Sunday 16 May 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th May, 2021

16th May, 2021.


Yes: it’s Sunday.

And frankly?

Yes: it means I’ve dug up the big pot, and started boil washing my tea towels.

Well, they need doing … !

~≈†≈~

You know, I’m half wishing I’d taken a screenshot!

Remember I had a scam text message, a couple of days ago?   One that — almost — drained all of the credit from my mobile phone.

Well, I had another one, last night.

From — apparently! — Hermes.

Yes, I wish I’d screen shot it: I’d half a mind showing it to you could be a good idea.

Still, telling you I had one seems a sensible idea!

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^, Edithª and Davidº putting in their answers: with Olga,Trevor, Debbi and David scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on two.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        16th May, 2005, saw the government of Kuwait allow women to what: vote, drive or own property?

Q2)        16th May, 1890, saw the birth of Edith Grace White: a noted ichthyologist.   Ichthyologists study what: cats, fish or tapeworms?

Q3)        The first Academy Awards took place: on 16th May, 1929.   This year’s awards, the 93rd, saw the Best Picture Award go to which film: Sound of Metal, The Father or Nomadland?

Q4)        16th May, 1905, saw the birth of actor, Henry Fonda.   He won his only Best Actor Oscar for which film … ?

Q5)        Finally … ?   16th May is the Feast day of Brendan the Navigator.   He’s the patron saint of what: thinkers, tailors, soldiers, sailors or spies?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        15th May saw the birth of musician, Brian Eno.   In which year of the 1940s?
A1)        1948.

Q2)        He played keyboards for which band: the Beatles, Roxy Music or Slade?
A2)        Roxy Music.

Q3)        He played on that band’s first hit single.   What was it called: Virginia Plain, Pyjamarama or Do The Strand?
A3)        Virginia Plain.   If you watch the video, you’ll see that Brian’s opposite Bryan Ferry: and has an unfortunate resemblance to Riff Raff … 

Q4)        Eno wrote the start up sounds for what: Macs, PCs or Android phones?
A4)        PCs.   With a certain amount of irony … ?   He wrote it on a Mac …

Q5)        Finally … ?   Eno’s credited with inventing what type of music: disco, ambient or kraut-rock?
A5)        Ambient.
Here’s a thought … 
“You know the bank I used to cry all the way to.   I bought it.”
Liberace, May 16, 1919 – February 4, 1987.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, he did, Olga: he loved it, and persuaded his UK publishers to keep using the artist, Josh Kirby, until the latter’s death in 2001.   What really annoyed Sir Terry?   Were Heyne, his original German publishers.   They managed to shove soup adverts into the German version of Pyramids.
He changed publishers as soon as he could!
I think I’m going to have to try and track both films down: I know both have got very good reputations!

†        Cheers, Trevor, I think I’ve managed to correct the scores.   Happy Birthday!


‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Oh, yes!   Oh, did I mention the Dr Who blu-rays I was ripping?   I don’t know if they’re on the US Amazon, but they’re on the UK branch: and lord, they’re expensive!   (I’ve just had a look at The Case of the Sulky Girl: ye GODS!)

ª        Oh, now there’s an old school power ballad, Edith!   Thanks!   (That’s got me thinking of Della Street, now: Perry Mason’s secretary!)


º        I think I’ve messaged you already, David: but the Strikethrough tag works in the main post … 



5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) vote

Q2) fish

Q3) Nomadland

Q4) On Golden Pond (at least they got there before he died. They don’t always manage that).

Q5) Sailors
Hermes now... You're a popular guy, for sure!

Freda said...

1 Drive
2 Fish
3 Nomadland
4 On Golden Pond
5 Sailors

Debbi said...

Delia Derbyshire and Perry Mason! What a combination. :)

1. vote
2. fish
3. Nomadland
4. On Golden Pond
5. sailors

Happy birthday, Trevor! :)

trev-v said...

A1 Vote
A2 Fish
A3 Nomadland
A4 On Golden Pond
A5 sailors


Many thanks to every one who wished me Happy Birthday on Facebook.

I have had Penny round for Lunch. I cooked a 3 course meal.

Starter :- Smoked Salmon with a small salad

Main Course :- Roast Guinea Fowl with Jersey Royal Potatoes with steamed Parsnip and carrots and at the last minute organic Spinach and a Chicken gravy.

Pudding :- Mixed Berries (Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries)

A Christmas blend of coffee


As a result of having Penny round I missed 3 soccer matches on the Telly.

Edith said...

1.Drive
2. Fish
3. The Sound of Metal
4. On Golden Pond
5. Sailors

Oh. I do that too sometimes. Perry Masson was such a good show. Did you know Barbra Hale's son Willam Katz was in some of the Perry Mason tv movies? He also played the title character in the show The Greatest American Hero. The song you posted by Hazel O'conner was very powerful. https://youtu.be/B4JCehDOy54 The Link is to the theme song for The Greatest American Hero.