Saturday 24 April 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24-4-2021: Barbra

24th April, 2021.



Right … 

I’ve been shopping: and may need to do more.

As I’ve not managed to pick up bits of my goulash recipe.


Although I might just make a beef stew, instead.


There’s slightly less ingredients.

I pick up Nectar points, either way.

Just possibly not a haircut … !

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        24th April, 1942, saw the birth of singer, Barbra Streisand.   In which of New York’s boroughs?

Q2)        Her first album was The Barbra Streisand Album.   The album was released in which year of the 1960s?

Q3)        She won a joint Best Actress Oscar, in 1968: for her role in Funny Girl.   Who was the other actress to win, that year: Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe?

Q4)        Her first UK hit, Second Hand Rose, reached №14. In which year of the 1960s: 1964, 1965 or 1966?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Barbra suffers from what: stage fright, alopecia or jaundice?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Spanish is one of six official UN languages.   Name one of the other five.
A1)        Arabic, Chinese, English, French or Russian.

Q2)        Spanish is what kind of language: Romance, Germanic or Celtic?
A2)        A Romance language.

Q3)        Modern standard Spanish is is descended from what: Catalan, Castilian or Aranese?
A3)        Castilian.

Q4)        Spanish is not an official language, where: Brazil, Cuba or the Dominican Republic?
A4)        Brazil: the official language is Portuguese.

Q5)        Finally … ?   UN Spanish Language Day was originally marked on the 12th of what: October, November or December?
A5)        October.   (Which explains this … )
Here’s a thought … 
“My ego is responsible for my doing what I do — bad or good.”
Barbra Streisand.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Thanking you, Olga: I hope Saint George’s day went well, for you!   Remind me to find someone to give a book to, next year!   I’m equally glad the UN made the change: I can start looking at an alternating days, on the 23rd.   Barcelona sounds like it’s got things sorted, on that front!   It’s a shame, World Book Night’s stopped giving books for people to hand out: I used to love guerrilla gift giving!
We’ll have to see about Ebay: CeX Romford doesn’t pay as well: but DOES make for a morning out.   (I think the books you’d be getting good prices might well be out of print.   Remind me to tell you about a collectible card game called Magic: The Gathering.   Some of the out of print cards would pay Jude’s college fees!)


†        Hello, Mum!

‡        Yes, we’re possibly going to have explain that one to Debbi, Trevor!   And I believe the UN calls it English … with Oxford spelling … 
(Oh … Ronnie’s out: and Neil Robertson’s still in, as far as I can tell.   Obviously, it’s a triumph of hair over talent.   Oh, and Barry Hearn’s retiring …)

^        It can’t be any more complicated than the off-side rule, Debbi!

ª        I know what you mean, I think, Edith.   I’m always hitting keys unintentionally.   And I always do capital T’s and A’s where they’re not needed!   And Lancashire, in the UK: although I think he now lives in the US.   Oh, I thought you might like this … 

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Brooklyn

Q2) 1963

Q3) Katharine Hepburn (I never realised it was Katharine rather than Katherine, but it seems it is so. I’m always puzzled by the many ways you can spell some names in English. Joan, Jane, Jean... My mind boggles!)

Q4) 1965

Q5) Stage fright
Yes, I will remind you next year. You must tell me about the card game. I love TV programmes about pawnshops, antiques, and old stuff in general, and it's amazing the prices some things can fetch, especially when they are rare, although it varies very much (I remember people being disappointed that an old Roman jewel might be worth little more than the gold is made of, although it is centuries old, while a collectible card or a comic can be worth an incredible amount of money [or perhaps not worth it, but people are prepared to pay that price for it]).

trev-v said...

A1 Brooklyn
A2 1963
A3 Katherine Hepburn and it was 1969 Oscars
A4 1965
A5 Stage Fright

To most North American this is the offside rule.

https://www.sonicsrising.com/seattle-sin-bin/2017/12/29/16830632/seattle-nhl-offside

The difficult rule is “Icing”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_(ice_hockey)

I remember sitting with a female Canadian friend at a Vancouver Whitecaps soccer match and her asking me where the blue lines for offside where. I spent some time whilst watching the match explaining the soccer offside rule to her. Good job they were not using VAR back then.

Freda said...

1 Brooklyn

2 1963
3 Katherine Hepburn
4 1965
5 Stage Fright

Debbi said...

Yes, I suppose every sport had its weird rules here and there.

What do I need explained? A lot, probably. :)

1. Brooklyn
2. 1963
3. Katharine Hepburn
4. 1965
5. stage fright

Edith said...
































1. the Bronx
2. 1965
3. Katherine Hepburn
4. 1966
5. Stagefright

Thank you for reminding me of that beautiful duet.