Thursday 9 September 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9th September, 2021.

9th September, 2021.


Yes: it’s officially rained, overnight.

And the day … ?   Is officially cloudy.

Which makes a nice change: even if the BBC’s weather pages tells me it’s going to be 23ºc, today.



Hey ho!

~≈🌤≈~

Oh, Boy, but I’m tired!

To the point where going back to bed seems to make sense.

Getting to bed at twelve-thirty does not get easier, as you get older.

But … ?

I’m tired as a result of finishing my review of Sundown: the first episode of series one of Lovecraft Country.


As knackered as it’s left me?

I think I’ve done some good work.

~≈🦑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring ten out of ten, and Mum on seven.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Edward Barnard discovered Amalthea: on 9th September, 1892.   Amalthea is a moon of which planet: Mars, Jupiter or Saturn?

Q2)        9th September saw the death of Mao Zedong.   He’s been the communist leader of where: China, Cambodia or Taiwan?

Q3)        Who became the UK’s longest reigning monarch: on 9th September, 2015?

Q4)        Topol was born on 9th September, 1935.   He played Dr Hans Zharkov: in which 1980 film?

Q5)        The late great Otis Redding was born on September 9, 1941.   He co-wrote (Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay with whom: Steve Cropper, Donald ‘Duck’ Dunn or Booker T. Jones?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        8th September saw the birth of actor, comedian and singer, Peter Sellers.   In which year of the 1920s?
A1)        1925.

Q2)        During the Second World War, Sellers was a member of which of the UK’s Armed Forces: the Army, the RAF or the Royal Navy?
A2)        The RAF.

Q3)        Famously, Sellers was a regular cast member in The Goon Show: which debuted in 1951.   Who was the The Goon Show’s creator and main writer?
A3)        Sir Terence Arthur ‘SpikeMilligan.

Q4)        Sellers played which insect-like character in The Goon Show: Blowfly, Bumblebee or Bluebottle?
A4)        Enter, Bluebottle.   Waits for applause: as usual, not a sausage!

Q5)        1955 saw him playing Harry Robinson in The Ladykillers.   Who played Professor Marcus: Ian Richardson, Alec Guinness or Jack Hawkins?
A5)        Alec Guinness.

Q6)        Sellers plays Fred Kite in a Boulting Brothers film.   Which Boulting Brothers film: Heavens Above, I’m Alright, Jack or Brighton Rock?
A6)        I’m Alright, Jack.

Q7)        He also played Grand Duchess Gloriana 12th in The Mouse that what?
A7)        The Mouse that Roared.

Q8)        1962 saw Sellers playing Clare Quilty in 1962’s Lolita.   Who directed Lolita?
A8)        Stanley Kubrick.

Q9)        The Pink Panther movies saw Peter Sellers playing his signature character: Inspector Jacques … whom?
A9)        Inspector Jacques Clouseau.

Q10)        Finally … ?   Sellers never won an Oscar.   But received a Best Actor nomination for which 1979 film: Alien, Being There or Caligula?
A10)        Being There.
Here’s a thought … 
“Perhaps I could say that most of my writing has been concerned with understanding between people.”
Phyllis A. Whitney, September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008.
And a song …


Famously, the Blues Brother did a version.


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        That’s very true, Olga: it’s sort of why I like poking around old churches, sometimes: the art, and architecture is quite something to see.   We’ve actually got a Catholic cathedral in in Brentwood, as well, although I’ve never been inside.   It’s dedicated to Mary, inevitably, and Saint Helen.
        Hmmm … a Black Madonna?   I think I remember reading about them: there’s a few around Europe, I think.
        I DO know I’ve visited Saint Thomas’, the Church of England church in Brentwood High Street: the stained glass is amazing!   (They have frequent classical music concerts: Trevor’s a regular at them.)

        Main storage?   That’s about — what — 1.2 kilobytes, Trevor, isn’t it?   My old Spectrum was more powerful, I think.   A whole 48k!
        My old Ericsson GA628 was more powerful than both … 

        Hello, Mum!   (I can still remember Grans old transistor radio: that red thing with the big dial.    She had it on top of the fridge, didn’t she … ?)

^        Well, Seller’s is worth ten, I think, Debbiª.   So his’s old comrade in arms, Spike Milligan.


ª        JUST as a quick thought, Debbi?   I watched the first episode of Lovecraft Country, on Tuesday.   Would I be right in assuming this character’s supposed to be Jackie Robinson?   He was a Dodgers player, wasn’t he?



5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Jupiter
A2 China
A3 H.M. Queen Elizabeth II (God save the Queen)
A4 Flash Gordon ( I preferred the black & white serial version we saw at Saturday morning kids cinema)
A5 Steve Cropper

I have been to music concerts at Both the Cathedral and St. Thomas’. The last Friday of the month lunch time concerts at St. Thomas’ were a mixture of musical styles. Classical, Barber shop choir and Jazz. An evening concert at St. Thomas’ was a group of Zulu men and women singing and dancing. They wore traditional Zulu costumes and so most of the women were bare breasted.
The Cathedral was mainly organ recitals as they are linked together with the London Organ school. I did see the Hamburg Girls choir there one lunch time. They played the theatre at Westcliff in the evening. We the audience sat on one side of the circular cathedral and the girls choir came and formed a square round us. They sane in several European languages.


Olga said...

Q1) Jupiter

Q2) China

Q3) Queen Elizabeth II

Q4) Flash Gordon (I hadn’t realised that, although I haven’t watched the film in years).

Q5) Steve Cropper (What a fabulous song!)
Yes, there are a few Black Madonnas around. La Basílica de Montserrat, a Benedictine Monastery, is well known for its Boys' Choir (a bit like the Vienna's Boys Choir), and it is quite something to go there during the school year and hear them. I am a fan of stained-glass windows, and there are some true beauties around.
I don't tolerate late nights as well as I used to either, Paul, but I try not to go to bed too early, just in case I get to like it too much. (I do get up early anyway, but still).
Take care.

Freda said...

1 Jupiter
2 China
3 Eluzabeth 2nd
4 The spy who Loved Me
5 Steve Cropper

trev-v said...

Speaking of St. Thomas'. The oddest use it was put to back in 2013 was as the venue for a model railway exhibition. The assistant Vicar was running a live steam locomotive on a circle of track just in front of the Alter fence.

Here are a few pictures of the exhibition.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/104588431445751467545/album/AF1QipOAhEbd4n2mNMuqYHeVs65B789859zK5qzpQz18

Debbi said...

Yes, he was with the Dodgers. The Brooklyn Dodgers. :)

1. Jupiter
2. China
3. Queen Elizabeth II
4. Flash Gordon
5. Steve Cropper