Friday 23 April 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-4-2021: UN Spanish Language Day

23rd April, 2021.


Yes: it’s payday.

Which means?   Lots of things: as you’d expect.

Mostly?   Mostly, shopping, bill paying and stuff!

But possibly also involving a haircut: if there’s a barber’s with no queue … 

~≈💈≈~

I mentioned, yesterday, that I’d be heading into Romford: to sell off some stuff at the Romford branch of CeX.

I got an OK price for it, in the end.

Although we had to do a little haggling over the external blu-ray writer I was trying to sell.

CeX’s stock is all second hand, so you know: they buy it in from someone at one price, and then sell it on for another, higher, price.

They sold the specific model I was selling for some eighty-five pounds: but bought it in for some twelve quid.

They sold generic ones for fifty-two quid: and bought those in for thirty.

I settled for the generic price, understandably.

But that price difference?

Seems a little … odd.

~≈📀≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Spanish is one of six official UN languages. Name one of the other five.

Q2)        Spanish is what kind of language: Romance, Germanic or Celtic?

Q3)        Modern standard Spanish is is descended from what: Catalan, Castilian or Aranese?

Q4)        Spanish is not an official language, where: Brazil, Cuba or the Dominican Republic?

Q5)        Finally … ?   UN Spanish Language Day was originally marked on the 12th of what: October, November or December?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        22nd April, 1983, saw Stern Magazine announce they’d found whose diaries, in East Berlin: Hitler’s, Stalin’s or Churchill’s?
A1)        Hitler’s.

Q2)        22nd April, 1937, saw the birth of actor, Jack Nicholson.   In which film did he play Colonel Nathan R. Jessup?
A2)        A Few God Men.

Q3)        The Big Number Change took place, in the UK: on 22nd April, 2000.   It involved a change to what: phone numbers, car number plates or street addresses?
A3)        Phone numbers.   (The change was mostly to area codes.)

Q4)        22nd April is Discovery Day.   In which South American country: Brazil, Colombia or Ecuador?
A4)        Brazil.   Cue the music.

Q5)        Finally … ?   St Arwald’s Day is on the 22nd April.   He was the last Anglo Saxon king of where: the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Mann or the Isle of Dogs?
A5)        The Isle of Wight.
Here’s a presidential thought … 
“Our connection with Spain is already important and will become daily more so. Besides this the antient part of American history is written chiefly in Spanish.”
Thomas Jefferson.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        The place looks amazing, Olga!   And — if Google’s right! — the article’s comparing it to Camden Market: I thought the look of the place was familiar!   I’ll have to see if I can persuade Ruth a trip’s in order!   And it’s got an arthouse cinema?   I think Camden can match that: although I don’t know if it’s got one!   I’m going to have to book mark the place!
As for selling on FB … ?   Well … they did ask about adverts: but I decided not to got for it, as I had CeX as a fall back.   I’ve a couple of box sets to go: I may look at ebay for those, as I could get more.

†        I knew how the Major Leagues worked, Trevor: and that always seemed odd.   Surely, relegation and promotion are encouragements to do well?   Honestly!   I did hear about the German model, as well: it seems a good idea, but I think you’ll get an argument from some owners!

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        You do?   Just don’t ask about the other meaning of the word, Debbi!   Actually, I did a quick Google search for row housing: as terrace housing’s the usual UK term.   There’s a few in Brentwood: from posh townhouses to far more working class places.   I’ll have to try and do a snap of some of the ones on Western Avenue.
Now, baseball …
Baseball terms don’t get relegated or promoted?   Blimey!

ª        Oh, now there’s an old tune, Edith!   I love the guitar part in it!   Oh, blimey: John Waite’s from Lancashire: Trevor’s part of the world!   Sort of … !

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) English

Q2) Romance

Q3) Castilian

Q4) Brazil

Q5) 12th of October
Well, if you come whenever that is possible (fingers crossed), let me know. I've always liked the place, even when it was rundown, but I'm happy it's found a new life now, because quite a few of the shopping galleries have closed down here.
Thanks for the Spanish day. It's Sant Jordi (Saint George's Day, in Catalan) and we celebrate the day of the rose and the book here. Although not totally back to normal, there will be some things going on today (it's pretty big here, in Barcelona, normally. Museums are open free, there are stalls selling books [discounted] with authors signing copies, stalls with roses also, and all kinds of street events as well) and I'm going to head off with my mother, as it looks sunny as well.
It's good the UN decided to change the date. The 12th of October is probably more controversial (imperial conquests are no longer fashionable or politically correct, for good reason).
My cousin used to sell some of his stuff on eBay and was quite happy with it as well, although I don't know what he's doing these days. Good luck selling yours (and yes, it sounds weird the difference in price I was quite surprised when I sold some of my books before I left the UK. Some of the ones that fetched the highest prices were tiny and quite cheap initially, while nobody wanted the expensive textbooks for life or money).

Freda said...

1 English
2 Romance
3 Catalan
4 Brazil
5 December

trev-v said...

A1 British English - prime Language of the world.
A2 Romance
A3 Castilian
A4 Brazil
A5 October

1st Happy St. George’s day Celebrated by all true English people.

2nd I come from Lincolnshire (good old Bomber County) which is further south than Lancashire and has the county of Yorkshire between the 2.

3rd I see Debbi wants to try Crumpets. I wonder if she would like to try the thinner version called Pikelets. I have eaten both. I have also met some Crumpet over the years.

Debbi said...

Baseball is ... complicated. I guess.

1. English
2. Romance
3. Castilian
4. Brazil
5. October

Edith said...

1. English
2.Romance
3.Castilian
4.Dominican Republic
5. November

I redid my answers. I tried to backspace and t

I never knew where John Waite called home.