Tuesday 18 May 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18-5-2021: Nicholas 2nd

18th May, 2021.




Oy veh!

Would you believer that the Zoom interview I was due to have yesterday?

Has had to be re-scheduled.

The thunderstorm in Romford, where the company is … ?

Caused the signal to collapse … !

Oy veh … !

~≈†≈~

A few days ago, I told you I’d written to my MP: about photo ID.

I got a formal written reply from my local MP, Alex Burghart, on Monday.


If you can’t make that out, here’s what he said.
Dear Mr Downie

Thank you for contacting me about voter ID

A secure electoral system is a vital component of a health democracy, and the public must have confidence that our elections are secure and fit for the 21st Century.   Asking voters to bring ID to their polling station is an important way of achieving this and the electoral Integrity Bill will put such a requirement into law.

Voter ID is not new.   Northern Ireland had required paper ID at polling stations since 1985, and photo ID since 2003 — introduced by the last Labour Government.   It has been proved to be effective at tackling fraud and not curtailed election turnout.

Identification to vote has been backed by the Electoral Commission and international elections watchdogs.   At present, it is harder to take out a library book or collect a parcel at a post office than it is to vote in someone else’s name.

In pilot schemes in 2019 and 2018, the overwhelming majority go people cast their vote without a problem and the success of the pilots proves that this is a reasonable and proportionate measure to take, and that there was no notable effect on turnout.



Under the Government’s proposals, anyone without an ID will be able to apply for a new free one — meaning that no voter, including those, like you, on Universal Credit, will be disenfranchised as you have suggested.

Thank you again, for taking the time to contact me to share your concerns.

Yours sincerely, 

Alex Burghart, MP.
You’ll notice he stresses the ‘free voter ID’?

I certainly did.

As did a friend of mine: who also sent a letter to her MP, Julia Lopez MP … and who got an identically worded reply, courtesy of Ms Lopez’s constituency assistant.

I sent a reply to Alex Burghart.
Dear Mr Burghart.

First things, I’d like to take this chance to thank you for explaining the Electoral Integrity Bill to me: I appreciate this takes up a lot of your valuable time.



I did, however, want to raise a couple of follow up points with you. 


I’d like to quibble the ease of applying for a library ticket or pick up a parcel with you.



The last time I need to apply for a Library card, I only needed a couple of letters with my address on them.


The last parcel I need to pick up from the Post Office?

I only needed my bank card, and the card left by the postman.



Could you explain the current ID needed for proxy voting: I’m unfamiliar with it. 


But if proxy voting is truly easier then collecting a parcel?

Why not insist on photo ID just for those casting a proxy vote?



Secondly?   In the 2019 and 2018 pilot schemes, how did those of us with no ID, identify themselves?



Thirdly, and finally … ?


I have to admit, I knew about the proposed ‘Free Photo ID cards.’   The media coverage does mention it.


That ‘free voter ID’ is where, again, I have concerns about costs.

In order to claim this free voter ID, I’m assuming I would need to provide a passport sized photo: is that correct?


And would need a letter as proof of address, and possibly a birth certificate.



Replacement birth certificates, if needed, will cost money: some thirty-five pounds, going by the relevant site.



Passport ID photos would also cost money.


I have to ask, Mr Burghart, how am I supposed to afford that free voter ID: if I can’t afford the documents needed to apply for it?

As well intentioned as this bill is, it still seems I have to buy my right to vote.



Yours,
I would LOVE to get a reply off the man, I really would.

I suspect I won’t.

Which is a shame: I’d love to hear his reply.

~≈⨷≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Edith^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum and Edith on three.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        18th May saw the birth of Tsar Nicholas 2nd of Russia.   In which year of the 1860s?

Q2)        The Russian Orthodox Church call him Saint Nicholas the what Bearer: Passion Bearer, Sword Bearer or Shield Bearer?

Q3)        His title — Tsar — was roughly equivalent to Emperor.   It comes from the word, Caesar.   Caesar is a word in which language: Latin, Sanskrit or Greek?

Q4)        Nicholas 2nd’s reign started in which year: 1893, 1894 or 1895?

Q5)        Finally … ?   He was assassinated by Russian revolutionaries, in July of which year: 1918, 1917 or 1916?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        17th May, 2006, saw the sinking of the USS Oriskany: in the Gulf of Mexico.   In order to form what: an artificial reef, an underwater cemetery or a cheese factory?
A1)        An artificial reef.

Q2)        The last Liberal government of the UK fell: on 17th May, 1915.   Who was the Prime Minister that had been in charge: Anthony Eden, H. H. Asquith or David Lloyd George?
A2)        H. H. Asquith.

Q3)        The USA’s first same-sex weddings were held: on 17th May, 2004.   In which US state?
A3)        Massachusetts.

Q4)        17th May, 1866, saw the birth of composer, Erik Satie.   In which country: France, Spain or Germany?
A4)        France.

Q5)        Finally … ?   17th May, 1935, saw the birth of dramatic, Dennis Potter.   His first series for the BBC was all about which Italian Lothario?
A5)        Giacomo Casanova.   (Can someone remind me to [pick up a copy of Blue Remembered Hills … ?   Thanks!)
Here’s a thought … 
“I shall not consider the possibility of any resignation.”
Tsar Nicholas 2nd.
And a burial …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        You mean this episode of Arena, Trevor?   I’ll have to bookmark that one: I’m catching For All Mankind, tonight.

†        I’ll have to check the place out: if I ever get the chance, Olga!   As for ‘Mine,’ … ?   That’s me not keeping an eye on Pages’ spell checker.
And how you handle meetings?   That’s kind of the way I was thinking: it’s not on if you get no confirmation!
Hopefully, I’ll get that today: I don’t know if yesterday’s Zoom link will work, so getting a new one would be an idea!

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Did you mean the Hazel O’Connor song, Edith¹?   It’s one of my favourites: and comes from a film called Breaking Glass: Hazel plays a singer who breaks down, under the pressure of her fame.   Eighth Day was the song she does at the film’s ending: it’s the last song she performs before breaking down, and had quite a light show!


¹        I really should sit down with that film, Edith: thanks for reminding me it’s out there!

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1868

Q2) Passion Bearer

Q3) Latin

Q4) 1894

Q5) 1917
Sorry about the meeting. It is far from a foolproof system, although it's good news that they wanted it to go ahead at least. Good luck with the meeting and with everything.

trev-v said...

A1 1868
A2 Passion-Bearer,
A3 Latin
A4 1894
A5 1918

Yes that is the program. It may only be viewable in the UK.

Speaking of Photo Id my Bus pass was automatically renewed in April. The picture on it is the one I had done when I first applied for a free bus pass when I was 60. As you know I turned 73 on Sunday. New Pass good until 31 Oct 2025. Will not need Photo Id to vote because I applied earlier this year for a Postal vote and voted by post for the first time earlier this month.

Freda said...

1 1868
2 Sword bearer
3 Latin

4 1894
5 1917

Debbi said...

Nice tune! I learn about such great music here! :)

1. 1868
2. Passion Bearer
3. Latin
4. 1894
5. 1918

Edith said...

1. 1865
2. Soward Bearer
3. Latin
4. 1894
5. 1917

yes. You are welcome The most recent Hazel O'connor song you posted was quite interesting.