Friday, 20 January 2012

The Daily Teaser - 20-1-2012

I’ve got to admit, I couldn’t resist it.

Well, pleased uncle with a slightly daffy — and slightly cheeky — sense of humour, that I am, that shot of Jude, complete with a slice of toast.

Like I say … I couldn’t resist.

I’m ALSO thinking that’s going to be one of those shot’s that’s DEFINITELY being kept for a long time.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

BEFORE I start digging up some more photos*.

‹‹·››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi — all on her ownsome — putting in her answers.

And, along with bagging 6 out of 6, she ALSO managed to post up this piece about my favourite tech companyº.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here there, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 20th January, 1841, saw which island occupied by the UK … ?

Q2) 20th January, 1972, saw UK unemployment rise above what for the first time: 1 million, 2 million or 3 million … ?

Q3) 20th January, 1265, saw the first meeting of the English Parliament, in the Palace of Westminster: the House of Commons originally met in which part of the building?

Q4) 20th January, 1977, saw the inauguration of the 39th President of the USA: who was he … ?

Q5) And finally … 20th January, 1885, saw L. A. Carter patent which fairground attraction … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th January, 2038, will see some computer systems have a problem with the date: how is this known … ?
A1) The Year 2038 Problem: also known as the Unix Millennium Bug, Y2K38 or Y2.038K.

Q2) 19th January, 1977, saw President Gerald Ford pardon Iva Toguri D'Aquino: what was her nickname … ?
A2) Tokyo Rose.

Q3) More to the point, on what charges … ?
A3) Treason: she was a key figure in the broadcast of Japanese propaganda to the US, during WW2.

Q4) 19th January, 1953, saw 68% of US tv sets tuning into which show … ?
A4) I Love Lucy: (Lucille Ball gave birth that night.)

Q5) 19th January, 1986, saw the first what released into the wild … ?
A5) Computer virus.

Q6) And finally … 19th January, 1893, saw the Premiere of The Master Builder, in Berlin. Who wrote The Master Builder: Anton Chekov, Henrik Ibsen or Bertoldt Brecht?
A6) Henrik Ibsen.
Enjoy those, everyone: as it’s former 10cc member, Eric Stewart’s birthday, I’ll leave you with one of the tunes he wrote whilst with them …




























* Which would be completely inappropriate, considering that Kodak’s slowly going under

º I’ve got to admit, Debbi, David Pogue’s name caught my eye: along with talking a certain amount of sense, he’s the author of O’Reilly Presses’ Missing Manual range of Mac OS X books: if you ever DO get a Mac, his Missing Manual on the relevant version of the OS will be slab-like, extensive … and possibly the best written tech book you’ll ever read. (Personally, I tend to thank him for any technical knowledge I have: his Missing Manual on
Tiger
, Leopard and Snow Leopard have been the basis of it.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including the post. I thought you might get a kick out of it. :)

    David Pogue is an excellent tech writer, isn't he?

    I thought about being a tech writer back in the day, but times change and I'm a techno-idiot now. So, I write fiction, which I'd rather do, anyhow. :)

    1. Hong Kong
    2. 1 million
    3. St. Stephen's Chapel
    4. Jimmy Carter
    5. roller coaster

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.