Friday 26 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26th June, 2020.

26th June, 2020.


It’s got to be said, when I woke up, this morning … ?

It was raining.

Nice, cool, chilled, rain: that made the air a lot more bearable than it’s been for the past couple of days.

Guess what … ?

As I write … it’s stopped … !

That’s a mixed set of blessings.

It’ll be dry when I go out … 

But, lord, we need that rain … !

~≈Ç≈~

Oh, just as a quick thought … ?

I thoroughly enjoyed the recent. movie version of Wonder Woman, a couple of years ago.

The sequel, Wonder Woman 1984, has been held up by Lockdown … but certainly looks equally watchable.

I do know more publicity shots have been released.

It has to be said: Gal Gadot’s going to get some odd fan-mail!


~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 26th June is the UN sponsored International Day in Support of Victims of Torture.   It was first observed in which year of the 1990s?
Q2) 26th June is the UN sponsored International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicitwhat?
Q3) 26th June is World what Day?
Q4) 26th June is also Ratcatcher’s Day.   Where: Hamburg, Hamelin or Höhenmolsen?
Q5) Finally?   26th June is the Feast day of Jeremiah.   He’s seen as the writer of the  Old Testament Book of Lamentations, the Book of Kings and the Book of Book of what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 25th June saw the birth of Antoni Gaudí: in which year?
A1) 1852.
Q2) Gaudí was from which Spanish region?
A2) Catalonia: or Catalunya.
Q3) Gaudí designed the Casa Botines: now used by the Caja España bank.   The Casa Botines is in which Spanish city?
A3) León.
Q4) El Drac is a statue: in the Gaudí designed Park Güell.   The Park is which Spanish city?
A4) Barcelona.
Q5) Finally … ?   Gaudí is buried in one of his own buildings.   Which building?
A5) The Basílica de la Sagrada Família: usually known as the Sagrada Família.   (“For the first time since I had been in Barcelona I went to have a look at the cathedral – a modern cathedral, and one of the most hideous buildings in the world.”   George Orwell, also born on the 25th June.)
Here’s a thought …
“One of my brightest audiences, incidentally, were the prisoners in a Philadelphia gaol — brighter than my students at university.”
Colin Wilson, 26 June 1931 – 5 December 2013.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Yeah, I know, Olga: the Sagrada’s taken a while, hasn’t it … ?   According to the Wikipedia entry, it was only a quarter of the way done, by the time Gaudí died!   And, apparently, building the Railway caused … um … discussion!   Is that a good way of putting it … ?   Either way?   Your younger self had a point: I think we’re going to see the Apocalypse, first^!
Can I make a confession?   I’ve never actually seen Park Güell: although I’d love to.   I first heard about it, though, in a William Gibson novel: the villain of the piece meets his staff in a virtual reconstruction of the place.
Cheers for the comments, by the way!   I’ve got started on the next set of emails: the phone companies, first, then the Department for Education, and the local radio station.   I might just have time to get in tough with one of the local papers … 
I see what you mean about the chimneys: sort of a mix of Darth Vader … and Games Workshop’s Space Marines!


†        You know, Trevor, I remember that branch of C&A: the building was quite prominent!   I’m blowed if I can find a picture of it, though … (Much like the smell from the brewery, it’s long gone …)

‡        Oh, I know, Debbi, I know!   Cheers for the comment, but the way: I’ve left replies for you and Olga, both.   And you’re right, there are places that sell recycled tech, in town.   Ironically, I worked for one, the Brentwood branch of CeX.   It’s pricy, though … but can do some good, if you have the cash … !   (From the little I’ve seen … ?   Ebay’s cheaper: but less accessible, under the circumstances.)


^        Apparently?   They’ve replaced some of the stone carvers with a milling machine.   The accuracy and speed will increase, although, sadly, that’ll mean jobs going!

4 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Oh, as a thought for Debbi and Olga?

I’ve got Foundation and The Shadow of The Wind on order.

It’ll be a while before I start them: I’m still on The Wind’s Twelve Quarters and the Compass Rose … 

Olga said...

Q1) 1998
Q2) Trafficking
Q3) Refrigeration Day
Q4) Hamelin (it had to be!)
Q5) Jeremiah (that one not very original, really).
I recommend you have a look at Parc Güell when you can. Although it never became what it was intended to be, it is a great space, and Gaudi's studio is fascinating to visit.
At la Pedrera, you get to visit an apartment building as it would have been at the time, including the furniture, doors, etc (Gaudí also designed wonderful furniture, gates, doors), but more than that, visiting the roof and the terrace above is wonderful. You get to see the chimneys up close and personal, and the views are fabulous (and you can also see the Sagrada Familia from there). There are offices an art gallery and other things in the building, but it is worth a visit.
https://www.minniemuse.com/articles/musings/gaudi-furniture
Some of it is absolutely bonkers, but when you see them live, you want to touch them and try them. They are beautifully made, like stuff from the arts & crafts movement.
You're right about the train and the Sagrada Familia. People worried it might bring the whole thing down, and I must add that my mother's flat is very nearby the railway line (now covered, or I should say, encased, but not when I was young. It was like having your own full-size train set going by the window). The railway company paid for extra thick windows (triple glazed) for the building when they started building the high-speed line. One of my cousins worked on it for two or three years and it is useful, but not without controversy. The problem (or the beauty, depending on how you look at it) of a city like Barcelona, that's been going for quite a long time, is that wherever you dig or you try to build something, you're bound to disturb something else, and they are forever having to stop digs because they find Roman or Medieval or later remains of buildings and things...

trev-v said...

A1 1998

A2 Trafficking

A3 Refrigeration Day

A4 Hamelin

A5 Jeremiah not sure what a book of book of what means. But this is a book attributed to him)


Yes I still have some shirts with CANDA labels in them. I do not wear formal shirts much these day.

I have just about every one of Isaac Asimov's books. He eventually managed to link most of his books together. This means that the Foundation Trilogy is a lot more than 3 books.

Debbi said...

You're a powerhouse of a reader, Paul! That's excellent! :) And not so shabby as a writer, when you want to make a point!

1. 1998
2. Trafficking
3. Refrigeration
4. Hamelin
5. Baruch

I have a couple of original short films coming up on the Film Lover channel or whatever I called the thing! :) I can't believe I'm doing half the things I'm doing.