Thursday 24 September 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24th September, 2020.

24th September, 2020.


Right … I got paid, yesterday: and will be scrimping and saving for the rest of the month.

As you do!

However?   I’ve managed to order the basic Christmas presents for my family.

Including … a hat!

You can possibly guess who that’s for.

~≈¥≈~

One thing I did notice, when I went shopping, yesterday?

Was Sainsbury’s.

The place is hard to miss.

The one thing I seriously noticed?

Was the amount of empty shelves.

It’s not as bad as it was at the heart of Lockdown.

But enough to pay attention to the low amounts of stock: of bread, of milk, of toilet paper.

I’ve been hearing rumours — rumours, mind — that there’s panic buying going on.

Giving what I saw, yesterday?

That wouldn’t surprise me.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Trevor on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)    The USS Enterprise was launched on 24th September, 1960.   The ship was the world’s (then) largest nuclear powered what: submarine, aircraft carrier or battle-cruiser?

Q2)    Thabo Mbeki resigned: on 24th September, 2008.   As president of where?

Q3)    The Munsters debuted: on 24th September, 1964.   Who played the head of the household, Herman Munster?

Q4)    24th September, 2019, saw the House of Representatives launch impeachment articles: against whom?

Q5)    Finally … ?   September 24, 1896 saw the birth of F. Scott Fitzgerald.   Which of his novels is regarded as The Great American Novel.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)    Which British travel company declared itself bankrupt: on 23rd September, 2019?

A1)    Thomas Cook.   (The company’s stores were bought by Hays Travel: the Brentwood branch closed during Lockdown.)

Q2)    Saint Kitts and Nevis joined the UN: on 23rd September, 1983.   What’s the capital of Saint Kitts and Nevis?

A2) Basseterre.

Q3)    23rd September, 1900, saw the birth of veteran, Bill Stone.   He was in training in WW1 and served in WW2.   In which branch of the UK’s Armed Forces: the Army, Navy or Airforce?

A3)    The Royal Navy.

Q4)    23rd September, 1917, saw the birth of Mexican wrestler, El Santo.   Mexican wrestling is also known as what?

A4)    Lucha libre. (Its masked practitioners are luchadors, and traditionally, masked: the mask’s removal, in a match, sees the wrestling lose the match and retire.)

Q5)    Finally … ?   23rd September, 1926, saw the birth of Jazz musician, John Coltrane.   Which instrument did he play: the trumpet, saxophone or trombone?

A5)    The saxophone.

Here’s a thought …

“It takes a genius to whine appealingly.”

From a letter to Maxwell Perkins, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, September 24, 1896 – December 21, 1940.

And some music

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.


*        I’m an ex-barman, Olga: however experienced we are, it always comes down to the money.   And, yes: fountain was the first word I thought of.   Actually, the original Watchmen^ graphic novel is well worth a read: there’s an argument it’s the best thing Alan Moore ever wrote, up there — possibly — with 1984.   (He’s also the man behind From Hell, and V for Vendetta: and a pile of other stuff.   He takes his name off the movie versions, as a matter of principle.)

†        Sorry to have to say it, Trevor … but a luchador/luchador enmascarado is a Mexican wrestler.   Mexican wrestling is Lucha libre: free fighting, if I’ve got the translation right.   Kendo Nagasaki would’ve gone down well, I think.   At ANY rate … !   Nice to know there’s an element of truth to the old gag.   It reminds me of my time at Pinnacle.   If we got IT calls on the day shift, we were allowed to ask if they’d turned it off and on again.   It saved IT half a job.   (I’ve got In Our Time, on: today’s covering the cave painting at Lascaux.)

‡        I’ll take your word for it, Debbi!   Oh, I’ve got the modern remake of Perry Mason sitting around: I’m going to have to check it out, once Watchmen’s done!


^        If Spiderman’s a candidate for The Great American Novel?   Watchmen is possibly one of the British equivalents.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Aircraft carrier
Q2) South Africa
Q3) Fred Gwynne
Q4) Donald Trump
Q5) The Great Gatsby (He writes beautifully and it’s a blessedly short novel).
You are right about "lucha libre". It's free fight, basically with no rules, although, of course, it's all a performance, but quite funny. My father was a fan, although I suspect they would probably have enjoyed the American style as well (although perhaps a bit over the top). I'm not a big reader of graphic novels (comics) other than Prince Valiant (my grandmother had the whole collection, in Spanish, in book format, and I have it now), but I must try and get hold of some of the classic ones. There is a Sunday market in Barcelona where they sell second hand books, collectables, and that, and they have a booming market and offer on comics, so I must have look.

trev-v said...

A1 aircraft carrier
A2 South Africa
A3 Frederick Hubbard Gwynne
A4 Donald John Trump
A5 The Great Gatsby


Kendo Nagasaki I remember watching on Saturday afternoon on the sports programs. My seconf sister (I had 5) used to go to the Baths Hall in Scunthorpe to watch live wrestling. She may have been like those Ladies knitting by the Guillotine as heads were chopped off.

Speaking of the old Baths Hall here is Jasper Carrott on his first visit there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EarwU_u1CU








Debbi said...

The new Perry is pretty good. I was a bit put off by him at first, but warmed up to it quickly as I watched.

Perry seemed like such a jerk initially, but had enough redeeming qualities for me to stick with the show. It was worth it!

1. aircraft carrier
2. South Africa
3. Fred Gwynne
4. Donald Trump
5. The Great Gatsby