Friday 4 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4th September, 2020

4th September, 2020.


Did I ever mention I suffer with depression?

I suffer with depression: usually, something that I cope with, with medication.

The recent funding decision, going against me?

Was definitely a blow.

I have to say, the one thing that does help?

Is quickly admitting I’m struggling: that two years on the dole, and no apparently way out at the moment?

Is getting me down.

Billie Piper’s Because We Want To banging around my head?

Isn’t necessarily helpful!


One bit of advise I do know I’ve found helpful?

Is the old saw we hear at AA meetings: ‘one day at a time.’

Frankly?

I’ve an episode of The Mandalorian, to watch: as it’s Friday?

That gives me something to look forward to.


~≈Î≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 4th September, 1977, was the date of the Golden Dragon Massacre.   The shooting was part of a rivalry between Chinese American gangs: in which US city?
Q2) 4th September, 1563, saw the birth of the Wanli Emperor.   Which Chinese dynasty did he belong to?
Q3) 4th September, 1913, saw the birth of gangster, Micky Cohen.   He ran illegal operations with Bugsy Siegel, where: New York, Chicago or Las Vegas?
Q4) 4th September, 1975, saw the birth of producer and DJ, Mark Ronson.   He co-produced the Back to Black album for which singer?
Q5) Finally … ?   4th September, 1981, saw the birth of singer, Beyoncé.   She came to fame with which girl band?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 3rd September saw the birth of actor, Charlie Sheen.   In which year?
A1) 1965.
Q2) He became the USA’s highest paid actor in 2010: as a result of appearing in which series?
Q3) He was dismissed from that show: after criticising the show’s creator.   In which year?
A3) 2011.
Q4) He announced he was HIV positive: in which year?
A4) 2015.
Q5) Finally … ?   He was an extra in 1979’s Apocalypse Now: which starred his father.   Who is Charlie’s father?
Here’s a thought …
“Power is not given to you. You have to take it.”
Beyoncé, 4th September, 1981.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        What can I tell you, Trevor^?   Apart from reminding you of Terry Pratchett’s description of faster than light particles: “a bugger.”

†        You’re not the first person to mention Catch 22, Olga^.   It’s … well … !   The trial version is a good idea … but I suspect it wouldn’t necessarily include MS Access: and I’d still need a Windows based laptop, as Microsoft don’t make a Mac version of Access!   Argh!   (Ha!   The trial Mac version is still 10gb.   Two and a half times bigger than the Windows version.   Oh, well … )

‡        A bit odd?   It’s that Adonis DNA, Debbi^, that’s going to something … !

^        Which reminds me, I’ve an (appropriate) ten question set on the 10th.   I’ll give you a clue, shall I … ?

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) San Francisco
Q2) Ming
Q3) Las Vegas
Q4) Amy Winehouse
Q5) Destiny’s Child
Do take care, Paul. One day at a time is right. I also used to tell patients that sometimes, when we are at the bottom of a hole, we can only see darkness and we keep digging ourselves deeper in, but there is light if we can look up. Exercise is very good for depressed mood, and it does not need to be strenuous.
Oh, I suspect I’ve given you this before (and I’m not even sure if the links work still), but I created a bilingual book with photographs and a few “pearls of wisdom” a couple of years back. It’s very short but I wanted to try and see how it would work. In an ideal world I’d like to print it in a small format, but I haven’t found a good way to do it…
Not sure which format you’d prefer, so just in case.
MOBI
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vusctud8uafw13m/20-Things-Ive-Learned-from-My-Patients-A-Psychiatrists-Pearls-of-Wisdom-to-Help-You-Thrive-20-cosas-que-he-aprendido-de-mis-pacientes-Consejos-de-una.mobi?dl=0
E-PUB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqp36wutabij3y6/20-Things-Ive-Learned-from-My-Patients-A-Psychiatrists-Pearls-of-Wisdom-to-Help-You-Thrive-20-cosas-que-he-aprendido-de-mis-pacientes-Consejos-de-una-psiquiatra-English-SpanishIngls-esp.epub?dl=0


trev-v said...

A1 San Francisco
A2 Ming
A3 Las Vegas
A4 Amy Winehouse
A5 Destiny's Child

Well even at 72 I am still learning things. Watching last night’s Baroque prom on BBC 4 I discovered a Newcastle composer Charles Avison (1709m- 1770)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Avison

Tonight’s Prom stars Anoushka Shankar celebrating what would have been her father Ravi’s centenary year.

I shall be watching it in the empty Royal Albert Hall.



Debbi said...

Well, I guess I can probably manage it. :)

1. San Francisco
2. Ming
3. Las Vegas
4. Amy Winehouse
5. Destiny's Child