Friday 2 April 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2-4-2021: Good Friday

2nd April, 2021: Good Friday.


Yep: I’m officially avoiding buns.

Sweet ones: you know, sugared/caramel/chocolate covered buns.

Especially ones of an Eastery nature.

It’s the Diabetes: I can’t have ’em!

Quite what I’m supposed to do with the fridge of chocolate bars, I couldn’t tell you!

~≈🍫≈~

I don’t know about you: but I do the every occasional survey.

Very occasional: and mostly in the hope of a reward/

The two main ones I’m doing?

One pays out Amazon vouchers: fairly frequently.

The other, after I’ve built up five thousand points.

I did one of the latter ones, this morning.

Frankly?   I think at least ONE question was a heavily disguised advert!


~≈🦖≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Edith^ and Debbiª, putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on three and Edith on one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        In the UK, 2nd April, 2021, is Good Friday.   It’s part of which Christian feast: Easter, Christmas or Pentecost?

Q2)        The day marks Jesus’ what: birth or death?

Q3)        In the UK, you’re supposed to eat what: fish, hot cross buns or pancakes?

Q4)        True or false: In the UK, Good Friday is a bank holiday?

Q5)        Finally … ? 2014 saw the UK’s first Good Friday what: American Football, horse racing or snooker?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        1st April saw the birth of science fiction writer, Anne McCaffrey.   In which year of the 1920s?
A1)        1926.

Q2)        She moved to which country, in 1970: Ireland, the UK or France?
A2)        Ireland.   (If I recall?   She’s moved, in part, because Harry Harrison had suggested it: he’d moved, a year or two earlier, and found the tax perks very helpful.)

Q3)        Her first novel was called Restoree: published in which year of the 1960s?
A3)        1967.

Q4)        The heroes of her Pern novels? Ride what: horses, bikes or dragons?
A4)        Dragons. Yes, dragons: genetically engineered from much smaller Pernese creatures called fire-lizards.   (Ramoth, Bendan’s biggest queen dragon?   Is one of THE characters!)

Q5)        Finally … ?   1982 saw Anne publish The Crystal … what?
A5)        The Crystal Singer.
Here’s a thought … 
“It’s Good Friday.   Have a Bloody Mary.”
Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins), The Long Good Friday.
And a traditional hymn …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I’d imagine they’re doing a lot of Zoom streaming, Olga: that’s what a lot UK theatres are doing.
And I will: there’s a bench that’s — metaphorically — got my name on it.

†        No you mention it, Trevor, I think you have.   Now … where DID Scunthorpe get that nickname?   They weren’t trying to hold back waves, were they … ?

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Didn’t Perry do a good one, Edith?   I’ll have to mention it to an old friend: Karl was always singing it!   Now I think of it, Edith, have you heard of Val Doonican?   He might appeal to you … 


ª         You missed out on Anne McCaffrey, Debbi?   Shame on you!   :D   I’ll be honest, I devoured quite a bit of her Pern novels, way back when.   Robintonº, and Lessa, are some of the SF characters.   And she was the first woman to bag a Hugo, and a Nebula.   

º        I always felt MasterHarper Robinton looked vaguely like Patrick McGoohan.   But … ?   I found this image, recently: the artist nails him … 

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Easter

Q2) Death

Q3) Hot cross buns

Q4) True

Q5) Horse racing
They did do a fair amount of online theatre, but now there is live theatre, although with reduced numbers of spectators, temperature controls, masks... I have prebooked a ticket for a play that should be coming at some point after summer. What they are doing now is to give you an option to book at your convenience and change if necessary (not the same group, but Dagoll Dagom, a company that has been working here for many years, mostly their own original musicals).
We're off to see my cousin and his daughter today. They don't live very far off, but it's outside of Barcelona and a little bit of a change. I'm afraid it's as good as it's going to get for the time being.

trev-v said...

A1 Easter
A2 death
A3 hot cross buns
A4 True
A5 horse racing

Nobody knows where the nickname came from but I found this in a great war forum.

“Not many people know this...but,
During the Great War, our revered neighbours, Scunthorpe United F.C., were at the time in their formative years and still more than forty away from entry to the football league. They were referred to (with affection i'm sure) In the Grimsby News as 'The Knuts'.
Since entry to the football league the 'K' has been dropped.
Sorry Chris, couldn't resist it
Steve. “

At that time Grimsby Town were in the top league of English soccer and Scunthorpe United were in one of the non league leagues- The Midland League I think.

Freda said...

1 Ester
2 DEATH
3 Fish
4 True
5 Horse racing

Edith said...

1. Easter
2. death
3. Fish
4. True
5. American football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ZxnMG3k5k&list=RDs9ZxnMG3k5k&start_radio=1

Debbi said...

I can always count on you to educate me on all manner of books I haven't read. Not to mention lots of history. :)

1. Easter
2. death
3. hot cross buns
4. true
5. horse racing

Not to mention your music video selections! :)