Friday 14 May 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th May, 2021.

14th May, 2021.


Yes: I went to Romford, yesterday.

To sell on a box-set, if you’re curious.

In the rain … !


Which was fun.

That means, though … ?

I can do a little light shopping, today.

In the possible rain … 

~≈É≈~

One thing I know I stupidly did … ?

Was click a link.

I got a text message, yesterday: telling me I missed a delivery, and that I could click a link to talk to the driver.


It immediately ran this phone number: 0902 391 9072.

Which the information on my phone initially told me was in Lithuania.

That call ate half of my remaining credit: as I let the phone ring a few times, before realising everything I’d recently ordered had been delivered.

As you can imagine … ?   I’m mildly kicking myself.

I posted a screen shot to Instagram, to try and alert people to it.

And have reported it to the 7726 text messaging service that phone companies have set up to combat these things.

Here’s hoping that helps.

~≈Ë≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on two.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        14th May, 1969, saw the birth of actress, Cate Blanchett.   In which country: Australia, New Zealand or Canada … ?

Q2)        14th May, 1957, saw what rationing end in the UK: tea rationing, petrol rationing or banana rationing?

Q3)        Director, George Lucas, was born: on 14th May, 1944.   What was the name of his Oscar nominated, 1973 film: THX1138, American Graffiti or Star Wars?

Q4)        Singer-songwriter, David Byrne, was born on 14th May, 1952.   He’s best known as lead singer of which US band?

Q5)        Finally … ?   14th May is the feast of Saint Boniface of Tarsus.   Tarsus is in what’s now which country: Turkey, Estonia or Greece?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        13th May, 2018, saw the sad death of actress, Margot Kidder.   She first played Lois Lane in Superman: in which year of the 1970s?
A1)        1978.   (I don’t care who else gets hired for the role: Margot Kidder is still Lois Lane.)

Q2)        13th May, 1972, saw a gun battle start: a gun battle between the British Army, the Provisional IRA and the Ulster Volunteer Force.   In which British city: Aberdeen, Belfast or Coventry?
A2)        Belfast.

Q3)        13th May is the feast day of Saint Gerald of Villamagna.   He’s usually depicted with which fruit: apples, oranges or cherries?
A3)        Cherries.

Q4)        Mehmet Ali Hagca attempted to shoot the Pope: on 13th May, 1981.   Which Pope: John Paul 1st, John Paul 2nd or Benedict 16th?
A4)        John Paul 2nd.

Q5)        Finally … ?   13th May, 1931, saw the birth of which cult leader?
A5)        ‘Reverend’ Jim Jones.   (If he was a Reverend, I’m a New Yorker!)
Here’s a thought … 
“I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities, but I forgot what it was.”
David Byrne, born 14th May, 1952.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*       You’re not wrong there, Olga!   I can here my knee creaking doing that backward lunge!
You know, now you mention it?   Ballet dancers have a technique for when they have to pirouette, they have to make sure they stare at one spot for as long as possible.   (Apparently, it’s called spotting: I think I saw it mentioned on an old episode of Blue Peter — or How — many years ago.)


†        If it was, Trevor, there would’ve been OpenReach vans lurking around.   (Mum’s got gas works going on near where’s she’s living …)

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Possibly, Debbi: I always get the pulp stuck in my teeth!

ª        Ahhh!   You’re an angel for saying so, Edith!

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Australia
A2 petrol rationing
A3 American Graffiti
A4 Talking Heads
A5 Turkey

This morning loads of OpenReach and their sub-contractors vans and lorries by the paper shop. They had dug up the grass verge by the old age Pensioners bungalows just before the shop.


Freda said...

1 Australia
2 Petrol Rationing
3 Star Wars
4 ?
5 Turkey

Olga said...

Q1) Australia

Q2) Petrol

Q3) American Graffiti

Q4) Talking Heads

Q5) Turkey
Thanks for the tip, Paul! Yes, I've heard that, and it is impressive when you see them do it, but I've never managed to do it myself. Talking about ballet dancers, I follow some who share their fitness routines, and I remember doing one of their arm routines once (minus the grace, but the movements looked roughly the same), and it didn't seem as if you were hardly moving, but they did many repetitions in quick succession, and the next day moving my arms was a challenge, I can tell you that!
I saw your picture and message on Instagram. There is an expression here that says something like "you need to watch with four eyes" when they refer to being extremely careful, but however hard you try, it's very difficult to be on the lookout constantly (and in the end, it is very difficult to do anything if you have to mistrust every form of communication). Thanks for the warning. Take care. (Oh, and I've had the first dose of the vaccine. The next one, in a few weeks, in theory I should hear in the next three weeks).

Debbi said...

As long as the juice doesn't have pits, I'm good.

1. Australia
2. petrol rationing
3. American Graffiti
4. Talking Heads
5. Turkey

Edith said...

1. New Zealand
2. petrol rationing
3. American Graffiti.
4. The Talking Heads
5. Turkey

Thank you Paul for saying that.

Turning to your comment about Margot Kidder, that is so lovely.

She was one of the performers to voice Gia in Captain Planet and the Planeteers. Think I spelled the character's name correctly.