Wednesday 9 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9th September, 2020

9th September, 2020.


Yep: I’ve got my nephew, over, this afternoon!

Which gives me something to look forward to!

Which MAY go on hold!

It turns out Jude’s got a cold … !

Arrrggghh!

~≈Ç≈~

Oh, JUST as a thought … ?

You’ve possibly released that I’m a fan of the Frank Herbert novel, Dune.

And have been for years.

I’ve been keeping an eye peeled for stuff about the upcoming Denis Villenueve film for some time.

Frankly?

You can tell the movie industry’s addicted to hype: when the trailer that’s due out today … has a trailer …



~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Trevor and Debbi on five out of five, and Olga on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) Which city was named after George Washington: on 9th September, 1791?
Q2) The first computer bug was found by ace programmer, Grace Hopper: on 9th September, 1947.   In a computer at which American university?
Q3) Dubai’s Metro system went into operation on 9th September, 2009.   Where is Dubai: Saudia Arabia, the United Arab Emirates or Bahrain?
Q4) Cardinal Armand Jean du Plessis was born on 9th September, 1585.   He’s better known as Cardinal … who?
Q5) Finally … ?   9th September, 1948, saw the founding of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.   Is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea better known as North Korea or South Korea?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 8th September, 1775, saw the Priests Uprising.   Where: Cyprus, Malta or Sardinia?
A1) Malta.
Q2) 8th September, 1966 saw the first broadcast of The Man Trap.   This was the first broadcast episode of which show?
A2) Star Trek.
Q3) The OSIRIS-REx probe was launched on 8 September 2016: launched to explore the 101955 Bennu asteroid.   The probe is due to return in which year?
A3) 2023.
Q4) 8th September, 1989, saw the birth of musician, DJ and producer, Avicii.   Which European country was he from?
A4) Sweden.
Q5) Finally … ?   8th September, 1979, saw the birth of Alicia Beth Moore: better known as which singer?
A5) Pink: also stylised as P!nk.
Here’s a thought …
“I sit on a man’s back, choking him, and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by any means possible, except getting off his back.”
Writings on Civil Disobedience and Nonviolence, Leo Tolstoy^, 9 September 1828 – 20 November, 1910.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I’ve not caught up with it in years, Olga: but American Horror Story is worth watching, I know that.   Both versions of Penny Dreadful were better made, I think: but AHS still an interesting watch.
I know you got my Twitter message about cache clearing: I still think it might be an idea: the only site that slows me down is Facebook: and having a clean out helps!
Oh, and have you managed to defrag it?   You should be able to get some easy to use tools for that!   (Defraggler’s, supposed to be quite good: as is CCleaner.)

†        That’s a shame, Trevor: Flickr’s going out of fashion … !   (At any rate?   Having a ’net capable phone can be useful.   Especially if the local mast has gone down!)

‡        Your thought, Debbi … !   Did I mention Dune, as a thought … ?   Oh, and guess what?   I’ve got another YouTube scammer!

^        In the wake of the death of George Floyd … ?   That quote seems vaguely topical.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Washington, D.C.
Q2) Harvard (a moth…;))
Q3) the United Arab Emirates
Q4) Richelieu
Q5) North Korea
Today it seemed OK, although I must remember to do it (when I don't have several windows open, that is). Yes, I was thinking about defragging, and I'm pretty sure I've done it before, although I thought it was something you could do from settings...

trev-v said...

A1 Washington, D.C.
A2 Harvard University
A3 United Arab Emirates
A4 Cardinal Richelieu
A5 North Korea

There is a difference between CCleaner and Defraggler. Both are now from the same supplier and I use both my self.

CCleaner used to be known by the name of Crap Cleaner and removes all unwanted files from a computer. Mainly remove all files from Browser caches and many files left behind by windows updates.

Defraggler compacts file and free disk space. I only use the quick defrag and the full defrag can take days on a large disk.

I have many tales about computer bugs but the best one is not exactly a computer bug. Years ago when I was a Programmer at Nottinghamshire County Council I occasionally got roped in to operate the computer overnight. This was because all the normal operators were girls and could not legally work after certain evening hours with out a senior male member of staff chaperoning them. But it was O.K. for the 20 year old me to be in County Hall by my self over night.

Anyway this Friday there has been a small fire in the building near the computer air conditioning units. So at the last minute I was roped in to operate over night. After my usual Friday evening drinking session I arrived at county hall and opened the large wooden door to the building. I bumped into the usual Police officers using the ground floor registration unit checking out car registrations (late 1960’s many years before the Internet).

I went upstairs to the ICL1940 computer room and set George 3 loose to run the computer. Put my feet up on the desk and started to read my book. At about 01.00 Firemen in full breathing gear burst into the computer room. Apparently one of the Fire sensors had trigger an alarm and the caretaker had called out the Fire brigade. No Alarm sounded in the computer room. After a look round the Firemen left. About ¾ hour later they burst in again. After 3 false alarms they switched the fire sensors off and I was left in peace until the cleaners came in on Saturday morning. The cleaners instant made me a cup of tea and against rule brought it into the computer room.

When the Ops manager came in at 07.30 I told him about the firemen and he said he would have to investigate. It turn out that lumps of soot from the fire was circulating around the system causing the false alarms. A good cleaning of the system removed the false alarms.




Debbi said...

Well, good luck with the scammers. Just don't fall for any of them.

1. Washington, DC
2. Harvard
3. the United Arab Emirates
4. Richelieu
5. North Korea