Saturday 25 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25th October, 2021.

25th September, 2021.


Right … I’m assuming you’ve seen the news?

If you haven’t, Russell T. Davies — the producer who successfully revived Doctor Who, back in 2005 — has been reappointed as show runner: in something of an unprecedented move.

I have to admit, I’m in two minds.

On the one hand … ?

The man was instrumenting in the show’s revival: and responsible for what’s seen as a golden age.

A second Davies era could well be a good idea.

On the other hand … ?

It could well be a creative step backwards.

After all, the show has moved forward: both in terms of the story lines, and in the technology.

I think I can say a few things, though.

It’s a safe bet that Christopher Eccleston won’t be back for the show’s sixtieth anniversary.

Given that Eccleston’s relationship with his immediate superiors is known to have been rocky.

I always think that we can scrub most of the bookies favourites for the role of the Fourteenth Doctor.

With the possible exception of Olly Alexander.

As I think the new actor could well come from the company that worked with Davies on It’s a Sin, or Years and Years, as Alexander did.

I was also thinking — last night — that Lydia West was a possible contender for either 14th Doctor, or as a new companion.

Although, in the cold light of day, and given her other commitments?

That seems less likely.

Frankly?   And come 2023, when Davies is scheduled to take over?

That’s when we find out … 

~≈📺≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Edith*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Olga^, and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        TAT-1 was opened for business: on 25th September, 1956.   It was the world’s first submarine transatlantic, underwater what: navigation guide, telephone cable or camera?

Q2)        The first Marathon took place on 25th September, 1977.   The first Marathon, where: Chicago, New York or Seattle?

Q3)        25th September is the feast day of Saint Finbarr of where: Cork, Dublin or Galway?

Q4)        Actor, producer and rapper, Will Smith, was born on 25th September, 1968.   In which TV series did he play Will Smith … ?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Declan Donnelly was born on 25th September, 1975.   Who’s his usual comedy partner?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        24th September saw the birth of puppeteer, Jim Henson.   In which year of the 1930s?
A1)        1936.

Q2)        He graduated from University of Maryland, College Park in 1960.   With a degree in what: sculpture, drama or home economics?
A2)        Believe it or not, Home Economics. (Apparently, he got a B.S.)

Q3)        He was famous for creating many of the Muppets: for a US children’s show that started in 1969.   Which children’s show: Tom Foolery, Sesame Street or Larry Smith Puppets?
A3)        Sesame Street.

Q4)        The original The Muppet Movie was produced by Jim Henson.   In which year of the 1970s?
A4) 1979.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Henson’s home was given a Blue Plaque, this year.   His home, where: London, New York or Paris?
A5)        London.
Here’s a thought … 
“I've been married to a dental hygienist for years and if you think I haven't heard ‘Use the Floss’ you'd be mistaken.”
Mark Hamill, born September 25, 1951.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        Good morning, Edith!   :D   It’s lovely to see you back, here!   (Your a friend: and it’s nice having a friend over.)

        It sound rougher than it seems, Trevor.   (He says, edging gently away.   Oh, have you seen the news … ?)

        Hello, Mum!

^        Yeah: it sounds like Mr Puigdemont has a legal fight ahead, Olga!   And yes: the immigration issue has a certain amount of irony.   As does the situation with Russell T. Davies.   A lot of people had been saying “Bring back RTD.”   Now he’s back, there’s a few saying “Is that a good idea?”   Me included.
        The only trouble there, is that Russell T. Davies has won more awards than the average trucker!
        At any rate … ?   I’ll keep my fingers crossed the blog holds up.   Now … do we get to see you in the t-shirt?   :D

ª        Character is putting it mildly, Debbi!
        At ANY rate, I’m assuming you’ve seen the news, by now: Russell T. Davies will be back in the saddle, by 2023: the 60th anniversary year.   I’m in two minds, there, Debbi … 

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Telephone cable

Q2) Chicago

Q3) Cork

Q4) The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Q5) Ant McPartlin
Yes, one has to wonder. Segundas partes nunca fueron buenas (The Spanish version of second parts never being great, so I guess it's pretty universal), but he might surprise as yet (RTD, I mean. Puigdemont and his lawyers for sure will. He's like the Scarlet Pimpernel... Well, the immunity was lifted, on the understanding that there was no risk that he'd be arrested, because they seem to have thought all the arrest orders had been removed, but that was not the case... What a mess).
As for a pic with the T-shirt... It's yellow. My mother came with me, although she didn't exercise, just stayed outside with my bag, so I didn't have my phone on me. Mind you, the whole world seemed to be taking pictures, so I suspect I must appear in plenty of people's pics. I'll check and share some of the pics at least, even if not mine.

trev-v said...

A1 telephone cable
A2 Chicago (first modern marathon 1896 Athens. Boston 1897 first in USA)
A3 Cork
A4 The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
A5 Anthony David McPartlin

Yesterday I had Penny round for a birthday lunch. She posted one of the cards I gave her on Facebook in various groups. She enjoyed the sheet music that I gave her for her electronic Piano keyboard and borrowed a CD of one of the composers(Erik Satie) that she was not sure of. Wonder when I will get it back. She still had a number of discworld novels which she has borrowed but has yet to return.

Freda said...

1 Telephone cable
2 New York
3 Cork
4 Fresh Prince
5 Antony Mc Partlin

Edith said...

1. Camara
2. New York
3. Cork
4. The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air
5. James Cordon

The quiz wakes me up. I am glad to see you again.

Debbi said...

I see you are, and I see your point. However, since he's still actively involved in the entertainment business (i.e., likely keeps up with trends, to some extent), I think there are more potential positives than negatives. I'm hopeful, at any rate.

1. telephone cable
2. Chicago
3. Cork
4. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
5. Ant McPartlin