Friday 9 April 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9th April, 2021.

9th April, 2021.




It’s officially the case … that I’m thinking about watching a movie, tonight.

Thinking about it!

I might not: I might just end up reading a book, again.

Frankly, The Lathe of Heaven is coming to a climax: and Johnny Alpha’s JUST made sure the incredibly evil Sadan The Demon Maker can no longer cause problems!

It’s amazing what you can do with a second hand, lead lined, nuclear fall out shelter.



~≈Ê≈~

Did I mention I had a phone call, yesterday?

I shouldn’t’ve done: as I actually had two.

One from my new Job Centre case worker.

Which went well, although she wanted to put me on a Work and Health scheme, similar to the one I’m already on.

I think my previous case worker should maybe have added that to my notes!

The other call?   Was from O2: my mobile phone provider.

To be frank?   I was angling for more compensation: given that the local mobile phone mast is STILL not up.

I had no luck.

O2 are taking the line that they’ve taken every step they can to restore normal service.

And that they can do no more, until Brentwood Council approves their planning applications.

Hmmm … 

~≈Ê≈~

Just as a final thought?

I’ve just heard on the Today programme, that Laurie Anderson’s to re-release her seminal Big Science LP.

Cue the music … !


~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡, Edith^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga, Debbi and Mum scoring five out of five, and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        9th April is the feast day of Saint Waltrude: the patron saint of Mons.   Mons is in which European country: France, Belgium or the Netherlands?

Q2)        Racing car driver, Jacques Villeneuve, was born: on 9th April, 1971.   Which country is he from: Canada, the USA or France?

Q3)        Who was crowned as King of England, on 9th April, 1413: Henry 5th, Edward 8th or Charles 9th?

Q4)        Hugh Hefner was born on 9th April, 1926.   Which magazine did he found: Time, Playboy or White Dwarf?

Q5)        Nazi collaborator, Vidkun Quisling, seized power: on 9th April, 1940.   In which country: Sweden, Denmark or Norway?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        8th April is International Romani Day.   Romani are supposed to have their origins, where: China, India or Egypt?
A1)        India.

Q2)        8th April, 1938, saw the birth of Kofi Annan.   He was Secretary General of which international organisation: the EU, UN or the IMF?
A2)        The United Nations, or UN.

Q3)        8th April, 1918, saw the birth of Betty Ford: wife of Gerald Ford and 40th First Lady of the United States.   Her Betty Ford Center dealt with what: addiction, cancer or HIV/AIDS?
A3)        Addiction.

Q4)        British designer, Vivienne Westwood, would born on 8th April, 1941.   She got her start in the industry making clothes for a shop run by who: Joe Meek, Malcolm McLaren or Simon Cowell?
A4)        Malcolm McLaren.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The small Californian town of Carmel elected its new mayor: on 8th April, 1986.   Who was he: Ronald Reagan, Rock Hudson or Clint Eastwood?
A5)        Clint Eastwood.
Here’s a thought … 
“I think everyone should get married.   I just took a little longer than usual.”
Hugh Hefner, April 9, 1926 – September 27, 2017.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Galicia’s Celtic, Olga?   I’m tempted to ask it there’s a Galician equivalent to tartan, but I’ll forbear!   Either way, it’s interesting to hear.
Blackberries?   You’d’ve got on with my Aunty Bella, I think: she always had wild blackberries in the back garden.   And made her own jam.   I miss that garden, I really do: she’d get foxes, and hedgehogs, on top of the blackberries!

†        Hello, Mum!   (I had a look at some of the Sharks: some of the Dyson are cheaper!   I got a Russell Hobbes, instead!)

‡        Hmmm … I always got the impression that what made commons, common, is that they were for common use, Trevor: I THINK you can still gather firewood on Shenfield Common, but don’t quote me!   I think bluebells have a lot of protections, as well: but, again, don’t quote me!

^        Glad to hear I’m able to help, Edith!   Oh, did you listen to Oh Superman, when I put it at the start of the post?   I bought that, and Jonah Lewie’s Stop the Cavalry when I was a teenager: they’re still two of my favourite records.


ª        It’s amazing what you find out in pubs, Debbi!   (It’s possibly changed since I was behind a bar.   But it used to be that you were allowed more head — on a beer! — in Northern England than you were in the south!)

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Belgium

Q2) Canada

Q3) Henry 5th

Q4) Playboy

Q5) Norway
No tartan equivalent I've come across, but who knows? I did have wild blackberries growing in my garden in Penistone as well. I'm sure I'd get on with your aunt! I hope O2 come up with something better. Take care.

trev-v said...

A1 Belgium
A2 Canada
A3 Henry 5th
A4 Playboy
A5 Norway

There are 2 types of Bluebells. The English Bluebell and the Spanish Bluebell. The Spanish Bluebell was introduced by the Victorians as a Garden plant. Early in the twentieth Century it jumped over the garden wall and escaped in to the woods. So now we have 2 types of Bluebells in our woods and gardens.

The main difference between the 2 is that the English Bluebell only has flowers on one side of the stem and so droops. The Spanish Bluebell has flowers on all sides of the stem and stands upright.

I have Bluebells in both my front and back gardens. The ones in the front are just under the kitchen window and are in a slight sun trap and so they flower earlier. They are starting to flower at the moment.

Freda said...

1 Belgium
2 Canada
3 Henry 5th
4 Playboy
5 Denmark

Debbi said...

I seem to recall a mention of that from something I saw recently on TV.

Speaking of British-related TV, we've just started watching a show on AMC+ that takes place in England called "Gangs of London". They're not kidding about the graphic violence part. :)

1. Belgium
2. Canada
3. Henry V
4. Playboy
5. Norway

Esith said...

1.The Netherlands
2. Canada
3. Henry 5th
4. Playboy
5. Norway

I had never heard of the second one. Both are interesting and I see why you like them. Stop the Calvery tugs at my heart. There is something so simple, gentle, and powerful about that song.