Friday 25 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25th September, 2020.

25th September, 2020.

Yep: I’m going to looking at fish and chips, tonight.

I’ve got them in the freezer — at least, got the fish in the freezer — already.

All that needs … ?

Is home made chips.

~≈ß≈~

One thing I … 

No, scrub that.

Two things I know?

One is that the weather out looks terrible.

I think we can safely say Autumn’s coming.

Another … ?

Is that I’ve got a meeting today: with the Shaw Trust, the guys running the Work and Help Programme I’m on.

It’s not my usual case worker, I should add.

He’s on holiday.

How will it go?

We’ll have to see.

~≈ß≈~

As a third thing?

I’ve managed to picked up the blu-ray version of Fury from the Deep: the latest Patrick Troughton story to receive the reanimation treatment.

I’ll tell you what, I wish I’d managed to preorder the thing!

Amazon, itself, was charging £27·99, but have run out: so the third party sellers on the site are charging a fortune!


~≈ß≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)    Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Evita made its stage debut, on 25th September, 1979.   Where: the West End, Broadway or Kabukichō?

Q2)    25th September, 1968, saw the birth of actor, Will Smith.   He was one half of a duo on his first five album: along side which DJ?

Q3)    25th September, 1984, saw the death of actor, Walter Pidgeon.   In which film did he play Professor Edward Morbius?

Q4)    The Sequoia National Park was founded on 25th September, 1890.   What IS a sequoia: a tree, a mountain or a wildcat?

Q5)    Finally … ?   25th September, 1764, saw the birth of which especially mutinous sailor?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)    The USS Enterprise was launched on 24th September, 1960.   The ship was the world’s (then) largest nuclear powered what: submarine, aircraft carrier or battle-cruiser?
A1)    Aircraft carrier.

Q2)    Thabo Mbeki resigned: on 24th September, 2008.   As president of where?
A2)    South Africa.

Q3)    The Munsters debuted: on 24th September, 1964.   Who played the head of the household, Herman Munster?
A3)    Fred Gwynne.

Q4)    24th September, 2019, saw the House of Representatives launch impeachment articles: against whom?

Q5)    Finally … ?   September 24, 1896 saw the birth of F. Scott Fitzgerald.   Which of his novels is regarded as The Great American Novel.
A5)    The Great Gatsby.   (Which I have to admit, I’ve never read.   There’s not enough tentacles on the cover.)
Here’s a thought …
“I wake up every day full of hope, positive that every day is going to be better than yesterday.”
Will Smith, born September 25, 1968.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        We used get something similar, Olga.   The Saturday morning wrestling you’d get in the UK was occasionally known as ‘all in.’   So long as it was all in the ring, it was a legal move.   I used to watch with my grandmother, years before it stopped being aired.   And someone I knew does it: he goes under the name Cayden Blade.
Hang on, all of Prince Valiant?   That could be worth a few bob!   At ANY rate?   If that market do any of the Dan Dare reprints, they might appeal: although Trevor might find those interesting!   (I’d possibly be looking for Alan Moore’s Dr and Quinch: it’s Animal House/Dennis the Menace as aliens, if you see what I mean?)
Now I think of it?   Look out for The Ballad of Halo Jones: Alan Moore and Ian Gibson were on fire!

†        Cheers for that, Trevor: I can bookmark it for after the meeting.   Did you know Jasper’s daughter is in The Archers?
As I recall, the Grannies could win you a wrestling match … if you weren’t careful!   (They’d probably also turn up at public executions at Wandsworth.   As I recall?   From the little I read, there were real world CMOT Dibblers in attendance, as well.)

‡       Glad to hear it, Debbi: I’m going to have to start watching it!
Oh, I’ve mentioned The Ballad of Halo Jones to Olga: I’m going to rave about it to you, as well!   It’s one hell of a story!   (Moore and Gibson never wrote more than three books: there were copyright ownership isues!   Wouldn’t you know it?)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) OK, this one is weird. According to Wikipedia, it opened on the West End on the 21st June 1978. It was shown in Los Angeles and San Francisco before opening on Broadway on the 25th of September 1979, so I wouldn’t call that the stage debut by any stretch of the imagination.
Q2) Jazzy Jeff
Q3) Forbidden Planet
Q4) A tree
Q5) Fletcher Christian
I'll keep my eyes peeled for your recommendations. Although they stock a lot of the Spanish versions of the comics and graphic novels, I did see quite a few original English versions as well (although I was looking for textbooks so I didn't check in detail). The Prince Valiant collection was a collection sold in installments here, a new one per week, and you could collect them in books (8 large volumes). Of course, this was the Spanish version, but is gorgeous. I suspect you are right though, and they might be worth some money, even if they are not the originals... I'm not letting them go unless I have to, though.
Good luck with your meeting today.

trev-v said...

A1 Broadway but it had had it stage debut in 1978 in the West End.
A2 DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince
A3 Forbidden Planet
A4 Tree
A5 Fletcher Christian

Question 1 is very badly written.

Ah Dan Dare (Pilot of the Future) on the cover of the Eagle comic from it’s inception in 1950.

I have 13 of the 12 volumes of the facsimiles of the front and back pages of the Eagle containing the Adventures of Dan Dare. The reason I have 13 is volume 1 came out in both hard cover and soft cover. All the others are hard cover only.

Dan Dare’s main protagonist was the Mekon who had a small body and very large head. He rode around on a magnetically levitated saucer like vehicle. He had no feelings of compassion and I think that Davros in Dr Who was based on him.

Of course Dan Dare was fashioned on the brave men of the RAF and the Space fleet was certainly based on the RAF.

Debbi said...

I'm pretty sure I've read it. Yes, I did! Here's my review: https://youtu.be/sRhwwu6pbT0

1. the West End
2. DJ Jazzy Jeff
3. Forbidden Planet
4. a tree
5. Fletcher Christian (aka, Mr. Christian)

Debbi said...

BTW, despite the distinct lack of tentacles, The Great Gatsby is a really great book!