Saturday 5 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5th September, 2020

5th September, 2020.


Right … I suffer with depression: as you may or may not know.

And have to admit, I’m feeling a touch better, today.

Confession?   Is possibly good for the soul.

Either way … ?

I have to admit to watching TV, last night: the most recent episode of The Mandalorian: called The Reckoning.

You have to love an episode with a cliffhanger.


~≈¥≈~

Do you follow the news, at all?

I do: and I’m very aware the the protest movement, Extinction Rebellion, is hitting headlines.

Again.

Just as a word of warning.   I like ER’s aims … but I’m very aware some of their tactics stink.

Late last year, one protestor tried to make a point: preventing a train leaving Canning Town station, and getting a kicking, as a result.


I normally don’t advocate violence.

But, frankly?   I’ve been a commuter.

If you’re some silly bloody idiot stopping me get to work — or, just as importantly, get home — you deserve that kicking.

Like I say, I’m sympathetic to their aims, just not necessarily their methods.

They seem to have improved, somewhat.

Today the BBC News tells us that ER protestors are blockading various News UK sites.

That I can approve of, to an extent.

But … ?

I imagine News UK will be getting its product out, via their websites.

Quite what ER are planning, there, I don’t know.

The various papers’ sites are still up.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 5th September, 1973, saw the birth of actor, Paddy Considine.   In which film did he play Sergeant Eddie Parks?
Q2) Léopold Sédar Senghor was elected president: on 5th September, 1960.   Of where?
Q3) The last Australian state to abolish capital punishment, did so on 5th September, 1984.   Which state was it?
Q4) September 5, 1567, saw the birth of Japanese lord, Date Masamune.   He founded which Japanese city: Chiba, Hiroshima or Sendai?
Q5) Finally … ?   The Reign of Terror started: on 5 September, 1793.   In which European country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 4th September, 1977, was the date of the Golden Dragon Massacre.   The shooting was part of a rivalry between Chinese American gangs: in which US city?
Q2) 4th September, 1563, saw the birth of the Wanli Emperor.   Which Chinese dynasty did he belong to?
A2) The Ming dynasty.   (Wanli was his regnal name: he’d been born Zhu Yijun.)
Q3) 4th September, 1913, saw the birth of gangster, Micky Cohen.   He ran illegal operations with Bugsy Siegel, where: New York, Chicago or Las Vegas?
A3) Las Vegas.   (Strictly, they formed the Vegas Strip.
Q4) 4th September, 1975, saw the birth of producer and DJ, Mark Ronson.   He co-produced the Back to Black album for which singer?
Q5) Finally … ?   4th September, 1981, saw the birth of singer, Beyoncé.   She came to fame with which girl band?
Here’s a thought …
“God seems to have left the receiver off the hook, and time is running out.”
The Ghost in the Machine, Arthur Koestler, 5 September 1905 – 1 March 1983.
And some John Cage …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Olga, you’re an angel in Catalonia!   Thank you for those: I’ve just downloaded them!   And you’re right, exercise can be good: I always try and get out of the house, just to make sure! :D

†        Just saw your Facebook post, Trevor: they still haven’t touched the websites, if that’s any help …

‡        I hope so, Debbi!   :D   It should be good!

3 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 The Girl with all the Gifts
A2 Senegal
A3 Western Australia
A4 Sendai
A5 France

Yes XR were trying to stop Murdock papers because they did not write about them. My non Murdock paper The Daily Telegraph was caught up with this because the News and Sports sections are published there. I was able to pick up all the important Saturday supplements because they are delivered a day earlier. Being a subscriber for both the printed and online versions of te Telegraph I can read the news there and on the biased BBC.
So I now have my TV schedule for the week and the prize crossword.

Olga said...

Q1) The Girl with All the Gifts
Q2) Senegal
Q3) Western Australia
Q4) Sendai
Q5) France
I'm pleased to hear you're feeling better. And I hope you enjoy the book (mini-book, really, but I had fun putting it together). I had been collecting some thoughts and reflections and wondered if it was time to try to do something with them.
I am thinking about more videos (although I'm truly going to try and make them shorter, because I know people don't have the time, and after all they are meant to be tasters rather than full lessons) soon. I got a message from the place where I went for the interview, the one organising home lessons, and there might be a possibility of teaching some lessons to a young girl, but I won't hear anything for sure until Monday (if I do), and I'd still have to go for a second interview, but well, it would be good to get some experience, as most of the other places insist on experience. I'll keep you posted.
Keep taking it one day at a time. :)

Debbi said...

Interesting quote. And music. :)

1. The Girl with All the Gifts
2. Senegal
3. Western Australia
4. Sendai
5. France