Sunday 30 May 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30th May, 2021.

30th May, 2021.


Yes: it’s officially official.

I’ve been shopping.

“And … ?” I hear you ask … ?

Well, excitingly, I bought some red onions!

You know, now I see that written down … ?

It’s possibly not as exciting as I thought.

At any rate, I managed to make some goulash, last night.

I have to admit to kicking myself, though.

I managed to put a baked spud on … and then managed to cook some rice, as well.

D’Oh!


~≈fi≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Debbi‡, Mum^, and Edithª putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring ten out of ten, Olga, Trevor and Mum on nine and Edith on six.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Director, Zowie Bowie, was born on 30th May, 1971.   Zowie is better known as whom?

Q2)        The Gazette de France was first published on 30th May, 1631.   It was France’s first what: newspaper, cookbook or Bible

Q3)        Rafael Trujillo was assassinated on 30th May, 1961.   He’d been dictator of which Caribbean republic?

Q4)        Helen Sharman, the first Briton to be an astronaut, was born: on 30th May, 1963.   Helen’s a what: chemist, physicist or biologist?

Q5)        Finally … ?   30th May is the Day of the Canary Islands: a public holiday in the islands.   The chain is part of which European country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Wisconsin was admitted to the Union on 29th May.   Of which year of the 1840s?
A1)        1848.

Q2)        It joined on the same day — day, not year — as which New England state?
A2)        Rhode Island.

Q3)        Wisconsin was which state to join the Union: the 29th, 30th or 31st?
A3)        The 30th.

Q4)        What’s Wisconsin’s largest city: Lodi, Milwaukee or Niagara?
A4)        Milwaukee.   (Shock rocker, Alice Cooper, is an authority on the place.)

Q5)        Which side was Wisconsin on, during the American Civil War: Union or Confederate?
A5)        The North, or Union.

Q6)        Republican, Ron Johnson, and Democrat, Tammy Baldwin, are Wisconsin’s current what: Senators, Representatives or Governors?
A6)        US Senators.

Q7)        According to one report, Wisconsin produces most of the USA’s what: cheese, computers or cranberries?
A7)        Cheese.   (Given how this question’s gone down?   I’m going to have to reword it, before re-using it.)

Q8)        Wisconsin’s also known as the Badger State.   The badgers were early Winconsinite what: dairy farmers, miners or truckers?
A8)        Miners.

Q9)        The Milwaukee Bombers are Wisconsin’s only what: Ice Hockey Team, soccer team or Australian-rules Football team?
A9)        Australian-rules football team.

Q10)        Finally … ?   Zack Snyder is from Wisconsin. He’s a what: actor, director or singer?
A10)        Director.
Here’s a thought … 
“There is very little difference between men and women in space.”
Helen Sharman, 30th May, 1963.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        How did the fair go, Olgaº?   I hope it was fun!   (I think I’m going to have a good hard look at that cheese question!)

†        Yeah, I did hear about that, Trevorº: the forensics team had gone, by the time I got to the High Street.   Apparently, officers are investigating … (I think I’m going to have to re-word yesterday’s cheese question, Trevor: it’s turned out to be iffier than I thought it would be.)

‡        The music business is always worth looking at, Debbiº!   Did you ever hear anyone mentions brown M&Ms, ornamental brandy bowls … and nine trucks of sound kit?   Here … (I’m going to have to have a look at that cheese question, I really am.   Now … is there an Aussie Rules team in Maryland?)

^        Hello, Mumº!

ª        The original Minis were first released in 1959, Edithº: and retired in 2000.   Which is a shame: I liked them.   (Mum had one, when I was growing up.).  And that car chase from The Italian Job is up there with the ones in The Blues Brothers and The French Connections.




º        Just so everyone knows, the next ten question set’s on Tuesday.

8 comments:

trev-v said...

I am no longer answering questions in your quiz until you remark yesterday's quiz out of 9 good questions. This shows how wrong you are on question 7

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195764/top-10-us-states-for-cheese-production-2008/

I have been round a large Cheese factory in Oregon So knew Cheese was made in other states.

Nik Nak said...

Trevor, I HAVE re-worded the question: and have told everyone that — should I re-use it — I’d be reviewing it.

Yes: the link proves me wrong, and the question as written, wrong: and — if it’s OK with you? — will be using it as the basis for future versions of The question.

Olga said...

Q1) Duncan Jones (Oh, I didn’t realise he was David Bowie’s son. I watched Moon at the cinema and enjoyed it, and Source Code wasn’t bad either, although it is one of those films that you wonder if it would work it you watched it several times...)

Q2) Newspaper

Q3) Dominican Republic

Q4) A chemist

Q5) Spain

Thanks for asking, Paul. The fair went well. It was pretty busy (it was right in the middle of the high street, which they started closing to traffic when the lockdown started easing up last year, on weekends, to ensure people had enough space to walk without being too crowded, and they’ve decided to keep doing that. The fair used to be held there anyway, but with a special permit to cut the traffic for the day. (Mind you, bicycles and electric scooter still come and go, so it can be a bit trying at times).
There were some regular programmes that were done live at the radio stand (a sports programme, and they interviewed the local sports associations and clubs; a politics programma, where they interviewed some local politicians; and the Galician programme...), and Carla (the new editor, a lovely girl) and I took turns to interview all the associations attending. I had a big sample of people: a charity distributing food and helping children with homework, another visiting elderly people at home, a group that refurbishes old computers and then gives them to schools or other people who need them (you can donate your old computer to them as well), a group that taught all kinds of digital and multi-media skills, a games-role association, an association for the recovery of historic memory (mostly to do with the Spanish Civil War), a group of photographers... We were also selling T-shirts from the radio station (very cheap), and giving balloons with the logo of the radio to kids, and other promotional materials... It was all set by the time I got there, but I did help pack it all back again at the end of the day. So it was a pretty long day, and it was sunny and hot. Everybody seemed happy to be back, as it had been going on for years but not last year, of course.
Don’t annoy Trevor. He might come after you!

trev-v said...

Just to back up my answer to question 7.

https://www.purecranberry.com/faq/where-do-cranberries-grow-in-the-united-states

Freda said...

1 Duncan Jones
2 Newspaper
3 Dominican Republic
4 Chemist
5 Spain

Nik Nak said...

OK, cheers, Trevor … 

Debbi said...

I've been to the cheese factory in Oregon. In fact, I made a video that included footage from inside the visitors' area: https://youtu.be/17FauX4Fn18

1. Duncan Jones
2. newspaper
3. the Dominican Republic
4. chemist
5. Spain

And, as to the Australian rules question, the answer is apparently yes! https://www.meetup.com/Baltimore-Australian-Rules-Football/

Edith Reuwer said...

1. I don't know
2. Newspaper
3. Barbados
4. Chemist
5. France

Hello Paul, just so you know the song you posted was not available to me in my country. I appreciate you looking out for me on the internet.