Wednesday 7 April 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 7-4-2021: Life on Mars.

7th April, 2021.




Yes: I’m going to be doing stuff!

No, really!   I managed to see the first episode of For All Mankind’s second series, last night: a rather exciting episode involving a solar flare.

That, and the video, will be live, later.

I’ve also got to give Basildon Hospital a ring, as I’m having a phone appointment, next week.   I want to make sure they have the right number.

All that … ?

And I’ll confess to feeling rather pleased.

Last night’s home made beef stew went down rather well.

I think I’m getting the hang of parsnips … 

~≈🥘≈~

I THINK blogging’s having an effect on me!

I’ve seen this piece on the BBC’s news site: a piece that tells us dozens have been fined over what the article calls — with pointed quote marks  — ‘illegal mushroom picking.’

The way my mind works?

I’m wondering if the people fined were fined for picking mushrooms illegally, or picking illegal mushrooms!

Who knows!

~≈🍄≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ andEdithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on three and Edith on one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        7th April, 2001, saw the launch of the Mars Odyssey probe.   By which space agency: the ESA, NASA or JAXA? 

Q2)        Mars is the fourth planet from the sun.   What’s the fifth?

Q3)        The probe shares its name an epic Greek poem.   One written by whom: Homer, Sappho or Simonides?

Q4)        The probe’s name was inspired by the work of which science fiction writer: Arthur C. Clark, Isaac Asimov or Robert Heinlein?

Q5)        Finally … ?   2002 saw the probe detecting large amounts of what: hydrogen, helium or nitrogen?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Who was arrested in the Cadogan Hotel, on 6th April, 1895: Oscar Wilde, Bram Stoker or or H. Rider Haggard … ?
A1)        Oscar Wilde.

Q2)        6th April, 1483, saw the birth of which artist: Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael or Michelangelo?
A2)        Raphael.

Q3)        6th April, 1520, saw the death of which artist: Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael or Michelangelo?
A3)        It’s him, again: Raphael.

Q4)        James Watson — one of the discovers of DNA — was born on 6th April, 1928.   In which North American country?
A4)        The USA.

Q5)        Finally … ? Pioneer 11 was launched on 6th April, 1973.   What was it initially supposed to study: Venus, the Asteroid belt or Pluto?
A5)        The Asteroid Belt.
Here’s a thought … 
“2001 Mars Odyssey, U.S. spacecraft that studied Mars from orbit and served as a communication relay for the Mars Exploration Rovers and Phoenix.”
From the Britannica entry on the probe.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Yep: Jimmy’s out, Trevor.   Frankly?   I’m hoping he gets that tour card, fast, I’d love to see him in a tournament, again.
I do know I’d not be able to pull off the insulation thing, myself.   I’m renting: so my landlords would have to arrange it.

†        Personally, I’ve always enjoyed blogging, Olga: you possibly hadn’t noticed!   At ANY rate … ?   Good luck whatever you pick!
Are you using a WordPress variant?   If it’s ANY help, you should be able to download it, then re-import it to Blogger, or another free site.   I’m not sure if you can upload it to LiveJournal or Wix.
Oh, JUST as a thought, Olga?   You’ll have a mild advantage on the 23rd … !

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Hmmm … I think Murder at the Match sounds better than Murder at the Snooker Match, Debbi.   Adding the ‘snooker,’ spoils the alliteration, I think.   Snookered to Death sounds good, though.   The term, ‘snookered,’ means you play a shot in a way that your opponent has no way of potting a ball: or commits a foul.   I can JUST see a villain snookering someone to death … whilst looking totally innocent … 

ª        It’s. OK, Edith: I recognised your writing style!   And, yes, I think it’s bagpipes.   I don’t know if it’s Scottish ones, though: there’s a few different types.   Kathryn Tickell plays the Northumbrian pipes, for example.   And In Extremo use all sorts!   Kathryn’s parents are from the Northwest coast of England, the same sort of area as Sting from The Police: in case you wondered about her accent.   I don’t know much about In Extremo: apart from the fact they play heavy metal version of Medieval German folk songs.   They’re not usually my thing: but they seem to do well!   (I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, Edith: and hope you caregiver recovers quickly!)


5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 NASA
A2 Jupiter
A3 Homer
A4 Arthur C. Clark
A5 Hydrogen

When Anita and I lived in Redhill, we lived in a third floor south facing flat. We got plenty of free heat from the sun and from the flat below me. The occupant of that flat was Sir Walter Verco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Verco

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1326996/Sir-Walter-Verco.htm

Olga said...

Q1) NASA

Q2) Jupiter

Q3) Homer

Q4) Arthur C. Clarke

Q5) Hydrogen
Yes, I do use Wordpress, although Wordpress.org rather than Wordpress.com. My thoughts were to keep my free site on Wordpress.com, that it's still alive, and at least that would save me some money. I know you also had issues with Blogger, so there's no ideal system. I'm not really that bothered (I've never been concerned about number of followers or anything like that, and I only started blogging to try to sell books, and I gave up on that a long time ago. Now I mostly use it to share reviews, and I enjoy reading other people's blogs, but the headache is too much, and I'm tired of spending so much time in front of a computer). I prefer direct contact with people if it is possible, and I've never enjoyed being the centre of attention, so all these things aren't too natural for me. We'll see.
Your question about the mushrooms is interesting. Here it seems that many of the foraging activities are now not allowed (even picking up camomile, which we used to do around my father's village and grows wild, now it's not allowed, and pine nuts... Well, it depends on where you are, as it's likely that the pine trees belong to somebody, and they exploit them commercially.

Debbi said...

Uh oh. I may have more snooker questions for you in the future. I'll have to think on it.

It's either going to be a short story with murder and snooker or murder and duckpin bowling. That's kind of a dying sport here. :)

1. NASA
2. Jupiter
3. Homer
4. Arthur C. Clark
5. hydrogen

Ooh! How about duckpin bowling AND snooker? Maybe throw in darts? :) (No pun intended. Really!)

Edith said...

1.NASA
2. Venus
3. Homer
4. Arthur C. Clarke
5.Nitrogen

I didn't realize that there are so many types of bagpipes. I learn so much from you.

I have been resting and am feeling better. I think the caregiving agency will call as soon as they get the results, even if it is after office hours.

Nik Nak said...

Mum left her answers, here … 

1 NASA
2 Jupiter
3 Homer
4 Asimov
5 Hydrogen