Saturday 22 May 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22-5-2021: Sir Arthur

22nd May, 2021.


Right … I’ve news … mixed, but mostly positive news.

I had a colonoscopy, yesterday, at Basildon Hospital.

Which was fun.

The good news?   Is that I have nothing more serious than piles and a couple of polyps* on my colon.

Which, I’m told, are something along the lines of warts: and something that would normally be removed, as they can turn cancerous.

Thankfully, the ones I have, haven’t.

Normally … ?

Mine would’ve been removed on the day.

But weren’t.

As the laxatives — gosh, they were fun! — I’d had on Thursday didn’t … um … clear everything … !

I’m going to have to repeat the process.

~≈💩≈~

Just as an extra thought about the colonoscopy?

I have to admit to being nervous about it, yesterday.

I was, after all, getting a camera put somewhere where cameras don’t usually go.

But thankfully?   I was given a sedative: “to help me relax.”

I couldn’t help but notice was Fentanyl: the drug that’s contributing much to the US opioid crisis.

I’ll happily admit, I’m trying not to worry about that.

But am definitely noticing the aftereffects of the stuff.

No wonder they tell you not to drive: they’re mild, as far as I can see.

But they’re not necessarily nice … 

~≈💊≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum and Edith on three.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        22nd May saw the birth of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.   In which year of the 1850s?

Q2)        He studied what, at the University of Edinburgh: physics, medicine or music?

Q3)        He first wrote about Holmes and Watson in which story: A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles or The Valley of Fear?

Q4)        Sir Arthur’s J. Habakuk Jephson’s Statement was about which famously abandoned ship?

Q5)        Finally?   Bob Hoskins, John Rhys Davies and Bruce Boxleitner have all played a Conan Doyle character: called Professor who?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        21st May, 1966, saw Henry Cooper lose to Muhammed Ali.   The match was at which football club’s ground: Tottenham’s, West Ham’s or Arsenal’s?
A1)        Arsenal’s.

Q2)        21st May is International Tea Day.   The shrub tea is made from has its origins, where: China, Arabia or South Africa?
A2)        China.

Q3)        Charles Lindbergh completed the world’s first solo, transatlantic flight: on 21st May, 1927.   When he landed at an airfield, where: London, Paris or New York?
A3)        Paris.   (He started the flight, in New York, the day before.)

Q4)        The first woman to complete a solo, transatlantic flight, did so on 21st May, 1932, when she landed in Northern Ireland.   Who was she?
A4)        Amelia Earhart.   (She landed outside the city of Londonderry: also known as Derry. The dispute over the city’s name is notorious.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   21st May, 2017, saw the last performance of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. That last show took place in the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.   In other words, in which US state: New York, Connecticut or Rhode Island?
A5)        New York.
Here’s a thought … 
“What can we know?   What are we all?   Poor silly half-brained things peering out at the infinite, with the aspirations of angels and the instincts of beasts.”
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
And an interview …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Cheers, Olga!   I’ve got to repeat the process, at some point: but thankfully, it’s not serious!   (Are you familiar with fentanyl?   Thus far, it’s the worst part of the procedure.)

†        Is Oldchurch still open, Trevor?   I’ve had all mine at Basildon: I’m thankful this one was JUST at the other end.   You’re not the first person to mention the one in the mouth is worse.
Now … what DID they give you as a sedative … ?

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        I know what you mean about fuzzy, Debbi: the sedative I got given hasn’t totally worn off, yet!   (I’ve got to repeat the process, in a couple of weeks time: but thankfully, it’s not as serious as it could be.)

ª        Cheers for saying that, Edith.   I’ve got to repeat it: but, thankfully, it’s nothing serious!   Oh, did you know the Eurovision Song Contest, tonight?   I couldn’t ever tell you what the UK’s entry’s like!   But the Russian entry for last year’s cancelled contest was fun!

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1859

Q2) Medicine

Q3) A Study in Scarlet

Q4) The Mary Celeste

Q5) Challenger
Good news, even with the repeat procedure. I've seen Fentanyl in patches used for people with pretty severe pain, but I haven't any personal experience of it (neither as a patient nor as a prescriber). I'm sure they have a lot of experience in their use, but different people can react very differently to medication. It shouldn't last too long. And I hope next time they can do everything needed. (If it's any consolation, I've had vaginal polyps removed without any anaesthetic once, and under general anaesthetic the second time, and I know which one I preferred, although all the waiting around and the restrictions later one are a pain. [The second time it was bigger and deeper, so that was why they decided to do it under anaesthetic. I'd moved as well, so it was a different gynaecologist and hospital]. There was no problem, just a random finding).

trev-v said...

A1 1859
A2 medicine
A3 A Study in Scarlet
A4 Mary Celeste
A5 George Edward Challenger

Oldchurch Hospital closed down when Queens Hospital Romford was opened a few hundred yards away. Oldchurch Hospital had originally been a Workhouse and was not fit to be a modern hospital. It was knocked down and most of the site became occupied by apartment blocks similar to the ones around you.

My procedure was done in the early 21st Century so not sure what drug was used. Got cup of tea and biscuit as I lay on a bed in the recovery ward. Penny drove us home in her car.

Freda said...

1 1859
2 Medicine
3 A Study in Scarlet
4 Marie Celeste
5 Challenger

Debbi said...

Great news! Not that I expected otherwise. :)

1. 1859
2. medicine
3. A Study in Scarlet
4. the Mary Celeste
5. Challenger

And an interview with the author! Wow!

Edith said...

1.1856
2. Medicine
3. A Study In Scarlet
4. Hesperus
5. Moriarty

The Russian entry is very interesting. I am sure they worked very hard. I never could get the rubbery leg move down.