Saturday 15 May 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15-5-2021: Eno … 

15th May, 2021.


OK … 

When I made that introduction?   The weather was looking overcast.

Which was nice: I forgot to get bread and milk, yesterday.

Just minutes later … ?   When I added the rain to the video … ?

It was raining.

I think I’m going to get wet … 

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga,Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum and Edith on three.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        15th May saw the birth of musician, Brian Eno.   In which year of the 1940s?

Q2)        He played keyboards for which band: the Beatles, Roxy Music or Slade?

Q3)        He played on that band’s first hit single.   What was it called: Virginia Plain, Pyjamarama or Do The Strand?

Q4)        Eno wrote the start up sounds for what: Macs, PCs or Android phones?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Eno’s credit with inventing what type of music: disco, ambient or kraut-rock?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        14th May, 1969, saw the birth of actress, Cate Blanchett.   In which country: Australia, New Zealand or Canada … ?
A1)        Australian.

Q2)        14th May, 1957, saw what rationing end in the UK: tea rationing, petrol rationing or banana rationing?
A2)        Petrol rationing.

Q3)        Director, George Lucas, was born: on 14th May, 1944.   What was the name of his Oscar nominated, 1973 film: THX1138, American Graffiti or Star Wars?
A3)        American Graffiti.   (I’ve seen Star Wars: but not THX1138 or American Graffiti.   That’s possibly my loss.)

Q4)        Singer-songwriter, David Byrne, was born on 14th May, 1952.   He’s best known as lead singer of which US band?
A4)        Talking Heads. Quick! Run

Q5)        Finally … ?   14th May is the feast of Saint Boniface of Tarsus.   Tarsus is in what’s now which country: Turkey, Estonia or Greece?
A5)        Turkey.
Here’s a thought … 
“My new epitaph: ‘Co-wrote a couple of decent songs and went bald shamelessly.’”
Brian Eno.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Thought they might be around, somewhere, Trevor.

†        Hello, Mum!   It was Talking Heads: with the running video … ?


‡        I know what you mean, Olga: I can never twist my neck around, fast enough!
Arms, eh … ?   I bet they feel stiff, afterwards!   That was my legs after the fun runs!   They move … but it’s a challenge, all right!
Watch with four eyes … ?  That’s a lovely phrase, and very wise, given the circumstances.   And sort of appropriate, as I wear glasses.
Which reminds me, did you ever see the original cover for Terry Pratchett’s The Colour of Magic?   One of the main characters get’s called ‘Foureyes,’ for exactly that reason.   Unfortunately, the cover artist took things literally … … 



^        This is possibly where a tea strainer could be handy, Debbi!   Actually, if you ever have a bottle conditioned ale, one with yeast at the bottom of the bottle?   Tea strainers are handy, there, as well.

ª        I think I know the series you mean, Edith: it got something of an airing in the UK.   Apparently, the character was called Gaia: it’s an old name for the Earth.   And Margot Kidder replaced Whoopi Goldberg in the part!   (There’s another vague connection between the two.   Whoopi pops up as Guinan in Star Trek: The Next Generation.   Margot’s niece, Janet, crops up in Star Trek: Discovery!)

6 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1948

Q2) Roxy Music

Q3) Virginia Plain

Q4) PCs

Q5) Ambient
Thanks for sharing the cover. Sometimes cover artists get things quite wrong, and because with traditional publishing authors normally don't have much of a say... Although I suspect in Terry Pratchett's case, he probably thought it was funny.
I recommend both of Lucas's films. I have a copy of THX 1138, as I was very curious to watch it. Much more adult and not fairytalish at all, in comparison to Star Wars. It is pretty dark, and it has great actors.
American Graffiti is a completely different kettle of fish. It is nostalgic and vintage before it was fashionable, and if you enjoy American music, it's a treat. It's also funny because many actors who later became well-known appear in it, only very young (and, of course, Harrison Ford is very young as well). Cool cars too. I'm sure I managed to get a copy of the soundtrack, but I don't think I had any longer. It was probably a tape...
I hope you didn't get too wet. Here it rained first thing, but today it's sunny, at least so far.

trev-v said...

A1 1948 (1 day before me)
A2 Roxy Music
A3 Virginia Plain
A4 PCs
A5 ambient

I suggest recounting some of the answers. Good job you were not counting the votes recently.

Tomorrow I am LXXIII years old having been born on Whit-Sunday 1948.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday%27s_Child

When originally written “Gay” meant happy.



Freda said...

1 1941
2 Roxy Music
3 Virginia Plain
4 PC,S
5 Ambiant

Debbi said...

I can imagine they would be.

1. 1948
2. Roxy Music
3. Virginia Plain
4. PCs
5. ambient

Happy birthday, Trevor, if you're here or there. :)

Edith said...

1. 1947
2. Roxy music
3. Do The Strand
4. Macs
5. Ambient

Paul, that is a fun connection to know about.

Here is Della Reese. https://youtu.be/DTlW1OHNYVw

David said...

1. 1948
2. Roxy Music
3. Virginia Plain
4. PCs
5. (strike!)Ambient disco(strike!) Ambient

Why why why would they get rid of that?

Yours sincerely,

David J.