Thursday 3 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 3-9-2020: Charlie Sheen

3rd September, 2020


Right … 

That’s that idea put paid too!

If you recall?   I’d been trying to get hold of funding to buy a laptop?   So I could do a European Computer Driving license course?

I got turned down by the Shaw Trust, the people who run the Work and Health Programme I’m on.

They can only buy one if I get a conditional job offer.

So … ?

I did a little research: and found I could possibly get help from what’s called the Flexible Support Fund.

Something that I usually access with help from my Job Centre case worker, and that usually pays for fares to interviews.

So I asked the Job Centre about help.

In theory?

According to them … ?

I could get help in the form of a budget advance.

Which wouldn’t cover the costs … and is something I’d rather save for emergencies.

I could possibly have put in for help from the Flexible Support Fund … 

Except — wouldn’t you know it — for two facts.

One?   It can only really be used if I have a conditional job offer.

And two … ?

I can’t use it … as I’m on the Shaw Trust’s Work and Health Programme, and help like that is supposed to come from them.

Ever get the feeling you’ve been had … ?

~≈fi≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 3rd September saw the birth of actor, Charlie Sheen.   In which year?
Q2) He became the USA’s highest paid actor in 2010: as a result of appearing in which series?
Q3) He was dismissed from that show: after criticising the show’s creator.   In which year?
Q4) He announced he was HIV positive: in which year?
Q5) Finally … ?   He was an extra in 1979’s Apocalypse Now: which starred his father.   Who is Charlie’s father?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 2nd September, 1965, saw the birth of boxer, Lennox Lewis.   He Was A three times champion in which weight class: flyweight, welterweight or heavyweight?
Q2) 2nd September, 1838, .saw the birth of Liliʻuokalani: the last monarch of where?
A2) Hawai’i.
Q3) 2nd September, 1945, saw Japan unconditionally surrender to Allied forces.   This saw the end of which war?
Q4) 2nd September, 1912, saw Arthur Eldred become the USA’s first Eagle Scout.   How many Merit Badges did he have to earn to do so?
A4) Twenty-one.   (21)
Q5) Finally … ?   2nd September, 1901, saw who say “Speak softly, and carry a big stick.”?
Here’s a thought …
“I’m still alive, which is pretty cool.”
Charlie Sheen, in on of his less inflammatory momentsº.
And a song … that has Charlie in the video … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I think I’m going to have to put that course on hold, Olga.   Funding is impossible to come by.   The fact the version of Microsoft Office I need is some £420 (€470) is …   It’s … well … what do I say^ª?
I know what you mean about football.   I’m not a fan of the game: but do know friends who are.   At least one says you should watch the lower league games.   They’re about the game, not the money!

†        I know, Trevor, I saw the Wildebeest comment!   Actually, my nephew’s back at school, today. Hopefully, he’ll be ok … 

‡        I can imagine, Debbi!   I still think it may be useful, but what do I know?   (Apart from the fact Microsoft charges a fortune for Office!)

^        Apart from “Where’s LibreOffice when you really need it?”

ª        That’s before you factor in the laptop!   You can get those, cheaply!

º        That particular quote was less … um … less odd than some of his others … 

3 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 1965
A2 Two and a Half Men
A3 March 2011
A4 2015
A5 Martin Sheen (Born Ramón Gerard Antonio Estévez )

Sorry to hear that you have been caught up in the classic “Catch 22” situation.

Olga said...

Q1) 1965
Q2) Two and a Half Men
Q3) 2011
Q4) 2015
Q5) Martin Sheen
The family comes from the same part of the country my Dad came from (although I don’t know which part of Galicia they hail from). A very strange man.
It's again an even more twisted version of Catch-22. One wonders if they shouldn't have at least a training version of Office at the Shaw Trust that they could lend their students to complete the course. I did a course to learn how to use a specific software translation tool and they downloaded it onto our computers. It was only a test version (free for a month), but it allowed us to do the course. I ended up deciding it wouldn't help for the kind of translations I do (these tools are also very expensive and yes, I'm sure you've guessed it, you have to pay the license every year. And, of course, it keeps also being renovated with new versions. And yes, they offer you a discount but...). What those people do is, if you belong to a translators' association, you can sometimes buy in group and they offer you a discount. The problem is, as well, that there are many different computer translating tools, and some agencies and jobs insist that you use more than one, so the costs can go up (with no guarantee that you'll get sufficient work to make it worth your while). And of course, they don't work the same so you have to train... It makes sense if you work for an agency, because they usually will buy the programme for all their staff, but as a freelancer, it's a risk.
I was checking, and although I don't know if any of that would be of any use to you (probably not), there seems to be a one month free trial of Office (I guess that probably wouldn't be long enough to complete the course) and also Office on the web, but that is a simplified version...
https://www.howtogeek.com/667717/how-to-get-microsoft-office-for-free/
My father used to watch amateur football and followed several of the local teams, and of course, on the radio where I work there are quite a few sports programme and we follow the local teams. :)

Debbi said...

Charlie can be a bit odd.

1. 1965
2. Two and a Half Men
3. 2011
4. 2015
5. Martin Sheen