Sunday, 8 January 2012

Dr Who Episode 7: A Good Man Goes To War.

(Originally posted on Nik Nak and Grub’s Who Peculiar on 4 June 2011 19:34:00)

*Spoilers*

Yes, I know that’s the USUAL spoilers warning I put up.

Mostly for Debbi and Sean’s benefit, I should add, here.

But also because I know that’s Grub’s busy tonight.

Because … ?

Because I’m going to sit here, quite frankly, and say something I usually wouldn’t.

Oh.

My.

Gods!

No, seriously … !

I’ve just come away bloody impressed.

Tonight’s episode of Dr Who — episode seven of this series, A Good Man Goes to War — sees the Doctor recruiting a very ad-hoc group of people — including Madame Vastra, a Silurian soldier stranded in Victorian Britain, and Commander Strax*, a Sontaran being punished for his battalion’s dishonour by being a nurse and Dorium, the black market trader seen in various episodes over the past few years — to rescue Amy and Baby Melody from the clutches of the villainous Madame Kovarian: the eyepatch wearing woman who’s been appearing in glimpses for the past six weeks.

Rory’s not left out, either.

His job … ?

Is to get the information on Amy and Melody’s whereabouts from — of all possible people — the Twelfth Cyber Legion.

Hell of an introduction to an episode, that was … !

»»•««

Actually … ? It’s a HELL of an episode … !

After the revelations, last week, that Amy is pregnant, all the way to this week’s big reveal — that Melody grows up to be River Song?

Actually …

I’ve got to admit, somehow wasn’t THAT surprising, in the end.

What WAS good, though … ?

Was the WAY this episode, and the big River Revelation, was done!

Now I don’t know what Grub will tell you, when he does post about tonight’s episode, but personally … ?

Personally, I loved it.

You see, the word I’m thinking here — or possibly name I’m thinking — is Banks.

As in Iain M. Banks … ?

Now that could well be the simple fact that Steven Moffat’s a Scotsman: and I’m picking up a common cultural theme.

None the less … ?

I happen to think it’s both there, and in the Virgin New Adventures.

And nothing but good for the show.

It’s produced both some fantastic lines, great little stories — mostly — and wrung some good performances out of the castª.

The big problem I do have, though … ?

Is that we have to wait until September to find out what happens next.

Frustrating, isn’t it … ?





* Strax got some of the best lines, I swear … ! “I can produce MAGNIFICENT quantities of lactic fluid!”. Not everyday you expect to hear THAT line from what is — lets be blunt — a bloke!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.