Sunday 11 April 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11th April, 2021.

11th April, 2021.




It’s got to said, I’m grateful I had just enough money, yesterday, for a cab.

Frankly?   I’d done into town, earlier in the day, and picked up some shopping: and, when I got back home … ?

Realised I’d forgotten to pick up my diabetes medication.

I’m grateful I had enough cash for a cab: as I had an Amazon delivery that afternoon.

Doubly grateful.

Going up Warley Hill in a hurry is not exactly my idea of fun*!

~≈💊≈~

It’s Sunday morning: and, of course, I’ve got Radio Four on.

I wouldn’t call myself especially religious: but the more Anglican Sunday services can be quite soothing, first thing in the morning.

I have heard the news, though.

You’ll possibly know about the riots in various parts of Belfast.

Teenagers, mostly, encouraged by loyalists paramilitaries angry at a Brexit deal that leaves the region using trade rules that leave it with a better connection to the republic, than the UK.

According to today’s news?

It seems special forces troops are being sent in to the area, undercover, to help both police and MI5.

Given the very little I know of Northern Irish history?

I’ve a distinct feeling that’s a bad idea … 

~≈💀≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi, scoring five out of five, Mum on four, and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        The Stone of Scone was found at Arbroath Abbey: on 11th April, 1951.   It had been stolen from where: Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral or Saint Paul’s Cathedral?

Q2)        Apple’s Apple 1 computer was released: on 11th April, 1976.   What did Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs, have to sell, to finance the thing: his scientific calculator, his VW microbus or his phone phreaking kit?

Q3)        11th April, 1722, saw the birth of Christopher Smart.   He’s best remembered as a very obscure what: poet, chemist or dancer?

Q4)        Joel Gray was born on 11th April, 1932.   Who did he play in the 2003 Broadway version of Wicked?

Q5)        Finally … ?   11th April, 1854, saw the birth of cricketer, Hugh Massey.   He was part of the Australian side that the first what: Ashes, World Cup or the Australia Cup?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        10th April, 1929, saw the birth of actor, Max von Sydow.   Which country was he born in?
A1)        Sweden.

Q2)        He played Antonius Block in one of Ingmar Bergman’s best known films.   Which film: Crisis, The Seventh Seal or The Rite?
A2)        The Seventh Seal.   The scenes of Block player chess against Death are some of cinema’s best known, and most parodied.

Q3)        In his early days, von Sydow appeared in a version of Peer Gynt.   Who wrote Peer Gynt: Ibsen, Shakespeare or Chekov?
A3)        Henrik Ibsen.

Q4)        He played Father Merrin in which a 1973, William Friedkin directed, horror film.   Which 1973 film?
A4)        The Exorcist.

Q5)        Finally?   Which incredibly evil character did he play in Flash Gordon?
A5)        Ming the Merciless.
Here’s a thought …
“The best way to experience this car is to be about seven miles away.”
Jeremy Clarkson, born 11 April 1960.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        On her one visit to the UK?   Old Peculiar regular, Debbi Mack, told me Queens Road is nowhere near as steep as any given hill in San Franscisco.   Debbi, if you’re reading this bit?   Remind me to hire a Segway, if I go to ’Frisco!


†        Oh, tell me about it, Olga!   The phone situation is a mess!
And did I mention Ruth and me saw one of Gorman’s A Better World gigs?   Do NOT ask about the seal!   Yes, I knew about the Are You Dave Gorman? stuff: I think I’ve got the book, somewhere.   I also read his Dave Gorman’s Googlewhack Adventureº: which is great fun!   (As I recall?   He’s a qualified mathematician: and his first stand-up routines were maths based.)
The dice is great: although I think I’ll need a tea-tray for it.   It takes a while to slow down!   (There’s dozens more on Amazon and Ebay.   Ebay’s got three sided dice!   I’m tempted … !)

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        It wouldn’t surprise me about the Scouse mafia, Debbi: although I think it’s not quite the same thing!
You’re thinking of the Thieves Guild, Debbi.   They’ve got pension plans!   And hand out receipts.   It makes it easier for the victim to claim on the insurance.   Oh, there’s also a separate Assassins Guild: the guild school’s got a very good reputation.   Then there’s the Seamstresses Guild.   Well, they call themselves seamstresses!
The one you REALLY want to avoid — this’ll make you laugh — is the Guild of Lawyers.   It’s leader, Mr Slant, is a three hundred and fifty year old zombie.   No, really!   (He stayed alive, after his beheading, to make sure his finances were sorted out.)


ª        He does knock out a good one, Edith, doesn’t he?   Oooh!   He does his own range of bio-diesel!   I’m mildly impressed.   (I worked in Brentwood’s branch of KFC, a few years ago: we sold on our used chip oil to a bio-diesel company: it’s green, and it offset costs.   And tipping it down the drain’s not a good idea.)

º        You feed two words into Google, Olga.   If you get one result?   Just one?   That’s a Googlewhack.   The book’s about how Dave decided to play the game: by Googlewhacking a couple of random words, meeting the person he found as a result.   Then getting them to Googlewhack two more words.   I seem to recall he ended up meeting a happily married Dutch lesbian couple in Australia, at one point!

6 comments:

Nik Nak said...

That’s a thought, Edith: Trevor’s on Facebook, and just mentioned birdsong.

I’ll have to see if there‘s any when I go out … 

Olga said...

Q1) Westminster Abbey

Q2) His VW microbus (to be fair, they reamin very popular and nowadays they sometimes fetch quite a good price. I mean the minibus, although I suspect the Apple I probably does, as well.)

Q3) Poet (but his name was Christopher Smart. I assume that’s the person we’re talking about).

Q4) The Wizard of Oz (I will always think of him as MC of the movie Cabaret, although I’ve seen him in quite a lot of other things)

Q5) Ashes, although it seems it wasn’t the first one but rather the first one that got talked about (or at least Wikipedia says the first one was in 1877 and that one was in 1882, not that Wikipedia is very reliable). You forgot to include “won” in the question, but it was the only thing that made sense...
I’d never heard of a Googlewhack before, but I’m even more intrigued about Dave Gorman. Must check some of his books as well. And I’ll investigate the die/dice...

Freda said...

1 Westminster Abbey
2 Phone breaking kit
3 Chemist
4 ?
5 Ashes

Debbi said...

I have about a million more books to read and Terry Pratchett's entire bibliography is among them. :)

Ack! :)

1. Westminster Abbey
2. his VW microbus (that's a heck of a sacrifice there, selling your transportation)
3. poet
4. the Wizard of Oz
5. Ashes

Of course, I got around on buses for years. Not easily or quickly, but I was able to go places. :)

Debbi said...

Now here's a street in San Francisco that'll give you pause. :)

https://youtu.be/NwrpA-vIEBM

I even see pedestrians! :)

Edith said...

1.Westminster Abbey
2. VW Microbus
3. Chemist
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. world Cup.

That was a lovely song you posted. It got me all choked up.

I'll go look up Trevor. I am also on Facebook but only stop by my page 2 a week at the most.