Saturday 12 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 12th September, 2020.

12th September, 2020.


Right: I’ve finally finished the first season of The Mandalorian: having caught the last episode, last night.


It’s got to be said, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

What’s more?

There’s a potential new villain … 

Does that cutting tool look familiar … ?


Hmmm … 

~≈Ì≈~

I have to admit, I got tinkering, when I was writing the review of that episode.

I’ve been tinkering with the new Blogger interface: and not found it totally to my liking.

There’s no way of embedding YouTube videos into a post: in what’s called Compose mode.


As it turns out … ?

You can insert embed code in what’s called HTML mode.

Which looks like this: 


And is very intimidating, if you’re not used to it.

Last night’s Mandalorian post looks OK, but took a lot of jumping about.

Which means I’m going to take a bit of time, using the new interface for the Teasers.

~≈Ì≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Trevor  scoring five out of five: and Debbi on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The African city of Salisbury was founded: on 12th August, 1890.   What’s it now called?
Q2) More to the point, it’s now the capital of which African nation?
Q3) That country was annexed by the UK: on 12th September, 1923.   What was it then called?
Q4) Which African ruler was deposed: on 12th September, 1974?
Q5) The African and Malagasy Union was formed on 12th September, 1961.   The member nations had what as a common tongue: French, Spanish or English?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 11th September, 2007, saw the death of keyboard player, Joe Zawinul.   Which country was he born in: Austria, Bulgaria or Croatia?
A1) Austria.
Q2) The National September 11 Memorial & Museum opened on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.   In other words, the Museum opened in which year?
A2) 2010.
Q3) 11th September, 9AD, saw the end of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.   It was a major defeat for which empire?
A3) The Roman Empire.   (“Varus, Varus, General Varus: bring me my three Eagles back.”   If I’ve understood it, correctly, the Eagle was a Roman legions equivalent to a regimental standard.)
Q4) 11th September, 1961, saw the birth of actress, Virginia Madsen.   In which film does she play Princess Irulan?
A4) The 1984 version of Dune.   (As far as I can see?   The character hasn’t been revived in the upcoming Denis Villeneuve film.)
Q5) Finally … ?   11th September, 1960, saw the birth of Michael P. Leavitt: former Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard.   He was born in which town in Idaho?
A5) Fruitland, Idaho.   (It’s called Fruitland.   If’s it’s any consolation, there’s a village in Worcestershire called Bell End …)
Here’s a thought …
“The road to the Olympics, leads to no city, no country. It goes far beyond New York or Moscow, ancient Greece or Nazi Germany. The road to the Olympics leads — in the end — to the best within us.”
Jesse Owens, September 12, 1913 – March 31, 1980.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Isn’t it just, Olga?   Where can you go wrong, with a name like Fruitland?   Actually, there was a well known Baseball player called John Boozer: lord knows how many pub quizzes I mentioned him in, but he got at least ONE question!
Oh, I’ve managed to alter the question about Joe Zawinul.
The meeting went well enough: however, my caseworker managed to find two jobs for me … that I’d applied for, the day before.   Wouldn’t you know it?
It’s amazing to think how common that design of house was, isn’t it, Olga?   It’s not quite a townhouse … but even so …

†        I think I’ve managed to get that question corrected, Trevor.   The revisions in the answers, today.
At ANY rate … ?   I hope your’e right about the blurriness!

‡        Cheers, Debbi!   😁   I know what I meant to ask!   How DID that documentary about dystonia go?   The one you were filmed for?   I always meant to ask!   (Don’t watch the Mandalorian video I’ve poster, today: it’s a little bit of a spoiler.)

3 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Harare
A2 Zimbabwe
A3 Southern Rhodesia
A4 Haile Selassie I
A5 French

Olga said...

Q1) Harare
Q2) Zimbabwe
Q3) Rhodesia
Q4) Emperor Haile Selassie
Q5) French
The video looks good. Oh, no surprises about the jobs. I got an e-mail about a possible position doing some translations and localization job, but when I read the feedback it sounds similar to the job I did for the British agency years back, but far worse (it pays less, the process of application requires that you study for about a week, unpaid, of course, and on top of that is demanding at times and at others, there is nothing whatsoever). So, for now, I'll try and see how the teaching goes. (I'm starting on Tuesday. Only a couple of hours a week so far, but well, it's a start. Wish me luck!)

Debbi said...

Actually, I have no idea. I think that was more of a research project than documentary. Maybe. :)

1. Harare
2. Zimbabwe
3. Southern Rhodesia
4. Haile Selassie
5. French