festa della Repubblica, or Republic Day.   In which Italian speaking nation: Italy, San Marino or Switzerland?
Q3) 2nd June is the feast day of Saint Pothinus.   He’s generally considered to be the first Roman Catholic bishop of where: Marseille, Lyon or Toulouse?
Q4) 2nd June, 1976, saw jockey, Lester Piggott win his 7th victory: at which race?
Q5) Finally … ?   2nd June, 1920, saw the birth of writer, Johnny Speight.   He created which Warren Mitchell character in ’Til Death Do Us Part?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Tennessee was admitted to the Union: on 1st June of which year: 1796, 1798 or 1800?
A1) 1796.
Q2) It was which state to do so: the 15th, 16th or 17th?
A2) The 16th.
Q3) What’s the state’s capital?
A3) Nashville.
Q4) The capital is Tennessee’s second largest city: by population.   What’s the largest: again, by population?
A4) Memphis.   (The 17th largest is Brentwood.)
Q5) Oak Ridge, Tennessee, was one of the sites of the Manhattan Project: the USA project that built the first what: digital computers, atomic bombs or cars?
Q6) Tennessee known as the what state: Vigilant, Volunteer or Vertiginous?
A6) Volunteer.
Q7) Was Tennessee a Confederate or Union state?
Q8) Beale Street, in Memphis, Tennessee, is considered to be the home of the what: Jazz, the Blues or western swing?
A8) The blues.
Q9) Which of Tennessee’s city’s is the of country music?
A9) Nashville.
Q10) Finally … ?   What’s Tennessee’s state bird: the Blue Jay, the Black bird or mockingbird?
A10) The Mockingbird.
Here’s a thought …
“My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us, the world is full of it and you simply take as much as you require.”
Edward Elgar, 2 June 1857 – 23 February 1934.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, don’t get me started on ‘p’, ‘b’, ‘q’, ‘d’ and the font dependent ‘g’, Olga‡!   Those are the ones that are the easiest for left-handers to mess up!   Oh, and ‘j’ can be a headache!   Then there’s ‘z’ and ‘s’!   ‘X,’ and ‘w,’are nice, though.   You know, learning Arabic could be an idea …
F-wise, though?   I think the way Pugin tinkered with font on the clock face, they look vaguely like x’s … until you have a closer look.   What can I tell you?
I’ve still not seen Halt and Catch Fire: but, from the little I know, the technical advisers were some serious heavy-weights!   I’m also wondering if the show’s creators saw Pirates of Silicon Valley: it sounds like it must have been influential.   Either way, the thing that still tickles me?   Is the video of Bill Gates advertising the Mac … 



†        Mildly amazing, yeah!   At any rate, Debbi‡, I’ve got a few five question sets coming up.   Well … the ones about numbers are ten question sets, but I’ve tried to make sure there’s as many five question ones as posible!   Oh, there’s a slightly Spanish one on the 9th, and and a slightly legal one on the 13th … 

‡        Oh, just so you both know — along side Trevor — yes: I could well have phrased yesterday’s Q4 better: the largest city one.   But, in my defence?   I based the question on this Wikipedia entry: which based its figures on the results of the 2010 US Census
.   (I was also asking about population, rather than area.)

4 comments:

trev-v said...

On the Tennessee page of Wikipedia it has the following


Nashville population 667,560

Memphis population 652,236


This makes your answer to Q4 yesterday wrong.

This is why I do not take part in your quiz often.

Olga said...

Q1) Sicily
Q2) Italy
Q3) Lyon
Q4) The Epsom Derby
Q5) Alf Garnett
Yes, I haven't finished watching Halt and Catch Fire, but if I remember correctly I watched three series and a bit of the fourth, so not bad going for me (as you know I'm not good with series), and I had to abandon because I was trying to organise my move. But I think you'd enjoy it, for sure. I love Gates's videos. I don't know what happened with Apple and why it became more and more expensive, if at the time it seemed to be an affordable option. I think I must have told you that I remember doing a course that was called Ofimática here (something like IT for working in an office) and it was in 1989, so it was all about learning combinations of keys and all that (and a bit of accountancy but I've forgotten all about it), and remember that one of the tutors was very excited about this thing called Windows that was coming up and would change everything. Boy, was he right!
Good luck with your article. I'm not sure who thinks up these schemes. Here, also, there is help around, but people need to know a fair bit to access it, and of course, those who are more in need, are unlikely to have access to the means. Needing assistance to seek assistance is a Catch 22 situation.

Nik Nak said...

OK, Cheers, Trevor.

BUT … ?

Did the Talk pages, or References section, include a link to where they’d got those figures?

Debbi said...

Thank you for the heads up on the number sets. I'm hanging in there, as you can see! :)

1. Cyprus
2. Italy
3. Lyon
4. the Epsom Derby
5. Alf Garnett

I take it Alf was the character who morphed over here into Archie Bunker. :)