Sunday 25 April 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25-4-2021: Ella.

25th April, 2021.


Did I mention I went shopping, yesterday?

I went shopping, yesterday.

Just in case you hadn’t noticed.

I managed to pick up enough bits and bobs to make myself a goulash.

Which I manage to have, watching the Higgins-Williams match, last night.

Mark Williams won, by the way: 13-7.

At any rate … ?

Wandering around town … saw me totally forget to get the hair done.

You watch: I’ll be complaining about that for weeks … 

~≈💈≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga, Debbi and Mum scoring five out of five, and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        25th April saw the birth of Ella Fitzgerald: in which year?

Q2)        She was known as the First Lady of what?

Q3)        Ella was also known as the Queen of what: Jazz, Jive or Jump?

Q4)        From the age of fifteen, she lived with her aunt.   In which US city: New York, New Orleans or Newport Pagnall?

Q5)        She played in the Savoy Ballroom.   The Ballroom is where: Harlem, East Harlem or the Upper West Side?

Q6)        Ella signed with her first record label: in 1935.   Which label: Decca, HMV or Chess?

Q7)        1956 saw Ella signing with which label: Elektra, Verve or Virgin?

Q8)        1936 saw Ella record a version of My Melancholy Baby with Teddy Wilson.   Teddy played what: the piano, bagpipes or trumpet?

Q9)        Ella released The Muffin Man in 1941.   A muffin is a type of what: cake, sandwich or potato?

Q10)        Finally … ?   1945 saw Ella recording a version of Flying Home.   The song saw her do what: rap, scat or chant?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        24th April, 1942, saw the birth of singer, Barbra Streisand.   In which of New York’s boroughs?
A1)        Brooklyn.

Q2)        Her first album was The Barbra Streisand Album.   The album was released in which year of the 1960s?
A2)        1963.

Q3)        She won a joint Best Actress Oscar, in 1969: for her role in Funny Girl.   Who was the other actress to win, that year: Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe?
A3)        Katharine Hepburn.   It’s the only time there’s been a tie

Q4)        Her first UK hit, Second Hand Rose, reached №14.   In which year of the 1960s: 1964, 1965 or 1966?
A4)        1965.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Barbra suffers from what: stage fright, alopecia or jaundice?
A5)        Stage fright.
Here’s a thought … 
“I sing with my eyes closed, and my whole mind is concentrated on what I want to do.   Any little noise can throw me.”
Ella Fitzgerald.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        It’s Katharine, Olga?   Oh, boy … !   I’m really going to have to edit the database!   And I have to admit, Antiques Roadshow-style programmes can bye interesting to watch: although I’ve not seen one for ages.
As for Magic: The Gathering?   Where do I start?   Basically, it’s a two player game: players are supposed to be battling wizards.   You have lands — which give you mana, different colours of magical energy — and you can use that energy to cast spells and summon creatures.   Oh, you’ve got 20 ‘life points.’   You win if you can make the other guy run out of points, or cards.
The key thing is?   When you buy a pack of the cards, you don’t get the same ones per deck: half the challenge of the game is building a deck that works better than the other chaps!
It’s a bit like Great British Bake Off, combined with chess.   Both of you have to make a Victoria Sponge, neither of you’s got the same ingredients … and you have to build the board … 
If that makes sense … ?
(Just looked up a favourite card on Ebay: ye GODS!)

†        Sounds like it’s not just football’s got offside issues, Trevor!   And hasn’t VAR caused it’s own problems?

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Just don’t get Trevor start on offside, Debbi!   (There’s supposed to be two opposing soccer players between you and the goal, if I’ve got it right.   Mornington Crescent’s a LOT easier!)



ª        My pleasure, Edith: I’m glad I could help!   Ohhh, did you know Dolly Parton played the Glastonbury Festival a few years ago … ?   It was quite a gig!   Especially when the audience started singing along with Jolene!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1917

Q2) Song

Q3) Jazz

Q4) New York

Q5) Harlem

Q6) Decca

Q7) Verve Records

Q8) The piano

Q9) Ella released The Muffin Man in 1941. A muffin is a type of what: cake, sandwich or potato? I started with cake, and after writing a very long note, I’ve decided to change it to sandwich, but it was interesting (well, here I’m not sure what you’re after, because the song is a British nursery rhyme and the muffin it refers to is the English muffin, but it is not a sandwich either, unless you meant only the bread... Anyway, it’s definitely not a potato, and our American friends usually think of sweet versions, like a small cake, but of course, breadcakes are also a thing in the UK, so go figure! Have you ever tried to count how many different words are used to talk about bread in English, and in different regions? I remember being confused when people ordered cobs for lunch, while I was doing a locum in Nottingham, until I realised it was a sandwich using a particular type of bread roll. And now I think the answer is sandwich, eventually. But...).

Q10) Scat
I think I get what the game must be like. It sounds very involved. I'm not sure I'd have the patience now, but I would have loved it when I was younger, for sure.
Oh, names... I only discovered Judi Dench was written Judi and not Judy very recently. It's never too late to learn something new.

Freda said...

1 1917
2 Song
3 Jazz
4 New York
5 Harlem
6 Decca
7 Electra,
8 Piano I do enjoy Ella Fitzgerald's singing, one of my favourite jazz singers.
9 Cake
10 Scat

Debbi said...

I won't get Trevor started. That would be wrong. :)

1. 1917
2. Song
3. Jazz
4. New York
5. Harlem
6. Decca
7. Verve
8. the piano
9. cake
10. scat

I made it! :)

Edith said...

1.1917
2. Song
3.Jazz
4. New York
5. Harlem
6. Decca
7. Verve
8. Trumpet
9. cake
10. Scat


I had heard that Dolly Parton had performed there, but that is the first time I have seen footage of it. Thank you for posting it.

Here is an artist I like. https://youtu.be/dKgh73v4mVc