Tuesday 21 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21-9-2021: Belize

21st September, 2021.


OK … I’ll admit it: I got up before sunrise.

I usually do, as the nights start drawing in.

Frankly?

I’m enough of a romantic to think it looks … well … romantic.

Especially when I’m stuck indoors … 

~≈🚪≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        21st September is Independence Day in Belize: marking its Independence, in 1981.   From where: the UK, France or Germany?

Q2)        Belize is where: North America, Central America or South America?

Q3)        What’s Belize’s official language: English, French or German?

Q4)        Belize City is Belize’s what: largest city, smallest city or capital city?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Froyla Tzalam is Belize’s current what: Governor General, Prime Minister or President?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The Moomins appeared in English, for the first time: on 20th September, 1954.   In which newspaper: The Times, the Evening News or the Sunday Times?
A1)        The Evening News.

Q2)        The Moomin tales were originally written in which language: Swedish, Finnish or Sami?
A2)        Swedish.

Q3)        The original Moomin books were written by Tove Janssen.   Tove Janssen was from which European country: Sweden, Finland or Samaria?
A3)        Finland.   (As Old Peculiar regular, Nina — theologian, student, and proud Finn — will remind us, Finland has a sizeable Swedish speaking minority: as well as a significant minority of Sami speakers.  Samaria is in what was Israel and now the West Bank.)

Q4)        The Moomins lived where: Moominvalley, Moominhole or Moominstad?
A4)        Moominvalley.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The three central characters are Moominpapa, Moominmama and Moomin who: Moominboy, Moomingirl or Moomintroll?
A5)        Moomintroll.   (He’s also called Moomin in some of the translations.)
Here’s a thought … 
“Sub umbra floreo”  (Latin)
“Under the shade I flourish.”
Belize’s motto.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Trust me, I’m doing exercises, Olga: I might just have to open a window, though, to get some air in!
        We had the Moomins and Barbapapa, Olga: I can vaguely remember the latter.   I can remember Barbapapa oozing around his house: that’s the best way of putting it.
        Now I think of it?   The BBC showed quite a lot of (iffily dubbed) European kids TV when I was growing up.   The Singing Ringing Tree was ever so slightly scary: and The White Horses had the catchiest theme tune.


        Oh, I’m going to get the £10 Christmas bonus, Trevor?   That’s … well, that makes up for losing the £20 uplift.   You can imagine my sarcasm, can’t you … ?
        At ANY rate … ?   I’ve enough to get some Christmas gifts.   Finding something for a picky nephew is awkward!

        Hello, Mum.   (I’ve got my eye on something for Jude.)

^        I’ve noticed the ’toons, Debbi!   😀
        I wish I’d bookmarked it: but I can remember reading about a right handed prosecutor in the UK.   He’d write his in-court notes, right handedly: but would sketch the defendants left-handedly.   Apparently, he found it helped him make decisions about the defendant, and about the direction of the prosecution’s case.   Where I saw that, I don’t know!

4 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 The UK
A2 Central America
A3 English
A4 largest city
A5 Governor General

I am not having a good month. First I had a laptop die on me and then last Friday night my TalkTalk TV box had difficulties with the subscription channels. New box on the way may be here today. Yesterday my faithful fast boiling kettle died on me. It had given over 21 years of faithful service.
So on to Amazon to buy a new one. In the meantime I am boiling water in a small saucepan on the cooker so that I can drink coffee.
This morning I opened my email browser and there is an email from Tesco’s cancelling this mornings delivery due to Store Issues.

You can guess that I am not a happy bunny.

Olga said...

Q1) The UK

Q2) Central America

Q3) English

Q4) Largest city (not much imagination there)

Q5) Governor General
They showed quite a few children's programmes from other countries here as well, although not that one. The Magic Roundabout, Thunderbirds, Pippy Longstockings... And I definitely remember the music of White Horses, but it might have been from the UK, as I used to listen to Radio 2 on Christmas, and they always had a programme with children's songs (Nellie the Elephant and Pete the Magic Dragon became favourites of mine).
Good luck with the gift hunt! (Oh, I just heard from the teaching agency. It seems we'll start with Anna's lessons soon, although it will only be once a week. Fingers crossed she passes the exam this year).

Freda said...

1 UK
2 Central America
3 English
4 Largest city
5 Govenor General

Debbi said...

Well, I can safely say I've never tried that. :)

1. the UK
2. Central America
3. English
4. largest city
5. Governor General