Thursday, 19 January 2012

The Daily Teaser - 19-1-2012

Blimey, that’s something … !

You’ve probably worked out I’ve been following the news story about the SOPA and PIPA bills in the US, haven’t you … ?

Well …

I actually seen this piece of news on the BBC news site.

Seemingly … ?

Seemingly, 8 of the bill’s sponsors have decided to withdraw from its approval.

Which is a bit of a result for the anti-antipiracy* bill protestors.

Oh …

Something else for science fans … ?

Seemingly, an amateur British stargazer has found a planet … ! Which is nice.

Certainly got me wondering how to do it, certainly!

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Before I get too geeky … !

»»†««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi‡ — ALSO commenting on the anti-piracy bill — putting in her answers: and — keeping me on my toes, after I phrase a question badly, yesterday — bagging 6 out of 6ª.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here’s they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 19th January, 2038, will see some computer systems have a problem with the date: how is this known … ?

Q2) 19th January, 1977, saw President Gerald Ford pardon Iva Toguri D'Aquino: what was her nickname … ?

Q3) More to the point, on what charges … ?

Q4) 19th January, 1953, saw 68% of US tv sets tuning into which show … ?

Q5) 19th January, 1986, saw the first what released into the wild … ?

Q6) And finally … 19th January, 1893, saw the Premiere of The Master Builder, in Berlin. Who wrote The Master Builder: Anton Chekov, Henrik Ibsen or Bertoldt Brecht?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th January, 1990, saw the arrest — on drug possession charges — of Mayor Marion Barry: where was he mayor of … ?
A1) Washington D. C.

Q2) More to the point, agents from which law enforcement body arrested him … ?
A2) The FBI.

Q3) 18th January, 1915, saw Japan issue the 21 Demands: to whom … ?
A3) China.^

Q4) 18th January, 1977, saw the isolation of the bacterium that causes which disease?
A4) Legionnaire’s Disease.

Q5) 18th January, 1944, saw Soviet forces lift the siege of which city … ?
A5) Leningrad: or Saint Petersburg, as it’s now known.

Q6) And finally … 18th January, 1896, saw the first exhibition of which machine … ?
A6) The x-ray machine.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …









* OK, I made that word up: but can I offer you antidisestablishmentarianism by way of a precedent … ?

ª Extra point, there, I know, but I did phrase that question badly …

Naaaaah … You’ve just got caught between the big boys, Debbi … !

^ Which is where I fell down, of course

1 comment:

  1. You know, I almost put the country! Then, I looked at the wording. I should have put both. Oh, well. Thanks for the extra point there. :)

    1. the Unix Millennium Bug
    2. Tokyo Rose
    3. treason
    4. I Love Lucy
    5. computer virus
    6. Henrik Ibsen

    You, of all people, should appreciate the post I wrote for my Writing for Hire blog today. :)

    http://writing4hire.blogspot.com/2012/01/apple-amazon-and-sopapipa.html

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.