Tuesday 22 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22-9-2020: François Duvalier

22nd September, 2020. 


Right: I’ve now had the first face to face Job Centre meeting for quite some time.

It seemed to go well enough.

It’s

And I was able to get my gripes about the laptop situation off my chest.

Granted, I don’t think there’s much he could do about it.

Indeed, he said as much, himself: the programme’s arranged at a national level, so any local complaints really don’t register.

Something I though would be the case.

It — if I’ve understood how it works, correctly — works like the Work Programme I was on, many years ago.

Both get/got paid to take us on from the Job Centre.   Both get/got their expenses covered by the Government.   Both get/got a bonus if they find us a job.

And, right now?   I’m convinced I’m going to come out of the other end of the Shaw Trust’s Health and Work Programme … 

As jobless as I went into it, and its predecessor.

~≈Á≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga on ten out of ten and Debbi on nine.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

 
Q1)    François Duvalier was elected president: on 22nd September of which year?

Q2)    President of where?

Q3)    Duvalier was nicknamed Papa … what?

Q4)    Duvalier created his country’s secret police: the Volontaires de la Sécurité Nationale, or VSN. The VSN were better known how?

Q5)    Finally … ?   Duvalier modelled himself on a Vodou loa — or god — in order to control his people.   Which Vodou loa?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)    Is twenty-one (21) odd or even?
A1)    Odd.

Q2)    Is twenty-one (21) a prime number?
A2)    No.   (Prime numbers are only divisible by themselves or one (1).   Twenty-one (21) is three times seven, 3*7.)

Q3)    You need twenty-one (21) points to win a game of what: badminton, chess or football?
A3)    Badminton.

Q4)    Which version of Australian rules football has twenty-one (21) members in its squad: men’s or women’s?
A4)    Women’s.

Q5)    The game, twenty-one (21), is a forerunner of pontoon and blackjack.   All three are played with a deck of … what?
A5)    Playing cards. (Apparently? The earliest description of the game is in a novel by Miguel Cervantes.) 

Q6)    The 2008 film, 21, features a version of that game: called blackjack.   The film’s about a group of cards cheats from which US university?
A6) MIT.   Here’s my review.

Q7)    The first film called Twenty-one was released in which year: 1917, 1918 or 1919?
A7)    1918.   (It’s now lost.)

Q8)    Who release the 2011 LP, 21?
A8)    Adele Laurie Blue Adkins: more simply known as Adele.

Q9)    Famously?   The 21st Amendment to the US Constitution repealed what: slavery, women’s right to vote, or Prohibition?
A9)    Prohibition.

Q10)    Finally?   The 21 Club is a former speakeasy.   In which US city: Chicago, Los Angeles or New York?
A10)    New York.
Here’s a thought …
“I accept the people’s will.   As a revolutionary, I have no right to disregard the will of the people.”
François Duvalier.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Right, gotcha, Olga: I think it’s possibly the handles situation that’s confused me, there.   Asymmetric handles are the ban of my life.   Actually, so is asymmetric design, generally.  As you probably could guess, I’ve very pernickety about things like spatulas, kettle, scissors, yada, yada … yada!
There’s an American English term!
T-shirt yarn?   T-shirt yarn?   I’d love to see a crocheted t-shirt!   I could possibly only get away with that … if I wasn’t built like me!
Plumbers and plums … I think the less said the better!   But I do know the word, plumber, comes from plumbum, the Latin word for lead.   That’s my chemistry classes talking!
Remind me and Debbi to tell you about Warley Hill … !   (Actually, Debbi would be a good source of American English terms: cell phone for mobile, realtor for real estate agent.   She’s actually reviewed Good Omens and The Colour of Magic in her latest video: and, of course, the US title is The Color of Magic.   That’s possibly a good way of highlighting the spelling differences.   What do I know?   😀)

†        That’s a shame, Debbi, but it IS understandable: these things aren’t exactly cheap!   If I can get copies, you’d be welcome.
I saw the video, by the way: and I’ve put it into the cards at the start of today’s Teaser video.   And I’ve mentioned it to Olga, as an example of US and British spelling differences: I hope it helps!   (Would getting a subscription to the Oxford English Dictionary be helpful for prepping UK editions of your work?   Or would Websters cover the spelling differences?)
Actually, that’s a thought!   You get a mention in the answers bit of the video on the 29th.   Thought you’d appreciate a heads up!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1957
Q2) Haiti
Q3) Doc
Q4) Tonton Macoute
Q5) Baron Samedie
Thanks for the suggestions, Paul. Yes, I also remembered the Latin origin of the word (although I thought I'd avoid confusing the girl further, as trying to remember Spanish, Catalan, German, and English is probably enough for now). In Spanish it is "fontanero". The T-shirt yarn tends to be used for items made of thick materials (like bags, carpets...) and not usually something to wear, although they might work for a belt, for instance. Hard-wearing material once crocheted, but you need space while you work, because the yarn can take a lot of space.
I get what you say about the course. When you get to a certain age it's very difficult to find a job unless your skill set is very specific, rare, and in demand. Otherwise, the competition is fierce and most companies are likely to prefer somebody younger who might work for them potentially for a much longer time. I think the government should incentivise companies, but it's also difficult to get into the job market if you're unskilled, inexperienced and young, so...

trev-v said...

A1 1957
A2 Haiti
A3 Doc
A4 Tonton Macoute
A5 Baron Samedi

After watching 2 soccer matches last night I had to use the BBC iPlayer to catch up on Only Connect and the University Challenge.

Just got my letter inviting me for my annual Flu jab. Lots of new rules due to Covid-19. Main one being it is not in the surgery but in Shenfield Parish Hall.

Debbi said...

You know, I never thought of issuing any of my books with British spellings.

I figured you all could muddle through with my American version. :)

1. 1957
2. Haiti
3. Doc
4. the Macoute
5. Baron Samedi

But that's an interesting thought. :) I don't know. I'd have someone else do the search and replace, I guess. But really ... is it needed? I don't know. I can read British English with no problem. :)

Wow! I couldn't find that lost movie to save my life. :)