Saturday 26 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26th September, 2020.

26th September, 2020.

It’s official: I had just enough cash, yesterday, to have a haircut.

Something I’m thankful for, I know that.

I was getting … uncomfortable … let’s uptimes it that way.

And I managed to find the one barbers in town that was open, didn’t have a queue … and could do something straight away.

So that’s nice.

View this post on Instagram

Just had the hair done here …

A post shared by Paul Nikolas Nak Downie (@mrcuddy2977) on

~≈∑≈~

If you’re in the UK … ?

You’ll have seen news of the killing of police officer, Sgt. Matiu Ratana, yesterday.

By a drug dealer armed with a gun.

These events are incredibly rare: they last time a police officer was shot was in 2012.

I’ve got one question.

How on Earth did the dealer manage to shoot someone … with his arms handcuffed behind his back … ?

Dear god!

~≈∑≈~

I’m just listening to Radio 4’s Today programme, at the moment.

They’ve just had a fascinating — ish — piece about NASA’s latest fund-raising effort.

NASA’s going to let Estée Lauder shoot ads on the International Space Station.

“That’s one small step for man, one giant lap for blusher!”

As Neil Armstrong didn’t say!

In all honesty, though?

I know science — especially big science like the ISS, or CERN — need funds.

Raising cash through make-up ads?

Seems an odd way of doing it!

~≈∑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser* saw Olga†, Trevor‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 26th September, 1977, saw the opening of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power plant. What’s left of the place is in which country … ?

Q2) Abbey Road, the last album the Beatles recorded, was released on 26th September, 1969. What, in May of 1970, was the name of the last album the band released?

Q3) The USA’s first Presidential debate took place: on 26th September, 1960. Who won that year’s Presidential election?

Q4) 26th September, 1901, saw the birth of actor, George Raft. In which film did he play trucker, Joe Fabrini?

Q5) Finally … ? 26th September, 1888, saw the birth of which poet?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Evita made its stage debut, on 25th September, 1979. Where: the West End, Broadway or Kabukichō?

A1) Broadway. (The Broadway version starred Patti LuPone as Eva Perón.)

Q2) 25th September, 1968, saw the birth of actor, Will Smith. He was one half of a duo on his first five album: along side which DJ?

A2) DJ Jazzy Jeff.

Q3) 25th September, 1984, saw the death of actor, Walter Pidgeon. In which film did he play Professor Edward Morbius?

A3) Forbidden Planet. (Now I look for my review of Forbidden Planet? I see that I watched it on the 25th September, 2009. The 25th anniversary of his death.)

Q4) The Sequoia National Park was founded on 25th September, 1890. What IS a sequoia: a tree, a mountain or a wildcat?

A4) A tree.

Q5) Finally … ? 25th September, 1764, saw the birth of which especially mutinous sailor?

A5) Former Master’s Mate, Fletcher Christian.

Here’s a thought …

“Part of the loot went for gambling, part for horses, and part for women. The rest I spent foolishly.” 

George Raft, September 26, 1901 – November 24, 1980.

And an album: it’s Abbey Road’s birthday …

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Given I should have worded the Evita question better?   I’ve given everyone five out of five.   I should, maybe, have phrased it as ‘ Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Evita made its *American* stage debut, on 25th September, 1979.’   As Olga rightly points out?   There’s problems, there!   You have to love a sticky question!

†        I know, Olga: some of the Starlord reprints go for a fortune!   Prince Valiant should, as well.   I never read it: but, from what I recall, it had a very good reputation.   And something of a legacy.   Remember the Merlin TV series?   A character called Valiant is in episode 2 of the first Series.   I know what you mean about not letting them go, though: I’ve some Leopard from Lime Street reprints that aren’t getting off my shelves!

‡        Yeah: I’ve given everyone five out of five for yesterday’s set, Trevor: that should make up for it.   At any rate: yes, they based Davros very loosely on the Mekon.   I ripped the DVD of Genesis of The Daleks: it’s mentioned on one of the extras.   (I also think I know why they hired 5’11” former model, Karen Gillan.   It’s because the Dalek operator complain about the amount of space they have.   The show immediately produced the taller Daleks … and hired Karen Gillan, so the Daleks still look like they’re threatening.   If that makes sense … ?)

^        Yeah, I remember Debbi!   It hit me, yesterday … just after I hit the Publish button!   Isn’t it always the way?   At any rate, remind me to look it up, again: it’s been years since I’ve read it.   I’m going to have to look up some of the old Judge Dreddº reprints, as well: the series is a UK icon.

ª        Don’t forget, Trevor, 2000AD did an updated version of Dan Dare: their version was the grandson of the original.

º        Everyone makes a big fuss about Marvel and DC: and forgets about 2000AD and its strips!   Dredd, Slaine, Halo Jones, the list goes on …

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Ukraine
Q2) Let It Be
Q3) John F. Kennedy
Q4) They Drive By Night
Q5) T.S. Eliot
I hadn't heard about the shooting. Sad news and it does sound bizarre. The advert thing... Well, yes, I guess the money has to come from somewhere but really...
Good haircut! I'm waiting to hear if I get some more classes (maybe one, maybe three, one of them would be a conversation class online, the other would involve a bit of travelling, but doable. We shall see).

trev-v said...

A1 Ukraine
A2 Let It Be
A3 John Fitzgerald Kennedy,
A4 They Drive by Night
A5 Thomas Stearns Eliot known as T.S. Eliot


It is The Mekon not as you put it Mekong that is a river.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix7/mekonofvenus.htm



Debbi said...

Currently, I'm in the midst of screening potential entries for the Hammett Award, named (of course) for Dashiell Hammett. So, I'm practically buried in books to read now!

1. Ukraine
2. Let It Be
3. John F. Kennedy
4. They Drive by Night
5. T.S. Eliot