Thursday 18 June 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th June, 2020.

18th June, 2020.


Yes: it’s raining.

Which is possibly the last thing on your mind.

Frankly, though … ?

That means I’ve got some nice cool air coming through the window.

Given last month was fairly warm … ?

That makes for a nice change … 

~≈†≈~

One thing I’ve seen doing the rounds?

Is the view that we’re making a martyr of George Floyd: because he’s a convicted criminal, after being gaoled for robbery in 2007, and released in 2011.

I’ve just been sent a message to that effect.

I think that’s deeply offensive to George Floyd’s memory.

It’s saying people convicted of a crime, are incapable of redemption or reform.

It’s saying people convicted of a crime, are incapable of going straight, and living good lives, from then on.

It’s saying people convicted of a crime, deserve to die at the hands of police.

The other point?   He was arrested for passing what the cashier where he was shopping, thought was a bad $20 bill.

That cashier is complicit in George Floyd’s death.

They could — as I, over a long cash handling career was taught to do — have checked it, then said “I’m sorry, this is a bad note, I can’t accept it.   Have you got an alternative way of paying, please?”

A man died … potentially because of racism on the part of the police officer … and possibly because of that cashier’s incompetence.

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Trevor scoring five out of five, and Debbi on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The first American woman in space launch on a space shuttle: on 18th June, 1983.   Who was she?
Q2) Egypt declared itself a republic: on 18th June, 1953.   What’s Egypt’s capital city?
Q3) 18th June, 1942, saw the birth of Beatle, Paul McCartney.   What was the name of the band he joined in 1956?
Q4) 18th June, 1987, saw the birth of cricketer, Moeen Ali: also known as the Beard that’s … what?
Q5) Finally … ?   18th June, 1960, saw the birth of Barbara Broccoli.   Eon Productions, the film company she’s a head of, is best known for producing which film franchise?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Mumtaz Mahal died in childbirth: on 17th June, 1631.   What’s the name of the mausoleum her widower, Shah Jahan 1st, built as a result?
A1) The Taj Mahal.
Q2) 17th June, 2017, saw the start of wildfires in which European country?
A2) Portugal.
Q3) 17th June, 1462, saw Vlad 3rd attempt to assassinate Mehmed 2nd.   Vlad is also known as Vlad … the whom?
A3) Vlad the Impaler.   (He’s also known as Vlad Dracula.)
Q4) 17th June saw the birth of Dutch artist, M. C. Esher.   In which year?
A4) 1898.
Q5) Finally … ?    17th June, 1982, saw the death of — apparently corrupt — banker, Roberto Calvi.   He was found hanging under where: London Bridge, Tower Bridge or Blackfriars Bridge?
A5) Blackfriars Bridge.   (As I recall, he was involved with a corrupt masonic lodge called Propaganda Due: who also included Silvio Berlusconi, former Italian PM, as a member.)
Here’s a thought …
“We thought we’d be really big in Liverpool.”
Paul McCartney, born 18th June, 1942.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        What can I tell you, Olga?   Except Trevor’s listed the obvious finings … !   Oh, and I gave up drinking for totally different reasons!   I agree, earbuds can be a pain … but I always found the over the ear ones a bit on the warm side.   I’m just grateful; I don’t generally need them, or a mic: I use the iMac’s onboard one, and turn the volume down … 
The headphone’s got lights!?   Wow!
As for explanations … ?   I’ve a bad habit of doing that, myself!   (Oh, according to a hoary old story?   The chap who invented the microwave oven, discovered microwaves … after leaving a chocolate bar on a radar.   The radar was a fairly cool one, it seems.   He left the bar, walked off, came back a few minutes later … and wondered why the bar melted on a cool bit of machinery … but I digress … )
As for the phone … ?   Hmmm … that sounds like there’s a possibly battery issue.   Is it a model that you can replace the battery on?   That might help.   (I suspect you couldn’t: which is a shame … !)

†        I went to college in Romford, Trevor, back when the brewery was open.   Lord, you could tell when they had a batch on the go: the smell was unmistakeable.   It’s very distinct, isn’t it?
You know … I don’t think you could do home brewing the same way, these days: homes aren’t designed the same way.
As a final thought … ?   Is it me, or is home distilling still not legal … ?

‡        I hope so, Debbi!   The place would collapse without you!   Either way … ?   Enjoy the time off!   Don’t slip over in the shower!!!!!!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Sally Kristen Ride
Q2) Cairo
Q3) The Quarrymen (? Wikipedia says 1957 rather than 56, and so does the Encyclopaedia Britannica)
Q4) “feared”
Q5) James Bond
I managed to survive the whole course, even teaching online, using the computer microphone and sound, but everywhere recommended getting one if you were thinking of teaching online, and because I live with my mother, it's a good way to ensure no other sounds come through.
You're probably right about the battery and I'm sure it would be possible to get it changed, as it is a cheap Chinese thing (I even managed to change an i-phone battery once, although the problem with the phone wasn't the battery, but it was worth a try), but so far, no repeat of the problem. It's a rubbish phone so at some point I'll have to change it anyway. I'm not fond of mobiles, never have been, so I keep them going for as long as I can. I'll see if I find any bargains in the near future.
Oh, after talking about microphones yesterday, I was watching (or rather, it was playing) a programme called American Pickers (you might have watched it. These two American guys go around buying old stuff, of all kinds, although they love mechanical things, signs, bikes, cars...) and they went to New York City (they usually hunt in the countryside or small towns where people have big barns or garages full of old stuff) to meet a couple who were closing their shop. The man explained that he had bought one of the first Macs that came into the market, and he and a partner were always repairing them for their friends, and they ended up setting up a shop and his shop was the first official Apple Dealership in New York City. They had some great things, and because his wife had worked at a radio station, they had started collecting related materials as well, including some wonderful classic microphones. I was checking, but although I could find quite a few of their videos on YouTube, I wasn't able to find that particular one. It's probably quite old, as here they are forever running old episodes from different series. It's from the History Channel and the programme is still going.
I agree with you on George Floyd. I read an article talking about the people who call the police, and how many also seem to make certain assumptions and be more likely to call them if they see people of certain groups of the population involved (or even not involved, just passing by). Some people don't seem to ever be granted the benefit of the doubt.
Oh, this is my review of the book I was reading I had mentioned, now that we talk about this.
http://www.authortranslatorolga.com/2020/06/16/tuesdaybookblog-humankind-a-hopeful-history-by-rutger-bregman-bloomsburybooks-rutgerbregman-netgalley/

trev-v said...

A1 Sally Kristen Ride

A2 Cairo

A3 The Quarrymen but it was 1957 not 1956 as you put

A4 the beard that's feared

A5 James Bond


Well I am a happy person. My gas engineers arrive at 08.15 and installed new gas pipes and my new boiler and left at 14.30. They did a good job and I now have a modern silent boiler not like my noisy 20+ year old boiler. It will mean lower gas bills. They tidied up and used germ killer tissues on the outer surface of the boiler. A covid-19 requirement i believe .

With reference to your question about home distilling I am sure it is illegal. All distiller have to pay tax on their booze. There are farmers making Vodka from potatoes and they are registered with the excise department and have to pay tax.

Debbi said...

No worries, Paul! I've been extra cautious ever since that little incident. :)

I must admit it feels strange not tweeting with others right now.

I do have my past blog posts on auto-tweet and turning them off is more bother than it's worth. So ... we'll see what happens.

My main concerns are focused attention to work and productivity. Not to mention my mental health/exhaustion level. Oy! :)

1. Sally Ride
2. Cairo
3. The Quarrymen
4. Feared
5. the Bond movies