Monday 10 May 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 10th May, 2021

10th May, 2021.



Yes: I’ve got just enough cash to do a little shopping!

And enough time, this evening, to make some goulash.

Or possibly spaghetti.

We’ll have to see.

~≈€≈~

I’ve got to admit, I feel slightly rushed: I’ve a phone meeting my Shaw Trust case worker, today.

That doesn’t stop raising something with you.

You’ve heard of earworms, yes?   Songs playing themselves around you head?

I’m wondering what the visual equivalent would be.

I’ve been re-reading Moorcock’s A Nomad of the Time Streams.

And, as ever, had a mental image of what Una Persson — one of the main characters — looks like.

A very specific mental image.

I think a lot of people do something similar.

It bothered me enough to that I went looking, yesterday.

And, after about half an hour’s Googling?

Realised my version of the character looked like Gina McKee.

I wish I knew why!

But, as I’ve said?   I think more people did something similar: they have mental images of a fictional character … that’ll turn out to be a very specific person*!

~≈€≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor†, Olga‡, Mum^, Debbiª and Edithº putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Mum scoring five out of five, and Edith and Debbi on four.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        10th May, 1924, saw who named as the director of the FBI?

Q2)        Louis 16th became King of France: on 10th May, 1774.   Who was his Queen Consort: Marie Antoinette, Catherine de Medici or Eleanor of Aquitaine?

Q3)        Fred Astaire was born on 10th May, 1899.   1933’s Flying Down to Rio was his first film appearance with who?

Q4)        Producer, David O. Selznick, was born on 10th May, 1902.   He won a Best Picture Oscar for 1940’s Rebecca.   Who directed Rebecca: John Huston, Billy Wilder or Alfred Hitchcock?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Keith Richards and Mick Jagger appeared in court on Drugs charges: on 10th May, 1967.   They’re both members of which band?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        9th May, 1927, saw the opening of the original Parliament.   Where: Australia, New Zealand or Canada?
A1)        Australia.

Q2)        9th May, 1979, saw the birth of actress, Rosario Dawson.   She’s recently played a Jedi called Ahsoka.   In which Disney+ series?
A2)        The Mandalorian.   (This is everybody’s cue to do Baby Yoda impressions)

Q3)        9th May, 1945, saw the end of the Nazi Occupation of Jersey, and Guernsey.   The two are part of the what Islands: Channel Islands, Outer Hebrides or Shetlands?
A3)        The Channel Islands.

Q4)        9th May, 1860, saw the birth of writer, J. M. Barrie.   He gave the rights to his Peter works, and character, to whom: Barnardo’s, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, or Oxfam?

Q5)        9th May, 1935, saw the birth of writer, Roger Hargreaves.   The first seven of his Mr Men novels were published in which year: 1970, 1971 or 1972?

A5)        1971.   Those seven books were Mr Tickle, Mr Greedy, Mr Happy, Mr Sneeze, Mr Bump and Mr Snow.   More importantly?   Are you a Roundy or a Squary?   Well?
Here’s a thought … 
“There are only two classes: first class and no class.”
David O. Selznick, May 10, 1902 – June 22, 1965.
And a song …


(Maybelle’s singing in the video: and playing guitar.   Her distinctive fingerpicking style — known as the Carter Scratch — is heard in that song: and, apparently, quite had to copy.)

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        ‘My’ version of Molly Millions?   Looks like Chrissie Hynde … 

†        With respect, Trevor?   :P … !   On a politer note?   Cheers: I honestly thought I’d got that date right!
Dom’s sort of right: at the time I was working at the Hutton, I was on Ingrave Road, by Shenfield Common: what’s now called Fouroaks, but was Brentwood Maternity Hospital.

‡        As Trevor pointed out, Olga: I managed to get the date wrong: it’s not affected your score, though … !   I’m glad to help on the Paul Heaton from, though!
And give Anna my congratulations, please, she’s done well!   (I think she owes her teacher a big thank you!)
And Sunday went well: dinner with the family, again!

^        Hello, Mum!

ª        Gosh, I hope so, Debbi, I really do!   I seem to recall something to do with the slave population: wasn’t there something about a slave being three fifths of a non slave, for census purposes?   I know less about US history than I think!

º        You can, Edith: it’s very sad … … 
(That’s a thought, Edith, have you heard of Maybelle Carter?   Apparently, her fingerpicking technique’s hard to do!)

6 comments:

Nik Nak said...

JUST as a thought for you both, Olga, Debbi, as you’re the two writers on the team: is that some thing you both get?

Do your regular characters look like someone?

(Debbi, I know you said Little D was loosely based on someone you knew: and am very aware Terry Pratchett mentally picture one of his recurring characters looked like a young Pete Postlethwaite.)

Olga said...

Q1) J. Edgar Hoover

Q2) Marie Antoinette

Q3) Ginger Rogers

Q4) Alfred Hitchcock

Q5) The Rolling Stones
I'm happy you had a good Sunday. I saw some of the pictures. I know some writers have actors or people in mind when writing their books, as that helps them keep descriptions straight and imagine what is happening in their heads (I normally only have a vague idea, but if the character is inspired by somebody, then, definitely), so yes, I'm sure you're not alone. For me, I think it depends on the book, as sometimes I feel either as if I was in the middle of the action myself, or just looking over somebody's shoulder, but it depends on how the book is written.
I like what I've heard of the Carters but haven't done much digging around. (Slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person when it came to a State's representation, although, of course, they couldn't vote. Sorry, I read the comment and had to check. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-fifths_Compromise)
I'll pass the message on to Anna. She has the test for the last book in English coming up soon. The Enemy by Desmond Bagley. Not an author I'd ever read, although it seems he was quite popular in the seventies, and they've adapted quite a few of his novels to the screen, including this one. Have you ever read him?

trev-v said...

A1 John Edgar Hoover (always wondered what the J stood for)
A2 Marie Antoinette
A3 Ginger Rogers
A4 Alfred Hitchcock.
A5 The Rolling Stones ( Never were as good as The Beatles)


Did you watch the first part of the documentary :- Gods of Snooker on BBC2 last night. It is a 3 part documentary. Last night was mainly Alex “The Hurricane” Higgins. Next week is mainly about Steve “Interesting” Davies. At the end of this week’s program I heard him swear for the first time. It was the Black ball potted by Dennis Taylor that caused him to swear. I along with about 18 ½ million other viewers stay up until 01.30 on a Tuesday morning after a Bank Holiday Monday to see the end of the match.

Must have been a few tired people at work that Tuesday.

Freda said...

1 J Edgar Hoover
2 Marie Antoinette
3 Ginger Rogers
4 Alfred Hitchcock
5 The Rolling Stones

Debbi said...

Actually, Little D's name came from a real person, but the real person is nothing like the character.

I think all fiction is inspired by our experiences. Including people we've met or known somehow.

I don't really necessarily see them looking like anyone I know.

1. J. Edgar Hoover
2. Marie Antoinette
3. Ginger Rogers
4. Alfred Hitchcock
5. The Rolling Stones

Edith said...

1.Herbert Hoover
2 Maie Antoinette
3. Ginger Rodgers
4 Alfred Hitchcock
5. The Rolling Stones


Yes. She is related to Carlene carter as I remember. What a nice video you posted thank you.