Thursday 30 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30th September, 2021

30th September, 2021.


I’ve just had another look: and yes.

It’s raining!

Which means just one thing.

I’m going to get wet, when I pick up my meds!

~≈fl≈~

You will have realised that I’m job hunting, at the moment.

Like most of us on Universal Credit, I’m getting the £20 weekly uplift to my benefits: which adds up to some eighty or so pounds a week, and that’s due to end in next week.

At least, that’s what Radio 4’s Today programme is telling me.

Apparently?   There’s a grant — called the Housing Support Fund — that’s due to be started in October.

I’ve been messaging my Job Centre case worker, and Brentwood Council, AND my councillors, to see how I apply for that.

But … ?

My basic objection to that sort of thing still remains.

A large, one off grant?   Is not as useful as the direct £20 uplift.

And, given this grant will be administered by my local council?

Sounds like it’ll be far more difficult to apply for.

~≈fl≈~

As a final point … ?

I caught another episode of Lovecraft Country on Tuesday: and uploaded my video review, last night.

Can I suggest catching this episode?

It’s fantastic: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Call of Cthulhu meets The Goonies only starts to describe it.


~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        30th September, 1968, saw a plane shown to the public for the first time.   Which plane: the Airbus A380, the Boeing 747 or the Lockheed C5 Galaxy?

Q2)        30th September, 1947, saw the birth of singer, Mark Feld.   He was better known how: Alvin Stardust, Marc Bolan or Noddy Holder?

Q3)        Singer-songwriter, Trey Anastasio was born on 30th September, 1964.   He’s a co-founder of a band called what: Phrog, Phish, or Phrankie goes to Dollywood?

Q4)        Tennis player, Martina Hingis was born on 30th September 1980.   In which country: Czechoslovakia, Switzerland or the USA?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The first American football game to be televised, was broadcast on 30th September of which year: 1938, 1939 or 1940?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Miguel de Cervantes was born on 29th September, 1547.   In what’s now which European country: Portugal, France or Spain?
A1)        Spain.   (As of the time of writing — 10/9/2021 — Wikipedia tells us it’s his assumed date of birth.)

Q2)        He was born in the territory run by the Crown of where: Castile, Provence or Prussia?
A2)        Castile.

Q3)        According to his Wikipedia entry, Miguel wrote in which which language: Spanish, French or Hebrew?
A3)        Spanish.

Q4)        His best known work, Don Quixote, is considered to be the first what: novel, poem or podcast?
A4)        Novel.

Q5)        Finally … ?   His first published work, La Galatea, was published in which year: 1584, 1585 or 1586?
A5)        1585.
Here’s a thought … 
“If you really want to learn about a person, play a round of golf with him or her.”
Johnny Mathis born September 30, 1935.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        ‘More eager to get work,’ Olga?   That sounds a lot like Boris ‘Jobs-led recovery’ Johnson!   Yes: I’m eager to work.   Nope: no-one’s actually offering me a job.   And yes: I think the age thing’s a very big factor: it’s why I’ve long since taken my birthday off my CV.   And I’ve been thinking exactly that: giving employers tax breaks for hiring older workers would help!
        At any rate, I hope the stomach clears up!

        Hello, Mum!

        Cheers, Trevor: I’ve found those!   Whether I’d get them … 

^        I don’t know if Cervantes did a podcast … but Velazquez does facial reconstruction … 

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Boeing 747

Q2) Marc Bolan

Q3) Phish (never heard of them that I know of).

Q4) Czechoslovakia

Q5) 1939
Yes, getting the age off the CV can help, but I imagine if you include your experience and all, it's probably not that difficult to work out (although nowadays, the CVs seem to be more about looking good than providing very detailed information, but...)
The volunteering sector might obviate some of the issues, but they've been hit so hard by the cuts, that getting any kind of paying position (however modest the pay) there must be akin to winning the lottery.
Good luck with the Fund as well, although it might well be that the information as to how to apply for it hasn't been distributed yet. As we all know, talking about something and getting it done are two very different things.
Stay well. (My stomach seems to be slightly better, but I'm just being quietly optimistic, as you never know).

trev-v said...

A1 Boeing 747
A2 Marc Bolan
A3 Phish
A4 Czechoslovakia
A5 1939

Well all of my pills arrived at about 11.30 yesterday. Not my usual guy Steve but a young Lady.

I remember standing on Boston Manor tube station and seeing the early morning arrival of Boeing 747s. They landed on two parallel runways at Heathrow and from Boston Manor looking towards Richmond and Kew it looked like the 747s were touching wing tips as they came into land. That was back in the 1970’s

Edith said...

1, Boeing 747
2. Marc Bolan
3. Phish
4. USA
5. 1938

Hello, Paul. Did you not get my answers yesterday? Oh, well.

Freda said...

1 747
2 Marc Bolan
3 Phrog
4 Switzerland
5 1940

Debbi said...

I'll just bet he does. :)

1. the Boeing 747
2. Marc Bolan (I remember T Rex)
3. Phish
4. Czechoslovakia
5. 1939